View Poll Results: What S Cal theme park addition are you most excited about?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Universal Hwood's Wizarding World of Harry Potter

52 62.65%
  • DCA's Monster's door coaster

4 4.82%
  • Dland's Tomorrowland changes--whenever that happens (If?)

17 20.48%
  • Knott's dark ride--whenever that happens (If if does.)

4 4.82%
  • Magic Mtn's next coaster--whatever that is

2 2.41%
  • Jcruise, you forgot one. Please see my post below.

2 2.41%
  • The indoor water park hotel coming to Garden Grove--if it does

0 0%
  • Dumbo's Pink Elephants Acid Trip

2 2.41%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What S Cal theme park development R U most excited about?

I vote Potter as well. I love the HP series and have read them all aloud to my kid twice so far. I can't wait to take her. I'll probably feel the same way about a Star Wars expansion, whenever and however that ends up happening, and for the same reason: It's something I can share with my kid because it's something we both love.

I honestly don't think Disney has anything outside of Star Wars that has a chance of competing with Potter World in terms of drawing people. Tweaking Tomorrowland is something I'd love to see, but it's peanuts to adding an entire "land" based on a beloved franchise. I know, I know. Some people are sick of franchises, and that's fine. I'm just saying that Potter World will garner huge amounts of publicity and, as others mentioned above, will draw people away from the Disney parks. I just don't see how Disney has anything outside of Star Wars to draw that kind of attention. I honestly hope they don't do anything severe to Tomorrowland (I'd rather see Star Wars get its own land somewhere, if possible), but I imagine they'll need to do something big as a counter.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    I vote Potter as well. I love the HP series and have read them all aloud to my kid twice so far. I can't wait to take her. I'll probably feel the same way about a Star Wars expansion, whenever and however that ends up happening, and for the same reason: It's something I can share with my kid because it's something we both love.

I honestly don't think Disney has anything outside of Star Wars that has a chance of competing with Potter World in terms of drawing people. Tweaking Tomorrowland is something I'd love to see, but it's peanuts to adding an entire "land" based on a beloved franchise. I know, I know. Some people are sick of franchises, and that's fine. I'm just saying that Potter World will garner huge amounts of publicity and, as others mentioned above, will draw people away from the Disney parks. I just don't see how Disney has anything outside of Star Wars to draw that kind of attention. I honestly hope they don't do anything severe to Tomorrowland (I'd rather see Star Wars get its own land somewhere, if possible), but I imagine they'll need to do something big as a counter.
    I think you may have expressed the problem I have with the IP-based expansions.

Disney's in a corner. A self created corner built by laid off Imagineers working for Universal and a bidding war they never really fully engaged with on both IP and technology fronts, but still.

It's hard to imagine a "better" Potter. Sure, there are improvements you can make around the edges, but the core product is amazing. Disney might be able to equal it, but barring massive advances of technology there's not a whole lot they can do to *surpass* it. They're still going to butt up against "did they make a good version of this person's dream". Once you have the answer of "near perfectly hell yes", it's hard to go further.

Sure, you'll get fans who'll break one way or another. I have doubts that the cosplayer with the perfectly detailed Boba Fett armor is going to suddenly preach the wonders of HP over SW, much the same as the Potterites who are hardcore fans probably aren't really going to be as down for SW.

The only way to truly break out and make something exceptional is to do something original. Something quality, something supported by the full might of the Disney machine. So long as you're recreating someone else's widely recognized property, you're limited by that fandom bar. Disney might be able to equal Potter with SW or Marvel, but they're never going to better it.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post

Thanks, Blake.
    I thought I was one of the best dads because I'm halfway through book six, then you come along and read the whole series TWICE to your kid. That's well over 8,000 pages for the American version, btw. Now I have to keep my kid away from Micechat. "Dad, Blake read the series to his kid twice." Yeah, thanks again, Blake. But seriously, I'm impressed!

The excitement around Star Wars will be related to the quality of JJ Abrams movie, which might vary inversely with George Lucas' involvement. Abrams said he was more of a Star Wars guy when he took on his first Star Trek film, but I enjoyed "Star Trek Into Darkness" so much that I'm optimistic about the coming Star Wars movies.

I'd like both American Space Mountains changed into Space Mountain Ranges, featuring Star Wars. I want more speed, more darkness, taller hills, an = # of right and left turns, a very different experience on the two tracks, and creative use of special effects that have yet to be imagined. Maybe a third track could be more family friendly.

Bog Lurch, I agree that Potter is a special world. I think he books will still be popular in 40 years, and that the entire series will be remade at least two more times before America's tricentennial. There's a lot in the novels that haven't made it into the movies, and brilliant directors & writers might know that film is a different medium than the written word, and may add things rather than just see how faithful they can be. And if cinema history is any indication, the special effects in 30 years will surpass today's so as to make new versions (potentially) worthwhile.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-08-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Thanks, Blake.
    I thought I was one of the best dads because I'm halfway through book six, then you come along and read the whole series TWICE to your kid. That's well over 8,000 pages for the American version, btw. Now I have to keep my kid away from Micechat. "Dad, Blake read the series to his kid twice." Yeah, thanks again, Blake. But seriously, I'm impressed!

Ha! Thanks.
    In fairness, that took something like two years, I think, and it was driven as much by my love of the books as hers. There were many nights when she'd fall asleep before I was ready to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    The excitement around Star Wars will be related to the quality of JJ Abrams movie, which might vary inversely with George Lucas' involvement. Abrams said he was more of a Star Wars guy when he took on his first Star Trek film, but I enjoyed "Star Trek Into Darkness" so much that I'm optimistic about the coming Star Wars movies.

I'm cautiously optimistic, largely due to Kasdan's involvement with the script. I like Abrams well enough, but I still consider him a big question mark when it comes to Star Wars. I liked the first Star Trek he did, with a few misgivings. I thought Star Trek Into Darkness had huge problems, but on second viewing I found I was having such a good time that I largely overlooked them. I'm not sure what kind of endorsement that is. I just know my rear end will be parked in a theater seat on opening day, and the movie that gets me to say that is pretty rare these days.

But I digress. I agree that excitement for Star Wars will be related to the new movie, but I don't think Disney is waiting for the movie to make plans for the parks. They've definitely already got something in the works. We just don't know exactly what. I hope that the arrival of Potter World (or whatever it's called) has them thinking big... as in "bigger than just adding/replacing stuff in Tomorrowland." I love Star Wars, but I'm one of those people who still misses the PeopleMover era Tomorrowland, and I don't want to see them just overhaul that section of the park with Star Wars theming. More importantly, and directly related to this thread topic, I think such an overhaul would look positively anemic next to Potter World and won't be anywhere near as much of a draw.

• secure all cargo

Harry Potter for sure. Wizarding World in Orlando is just really amazing, but it will be a long time I can get out there again, it will be nice to have some version of it here in California.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• former CM

With Iger's claim this week that more Star Wars is coming to the American resorts
    I thought I'd see a few more votes for Disneyland's Tomorrowland as the Southern California theme park development that more of you are excited about.

Then again, he was annoyingly short on specifics, and if this comes in at a Dwarf coaster pace,
    some of our kids may be driving before we can actually ride anything new in Tomorrowland. Iger does a good job of keeping fans hopeful for little money and at a glacial speed. Maybe we'll get a Star Wars restroom!

I'd like it if Iger would state that Star Wars and Marvel additions to the Disneyland Resort will arrive before MyMagic+ is implemented in Anaheim, or, better yet, instead of MyMagic+. I might be alone on this, but I prefer the current FP system.

If a new Golden Horseshoe Revue were returning in January or February to replace the Billies and Laughinstock, and if the show were not part of an overpriced meal, I'd be excited about that, though not quite Wizarding World excited.

I don't think this will happen though. The GHR was one of those things (like the Court of Angels) that made those fortunate guests who saw it feel like Disneyland was a good value because it didn't obviously generate enough money to pay for itself. The ironically named RISC don't comprehend this. (RasuloIgerStaggsCrofton--Eisner's post-Wells spawn. Michael admits that Frank was the crazy, creative one.)

A GHR with a required shockingly overpriced meal
    that would push the show beyond the budgets of many guests,
    like a more conspicuous Club 33 entrance,
    and like the MyMagic+ being implemented at Walt Disney World,
    would further the current regime's goal of obliterating Walt Disney's goal of making every park guest feel like a VIP. You don't hear the "every guest like an MVP" line at all these days (you did when I worked there in the early 80s) and we're coming closer to making many, many Disneyland and (especially) Disney World park-only guests feel like their families are walking through the first class section on an airplane on their way back to their slightly depressing coach section. (Jet Blue, MidWest Express, and SW were/are popular partly because everyone on board received the best service.) Disney used to admirably try to conceal class divisions inside of the parks. Sorry kids. Life's not THAT magical. Get used to it. (Or go the Smithsonian, a beach, or a national park.)

--Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 12-07-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typo

We come out to So Cal 3-4 times a year on vacation, and make a visit to DL on almost every trip. Never been to Universal, but once HP opens, we'll be dropping one of our DL visits per year and be going there instead.

• former CM

I'm gonna buy Universal Hollywood APs at Costco about 4-6 months before it opens because:
    1. I'm pretty sure the prices will jump up when (or soon before) butterbeer is served, and
    2. as with Transformers, they might let guests enter Hogwarts before it officially opens.

In addition to Ollivanders,
    a sorting hat "meet and greet" (held simultaneously in a number of rooms like the Mickey meet 'n' greet in his toontwoon house) could be awesome, unless of course my kid were put in Slytherin.

The best way to present the sorting hat would be if it were a puppet. The puppeteers would need to have their faces covered. They could speak & sing quietly and this could amplified to cool effect out of the hat's mouth.
    Maybe Universal would give me a butterbeer for this idea!
    Actually I bet dozens have already thought of this.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-09-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a price jump simmular to Disneylands 2012 price jump at USH, or at least a major ticket restructuring(no more buy a day, get a year free).

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised to see a price jump simmular to Disneylands 2012 price jump at USH, or at least a major ticket restructuring(no more buy a day, get a year free).
    Probably just a price hike. They didn't terminate the year for a day after the opening of Transformers, they'll likely be happy just following Disney's lead and staying *just* under the price.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• former CM

I forgot to add 60th Anniversary T-shirts as an option.

• former CM

So what happened to that Garden Grove indoor watetrpark/hotel?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    Well, since Potter is the only SoCal themepark expansion coming, I vote Potter.
    I must say Im shocked at the lack of DLR counter to Potter. There is going to be a significant shift in tourist dollars from DLR to USH when Potter opens. That is one of the biggest reasons that I was willing to believe the Miceage Monstropolis rumor for DCA. I just believed that surely Anaheim would do something to blunt the Potter impact. Well, at least we have Orlando constantly pumping out upgrades, new resorts and new attractions. My dollars will be going out there for the foreseeable future.
    There's no point in countering Potter and Disney knows that. Harry Potter is unparalleled in its popularity and nothing Disney can do will be able to take that away. Monster's Inc...seriously? No way the majority of SoCal tourists decide Monstropolis is more worth seeing than Harry Potter.

Even more importantly, however, is that Disney probably doesn't have to counter it. WDW is doing just fine. I'm sure DL is counting on the same thing happening--people going to HP, but not at the expense of their Disneyland trip. Even with the more local-based market, it's not like AP-holders will just stop having APs because of Potter--Disney will still make money off of passholders who are already reeled in.

So considering that DL probably doesn't see USH as a threat and wouldn't be able to come up with an effective counter anyway, I don't think there's a need for them to do anything but sit back and let USH do their thing.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It could be a lot, it could be a little. It could be the greatest attraction ever, or they could have nothing. We just donít know.
    Let's be real though--when's the last time Disney has had a major project open within a year? Sure, you could say that they've been developing it for a long time already, but again, how often does Disney do that? You usually get an announcement the second it's popped into someone's head, and then it's a long drawn out process before construction even begins.

Nothing major is coming by 2015. If it has, come show me this post and I'll buy this whole board ice cream.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    There's no point in countering Potter and Disney knows that. Harry Potter is unparalleled in its popularity and nothing Disney can do will be able to take that away. Monster's Inc...seriously? No way the majority of SoCal tourists decide Monstropolis is more worth seeing than Harry Potter.

Even more importantly, however, is that Disney probably doesn't have to counter it. WDW is doing just fine. I'm sure DL is counting on the same thing happening--people going to HP, but not at the expense of their Disneyland trip. Even with the more local-based market, it's not like AP-holders will just stop having APs because of Potter--Disney will still make money off of passholders who are already reeled in.

So considering that DL probably doesn't see USH as a threat and wouldn't be able to come up with an effective counter anyway, I don't think there's a need for them to do anything but sit back and let USH do their thing.
    Disney's hubris will be their gradual downfall.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast