Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Results 76 to 87 of 87
  1. #76

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: CM Who Set Off Dry Ice Bomb Convicted

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Yet the quotes from the guests who were nearby when the "bomb" went off in the trash can were nowhere near what is being exaggerated in these "what-if" scenarios. People heard a "phwump" and didn't know what it was. There was no damage, no fear, no panic, no nothing. People didn't know what was going on until Disney evacuated toontown. That's how little the effect of this prank was.

    Fire the guy, yes. Probation and community service, yes. But jail time for this incident is outrageous overkill and obviously politicized.
    so a dry ice bomb caused the evacuation of toontown and the arrival of a PD and a bomb squad. That's a LITTLE effect? Seems rather large scale to me. In fact if his intent (no saying it was) was to disturb the flow of disneyland. He succeed. Just like graffitti and theft not all crime has to include death and injury to be effective.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

    Hope I was helpful!

  2. #77

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: CM Who Set Off Dry Ice Bomb Convicted

    Everyone's arguing that because he didn't hurt someone he should be slapped on the wrist. He wasn't convicted for 36 months because he hurt someone (obviously). You don't have to cause injury to receive punishment.

    The state proved what they did and it was probably a case built off the potential for damage and the requirement of multiple resources and the activation of a controlled explosive or a IED. just because nobody died or a building didn't collapse doesn't make what he set off an IED

    The guy actually got it easy he's not a convicted felon so no prison time, he's still allowed to vote, can still apply for jobs, allowed to carry a firearm and other freedoms and rights lost when convicted that he retains.

    If your punishment for getting CAUGHT was to be fired I'm sure it would continue. Because your boss who has done the prank in the past would probably take it easy on you. However with standards set forward if you get caught your friendly boss would have no say in punishment and you're looking at a jail time.

    Glad the the known liberal state laid down some precedent in this case.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

    Hope I was helpful!

  3. #78

    • Unhelpful User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    935

    Re: CM Who Set Off Dry Ice Bomb Convicted

    Man, the post 9/11 world is terrible. Was kids putting mentos in a pepsi bottle an IED before 9/11? I doubt it

  4. #79

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    390

    Re: CM Who Set Off Dry Ice Bomb Convicted

    Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    Man, the post 9/11 world is terrible. Was kids putting mentos in a pepsi bottle an IED before 9/11? I doubt it
    It depends on whether the DA wants to make a name for himself.
    From the press release:
    Deputy District Attorney Andrew Katz of the Special Prosecutions Unit prosecuted this case.
    This DA originally filed felony charges, so pleading guilty to a misdemeanor was likely the best option in this case.
    The jail part of the sentence is "time served" (that is not in the DA press release).

  5. #80

    • Greetings, Program!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,516

    Re: CM Who Set Off Dry Ice Bomb Convicted

    He was sentenced to 36 days not 36 months.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

    AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

  6. #81

    • Greetings, Program!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,516

    Re: CM Who Set Off Dry Ice Bomb Convicted

    Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    Man, the post 9/11 world is terrible. Was kids putting mentos in a pepsi bottle an IED before 9/11? I doubt it
    You can thank Al Qaeda for that.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

    AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

  7. #82

    • Unhelpful User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    41

    Re: CM Who Set Off Dry Ice Bomb Convicted

    People do jail time for smoking weed, so jail time for this seems reasonable. System of laws is very messed up in the states

  8. #83

    • Singing Drinker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,150

    Re: CM Who Set Off Dry Ice Bomb Convicted

    Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    The jail part of the sentence is "time served" (that is not in the DA press release).
    That's good to hear. I had a suspicion, but everything was based off the same press release.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

  9. #84

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    736

    Re: CM Who Set Off Dry Ice Bomb Convicted

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Yet the quotes from the guests who were nearby when the "bomb" went off in the trash can were nowhere near what is being exaggerated in these "what-if" scenarios. People heard a "phwump" and didn't know what it was. There was no damage, no fear, no panic, no nothing. People didn't know what was going on until Disney evacuated toontown. That's how little the effect of this prank was.

    Fire the guy, yes. Probation and community service, yes. But jail time for this incident is outrageous overkill and obviously politicized.
    Very often people are used as an example to insure other people don't do the same thing. To be honest would it send a message to high school kids not to do it if he had not gotten smacked down hard? I doubt it... but when someone hears that he actually got jail time it makes it a much better deterrent to others that might try to do the same thing.

    Whether you like it or not. That is a large part of why some punishments seem extreme... not simply because of a what if, but to send a clear message that something will not be tolerated.

  10. #85

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,787

    Re: CM Who Set Off Dry Ice Bomb Convicted

    Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
    You can thank Al Qaeda for that.
    No, you can thank the individuals who choose to live in fear instead of going about their day rationally. The idea people want to give this kid jail time tells me they allow the acts of Al Qaeda to affect them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogermeyers View Post
    People do jail time for smoking weed, so jail time for this seems reasonable. System of laws is very messed up in the states
    Yet more than half of the US population now believes that putting people in jail for smoking pot is idiotic and wasteful, the same applies here. All states will legalize it eventually, it's only a matter of time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    Very often people are used as an example to insure other people don't do the same thing. To be honest would it send a message to high school kids not to do it if he had not gotten smacked down hard? I doubt it... but when someone hears that he actually got jail time it makes it a much better deterrent to others that might try to do the same thing.

    Whether you like it or not. That is a large part of why some punishments seem extreme... not simply because of a what if, but to send a clear message that something will not be tolerated.
    That's not how our laws work. You can't just pick and choose who you want to make an example of and go overboard on severity to scare others. We are all suppose to be tried equally and fairly. This is a very dangerous notion you are advocating.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 11-09-2013 at 03:05 PM.

  11. #86

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,018

    Re: CM Who Set Off Dry Ice Bomb Convicted

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    No, you can thank the individuals who choose to live in fear instead of going about their day rationally. The idea people want to give this kid jail time tells me they allow the acts of Al Qaeda to affect them.



    Yet more than half of the US population now believes that putting people in jail for smoking pot is idiotic and wasteful, the same applies here. All states will legalize it eventually, it's only a matter of time.



    That's not how our laws work. You can't just pick and choose who you want to make an example of and go overboard on severity to scare others. We are all suppose to be tried equally and fairly. This is a very dangerous notion you are advocating.
    This.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  12. #87

    •   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Not quite here.
    Posts
    21,420

    Re: CM Who Set Off Dry Ice Bomb Convicted

    Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Even with drunk driving - you are charged with drunk driving, not manslaughter. The punishment for drunk driving itself might be higher due to the potential for harm, but you are still not charged with what "could have" happened.
    But compare this to someone shooting a gun into a large crowd, yet hitting no one.

    That person will be charged and sentenced for committing a serious crime. It is a felony in most, if not all states, and it probably sends the shooter to a hard core prison, not just a county jail.
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

    Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

    [None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Dry ice bomber released on OR
    By Jerryp49 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 02:50 PM
  2. Wider-Reaching Discussion/Debate of the Disneyland 'Dry Ice' Incident.
    By RegionsBeyond in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 07:15 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 02:30 PM
  4. News article Arraignment Set For Man Who Crashed Near Disneyland
    By Crazy Legs in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 07:23 PM
  5. Ice Cream Social - Who's Gonna Be There?
    By NeverNeverland in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 01:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •