Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Would you want more than one Indy style ride in the same park?

How closely do you think that the ride mechanism and/or vehicle are connected to the ride itself? When Indy opened in '95, it was a completely unique and new kind of ride vehicle (as numerous signs in the queue point out). Now, there are four other rides in the US that use the same concept (Transformers (X 2), Spiderman, and Dinosaur). When I go on any of the other rides I'm always reminded of Indy a little bit. So you think that another completely different ride with the same kind of ride vehicle could exist at Disneyland? One the one hand, plenty of rides use the same kind of vehicles. All of the roller coasters are essentially the same but made to look different (alpine bobsled, space rocket, train). The dark rides use the same kind of track (even Peter Pan, it's just overhead instead of under you). For a time, there was Mansion and Inner Space which are both omnimovers. So it's not unusual to use the same ride mechanism over and over. But other then the omnimover, none of those were unique to Disney. They may have perfected some things, but guests have seen them before at other parks. Disney's unique ride mechanisms are: Omnimover (one in Disneyland, one in DCA), Indy (one in Disneyland, one at Animal Kingdom), and Soarin (one at DCA, one at Epcot). Because these were things invented by Disney and first seen on specific rides, do you think that the ride mechanism itself is too closely tied to the ride to use it in another completely different ride within the same park? For example, the Indy vehicles clearly could be used to create a pretty awesome ride in Tomorrowland. You could theme them to be like a moon rover driving accross the moon, or a vehicle exploring Mars. Even if they made the ride vehicle look totally different so that it didn't remind you of Indy at all, is that mechanism too closely tied with Indy to be used in a different ride?
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Would you want more than one Indy style ride in the same park?

Depends how closely the rides resembled each other. Pirates and iasw both have the same boats and most guests don't notice. At least the ones in New Orleans Square have a fake wood decor, and aren't multi colored any more.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Slap the Keelboats onto the Indy-chassis and have them sail on a Western River Expedition!

Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Jeff, you are a proficient recycler

• Singing Drinker

Depends how closely the rides resembled each other. Pirates and iasw both have the same boats and most guests don't notice. At least the ones in New Orleans Square have a fake wood decor, and aren't multi colored any more.
    This. There are multiple flume rides of varying description, several track based dark rides, several steel coasters - it's all about the experience being delivered in new ways.

I'm kind of hoping any eventual roster of Marvel attractions features a big Transformers-style e-ticket.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• formerly very helpful

It really depends on the scenery and story for me. As others have said, we've seen the same ride mechanisms used before for different experiences. That said, I'd like to see something that isn't quite so "thrilly" but has a really unique story/scenery to look at.

I don't care about the ride vehicles at all, only about the experience and story of the ride itself. The fact that FL has 3-4 tracked vehicle rides doesn't diminish or affect my enjoyment of them at all.

• Done with MC.

If it was a different experience with different vehicle programming then I would go for it.

there are 2 omnimovers in DL (Haunted Mansion and Astroblasters) and 1 in CA (Little Mermaid)

Back on topic, I wouldnt mind another Indy style ride... as long as it told a good story!

• DCP DLR Alumnus!

Quote Originally Posted by superlarz View Post
    there are 2 omnimovers in DL (Haunted Mansion and Astroblasters) and 1 in CA (Little Mermaid)

Back on topic, I wouldnt mind another Indy style ride... as long as it told a good story!
    Exactly! Over at Universal Orlando, not only do they have 2 attractions with the same ride system and vehicle type, but the track layouts of both are also almost identical, and yet both are unique from each other and are popular in their own right. I'm referring to Spider-Man in Islands of Adventure and Transformers: The Ride 3D in Universal Studios Florida in case you didn't know!

If Universal can create 2 unique experiences with what is more or less the exact same ride, there's no reason why Disney can't! And as your post points out, Disney has already done this with the Omnimover attractions!

So to answer the original question, I definitely wouldn't mind another attraction at DLR using Indy's vehicle/system. Just make it a fun and immersive attraction with a great storyline, and I'll bet a lot of guests won't even realize that it's the same as Indy!
    Please check out my E-Ticket attraction, The Time of My Life!
    http://tcox91.tumblr.com

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The difference is that in the flume attractions, omnimovers and Fantasyland Darkrides, the vehicle fades to the background and out of the picture. In Indy, the jeep gives you more feedback and is therefore a significant part of the show itself.

That said, if you take off the jeep shell and put something else there as well as a different setting and a different reason for the jerky-ness (or arrange the motion base to provide another type of movement) then you could definitely reuse it.

• Former Churro Jockey

Buzz Lightyear is an omnimover? I didn't know that! So I guess Toy Story is too then? I think Trevor hit the nail on the head that with Indy the ride vehicle is more integrated into the story then any other ride, so it's harder to have two of them in the same park. I think they would have to theme it to something dramatically different, something that wasn't a car, in order pull it off. Something I don't think Universal does. It's very obvious that Spiderman and Transformers use the same vehicle. It doesn't ruin it for me, but it is something I notice.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Buzz Lightyear is an omnimover? I didn't know that! So I guess Toy Story is too then?
    No, just Buzz. Mania's vehicles get dispatched separately like a normal dark ride.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Exactly right CMinParadise. The big tell for an omnimover is a conveyer belt at loading. The vehicles don't stop so the riders need to be brought up to speed.

• formerly very helpful

I've ridden both Indy here and Dinosaur in DAK. While it's easy to see that it's a similar vehicle, I had no idea that it was almost an identical track until I read it here. To me, they were two entirely different experiences. So I'd have no problem with another ride using the same system in the same park. Just make the experience different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast