Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

• Seeker of Fun

Re: Billy Hill and the Hillbillies to RETIRE. Final performance on Jan 6th 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    You have to remember one thing about DL, kids who have grown up with an AP won't value DL like people who could only visit once or twice a year. And soon those kids will grow to be adults and that's when DL will be just another park.

That's when a park like Knotts, will be a viable competitor.
    Great point here. And I saw Kirk perform last week on our annual trip. I'm truly saddened that Disney is making this decision. It's not just nostalgia, but excellent, quality entertainment that anyone can relate to and have fun with. Boo Disney!!
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    I find it kind of fascinating how this discussion has morphed from a sad farewell to a pretty good show, to the sudden rise and fall of two theme parks. Billy Hill has *little* to do with the success or failure of either park. Nor is it some kind of indication of the direction of either park. Disney was done with the show. It happens. They'll replace it with another show and in 20 years we'll all be sad when they're gone.

Think of it this way...is anyone here still lamenting the loss of the Wally Boag show? A show that set world records for performances? An immensely popular and legendary show. It ended too. Then Billy Hill came along, it was the new show and ran for twenty years.

It's not like there are no more good shows to be had.

Well said. I agree 100%.

As far as the APs becoming bored with Disneyland. That's why we need a 3rd gate and more resort rooms so DLR becomes more of a week-long vacation destination.

Billy Hill has *little* to do with the success or failure of either park. Nor is it some kind of indication of the direction of either park. Disney was done with the show. It happens. They'll replace it with another show and in 20 years we'll all be sad when they're gone.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. However, my dissatisfaction with the cancellation of the show is currently out of concern for what they'll replace it with. Given the atrocity that is Laughing Stock, and how that's somehow still in the GH, I don't have a ton of faith that the next show will be very good. I love Frontierland and would love to see a new on-theme show. Personally, I'd take either good music or funny, I don't even need the show to be both (although both is a plus). I'd also be cool with something that's just world-building and not necessarily comedy or music. I'm trying to reserve judgement until I actually see what they replace the Hillbillies with. The anticipation's killing me though. If the Hillbillies' cancellation means LS is "it"...whooboy is that an epic disappointment.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    I find it kind of fascinating how this discussion has morphed from a sad farewell to a pretty good show, to the sudden rise and fall of two theme parks. Billy Hill has *little* to do with the success or failure of either park. Nor is it some kind of indication of the direction of either park.
    You are absolutely right except for that last sentence. Billy Hill in and of itself has little to do with the success or failure of the park, but add to that all the other little things that by themselves have little to do with the park's success or failure and it adds up to a lot. As for the last sentence it definitely is a move to lesser quality if by only a little, but once again it is a move in the wrong direction.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Disneyland's biggest competition if home entertainment and smart phones. Not Knott's Berry Farm. Knott's has their own slew of problems. They will never be competition to Disneyland.

All that out of the way, I am happy the Billy's are keeping the act together for the time being. I may head over to Knott's to see them. Kinda curious as to where they would be though. I suppose for NYE it would make sense to have them on the Calico Square Stage, but I can't imagine them playing that venue regularly. That stage is even worse than the festival arena. Maybe the Birdcage? Or has that thing collapsed already?

I would love it if they went back to just being street entertainers and perhaps just played in Ghost town.
    Case in point to at least one person who could be giving their almighty entertainment dollar to Knotts instead of Disney at least partly because of the Billys.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Case in point to at least one person who could be giving their almighty entertainment dollar to Knotts instead of Disney at least partly because of the Billys.
    I will still go to Disneyland. It's not an either or proposition.

• Resident Ghost

Speaking as a non-local, this news doesn't upset me at all. While the live entertainment can be quite nice, I go to the parks so infrequently that I want to explore and ride rides instead of listening to the live acts. It feels like this change is upsetting more to people with APs. But I don't, and I never have, believed that Disney should try and cater to locals.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you implying only or mostly locals bother with the live shows over rides? I'd disagree with that. Sure locals are more likely to have seen any given show more times than folks who go only once a year or every few years, but I don't really see this as much different from cancelling any attraction. People who liked it will be bummed it's going. People who didn't won't. I don't see the park eliminating live performances across the board any time soon. Cancelling the show or not cancelling the show wouldn't be "catering to locals". It's a programming change, which they probably think will result in something either better or more profitable. If they got 100,000 emails complaining, they might reconsider, because that'd be a large customer response. But other than large customer response (regardless of the zip code of said customers), they're unlikely to change their minds.

•   

Here's a link to a video I shot on New Years Eve at Knotts Berry Farm of Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies in HD:

Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies - New Year's Eve 2013.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I'm so bummed I didn't get a chance to see them a week ago! I realized the park maps no longer have showtimes in there, you have to pick up a separate show times handout and I was just running all over the place since it was so crowded. So much to do in just one day!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Long time reader, brand new member, and brand new poster! I actually joined specifically to learn more about the sad loss of the Billy Hill and the Hillbillies show and see if anybody will be able to go to the last one, record it, and put it on youtube. I was there on 12/30 and saw them as I have pretty much every time I've been to Disneyland since the late 90s (maybe 20 or so times total)

• Minion

I'm not holding my breath for any replacement unfortunately. I mean Disney put so much time, effort and money into the Minnie's Fly Girls replacement you really can't expect them to do anything to replace the Hillbillies.

• Hooterville, USA

Disneyland just lost some more charm.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Glad that we were able to see them when we were there before Christmas...... yet another entry for the "yesterland" thread.

*sigh*

• Singing Drinker

For what it's worth, the band's renamed itself officially to "Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies" and is apparently continuing onward (from recent announcements on the band's homepage).

It sounds like they're not letting Disney's decision affect the band playing together. Hopefully they'll get some traction and pick up another gig soon.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    For what it's worth, the band's renamed itself officially to "Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies" and is apparently continuing onward (from recent announcements on the band's homepage).

It sounds like they're not letting Disney's decision affect the band playing together. Hopefully they'll get some traction and pick up another gig soon.
    They should move to Knotts.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast