• Minion

A Christmas Fantasy Parade history

Hey everyone, so I was watching a video from last year's parade and noticed some significant differences from what I saw in person 9 years ago For instance, I didn't see Aladdin and Jasmine anywhere in the video, and they used to have a sleigh with the Genie driving them. Also in the Toy factory section Ariel used to be on a stack of blocks but now Woody is on 1 and Buzz on the other while Ariel is now a human at the ball.

so I'm wondering if anyone can help me compile pictures of the Christmas Fantasy parade changes since it first rolled down the parade route, as well as where all the floats came from originally I know many were re-purposed from previous parades. For instance the ice rink has been running since at least '93 (I have the "Magic of Christmas at Disneyland" vhs which shows this float. Also the snowmen and snowflakes are carry-over, and I'm pretty sure that the Mail room float was re-purposed from the old Snow White float. Also if anyone knows of what became of particular floats that would be great (like I think a handful have been sent to WDW since they got upgraded at DL).

Thanks in advance, Christmas Fantasy Parade is by far my favorite daytime parade
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Re: A Christmas Fantasy Parade history

Are you aware of the previous Christmas parade, Fantasy on Parade? Here's a link to the 1986 version, you might find some floats and costumes which carried over.

Fantasy on Parade had units for many of Disney's best feature films followed by several Christmas floats. It was maybe 45 minutes long and had hundreds of performers and live musicians.

Fantasy on Parade (part 1 of 3) - YouTube

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

The last MAJOR change in the Christmas Parade was between Christmas 1994 and Christmas 1995. The music for the parade changed, several scenes were cut, and no more kids were in the parade (i.e. the Darling kids and lost boys were no longer in the parade.

Since that time they have changed out minor features in the parade, and also, occasionally changed outfits for various character groups. The Snowpeople group changed for Snowpeople with various hats, Reindeer with tongues hanging out changed out for more cutesy looking deer, Snowflake rollerskaters changed from glitter flat snowflakes to holographic silvery snowflakes, also some larger units where changed out or refurbished: pinnocchio float much larger now, Santa's float changed out. But, In general, the Christmas Parade has remained substantially the same since Christmas 1995.

In the first two years of the Christmas Fantasy Parade (1995 and 1996) actual children were Santa's workshop elves. Since then they use shorter cast members and save on the expense of using minors.

In earlier years of A Christmas Fantasy there was also a section towards the end that included the "Dickens float". For a couple of years or so it carried Scrooge McDuck and maybe Donald and Daisy. Mickey and Minnie would ride in a gorgeous Victorian horse drawn carriage. And, for a couple of years it was accompanied by live carolers. (I think Eden Espinosa was one of the carolers one year, if I remember from an interview she once did.) I think that float also carried Mickey's Christmas Carol characters at one point. (Not to be confused with the Mickey's Christmas Carol float from way, way back.) They haven't used the "Dickens" section for several years except for the dancers.

If I went back and reviewed my video recordings from over the years, I could probably find other changes besides the ones already listed. There will be some minor changes this year, but I promised not to reveal them. They may become evident this weekend if those units are used in the Disney Parks Parade taping if it takes place.