Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Billy Hill and the Hillbillies to RETIRE. Final performance on Jan 6th 2014

What a bunch of baloney! If it was The Billies' decision, it probably came from being treated like crap...forced to cut back performances and shoved way back into "No Man's Land", otherwise known as the Festival Arena.

So I suppose we can expect some character related entertainment to take their place, since it seems that's all Disney's capable of these days. Probably another incarnation of some Woody's Roundup thing.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Oh no! This is terrible! Why would they get rid of Billy Hill and the Hillbillies?? It's one of the most entertaining shows at Disneyland! I'm going to be so sad when the show retires

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    This statement is too generic to be reassuring. It tells me they've got nothing up their sleeves.
    Or what they do have up their sleeves is weak, generic and unimaginative.... I will miss the Billies, they always did a fun show and it was one you could watch more than once and still be entertained. Maybe the replacement will be ok but will have to wait and see.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The comments on the Disney Parks Blog page are pretty harsh/upset, which isn't the norm - likely get no reaction officially but in general most comments (even about Avatarland!) there I've seen are upbeat and filtered to be so, probably - but there's not much spinning this one at people being disappointed or even upset at Disneyland management for that loss.

• "I don't like the color"

Get used to the Michael Colglazier era. He did nothing at Animal Kingdom and it appears that he has been
    possessed by the ghost of Paul Pressler. Anybody else notice the decline at Disneyland since he's been there?
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    The comments on the Disney Parks Blog page are pretty harsh/upset, which isn't the norm - likely get no reaction officially but in general most comments (even about Avatarland!) there I've seen are upbeat and filtered to be so, probably - but there's not much spinning this one at people being disappointed or even upset at Disneyland management for that loss.
    Yeah, I was surprised, too, that they didn't filter the negative responses.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Get used to the Michael Colglazier era. He did nothing at Animal Kingdom and it appears that he has been
    possessed by the ghost of Paul Pressler. Anybody else notice the decline at Disneyland since he's been there?
    *raises hand*

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    Yeah, I was surprised, too, that they didn't filter the negative responses.

You are giving Disney's Marketing machine WAY too much credit.

You can bet that Disney DID filter several of the responses. They are only letting the most mild ones through

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Yep.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Greetings, Program!

I'm kind of not surprised by this move. The last few Billies shows have been noticeably absent of the kind of wit and musically superior entertainment one is used to over the past 6 months or so. Invasions by characters and other "guests" have cut into the time they used to spend either performing great music or making us laugh to tears.

As for Team Disney, I can only paraphrase my late grandfather.....

If they grew another foot, they'd only find a way to shoot themselves there.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

• See Ya Real Soon!

So does anyone know (for sure) if this was a Billy decision or a Disney decision?

What have I noticed about the Michael Colglazier era? Mostly broken Splash Mountain. Space Mountain with most of its blue light tunnel burned out. A broken Fantasmic! crocodile. The "How many ride breakdowns can we achieve in one week" competition between California Screamin' and Grizzly River Run at DCA. The parks are not getting maintenance attention the way they used to. Soon it will feel like Magic Kingdom, with ripped ride seats and orange cones.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

There is no indication, they're being vague - 20 plus years is a long time to perform certainly and other issues could make the band decide to end the run, but the headline seems to state Disney is retiring the group which hints at management being responsible. Issue is too muddy to claim either way.

If the Miner 49ers from DCA are any indication and this is done on Disney's part to cut ties with them, we might see some former Billys migrate to Knott's.....stranger things have happened.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    There is no indication, they're being vague - 20 plus years is a long time to perform certainly and other issues could make the band decide to end the run, but the headline seems to state Disney is retiring the group which hints at management being responsible. Issue is too muddy to claim either way.
    Exactly. The S.O.P. for Disney (as with most other companies in media, films and entertainment) is to announce the people getting the boot are "moving on to other things," "leaving to investigate new opportunities," "retiring to spend more time with their families," and other similar bs. By mutual agreement, the fired folks support the story publicly. But get 'em talking in private and they'll tell you stories that'll make your hair want to seek shelter in a salt mine.

To me, this reeks of Crofton Crew. Not just to save money on the Billies, but to replace them with an IP "entertainment product" aimed at the kiddies and teens, Disney's #1 desirable demographics.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

And, as others have said, it seems like Disney has treated them poorly this past year. If it was their choice, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a forced choice. Kind of like when an employer wants to fire an employee but doesn't want to pay unemployment, so they move that person's desk to the basement or give them really weird hours in the hopes that they'll quit.

Heck, they might've even taken a pay cut when they were moved to the "less-prestigious" Festival Arena.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast