Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Merry 2014!

Re: Billy Hill and the Hillbillies to RETIRE. Final performance on Jan 6th 2014

Never got to see them in person. So disappointed. The Disney Decline begins anew.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

Long time lurker here on MiceChat just wanting to say I'm so upset right now that I actually would want to see the current Disney suits ousted in a hostile takeover. In fact with the closing of the COA I have often been wishing Saul Steinberg's 1984 takeover attempt was successful. I'd almost rather have seen Disney be broken up than have the current Disney management.

• Special Agent

Can't say I'm really surprised they're leaving. That show has been around a LONG time. I actually perferred them when they were atmosphere entertainers so long ago. Their horseshoe show got stale pretty fast.

I can't help but wonder if this isn't motivated by the desire to keep the show so much as not having a venue for them. I can't imagine there's a lot of traffic to justify keeping the Festival Arena open in the off season, and for a number of reasons that were all discussed when they moved, keeping them at the Golden Horseshoe is a terrible idea.

Since it says they are retiring the Hillbillies - that could just mean that they will keep the muscians and deploy them in smaller groups as street entertainment. I'd actually prefer that to the silly hill billy show.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

In the meantime here's what's going on at Knotts:

Calico Saloon Can-Can Show-Knott's Berry Farm - YouTube

Enjoy those Disney ticketing prices y'all!

• Disney Mom

Now I am sad! I am going to be at DL on January 16th-19th. I always look forward to seeing them, but it hasn't been the same since the moved out of Golden Horseshoe. Hopefully something entertaining will replace them. Something that my boys will like, no more princesses please!!!
    Last edited by jeannie527; 11-06-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    Disneyland: '76, '77, Jun '84, Dec '87, Dec '88, Apr '97, Nov' 00, Dec '06, Dec '07, Apr '09 and Dec '09, Oct '10, Dec '11, Oct '12, Jan '14
    Disney World: Mar '04 and May '13

• Closed Account

To me, this reeks of Crofton Crew. Not just to save money on the Billies, but to replace them with an IP "entertainment product" aimed at the kiddies and teens, Disney's #1 desirable demographics.

Exactly. All of this started when Meg and Mike got there. TWO WDW ppl running DL. I mean what more did you expect. Queen Meg's reign of terror continues.....

• Closed Account

I'd almost rather have seen Disney be broken up than have the current Disney management.

Maybe not then, but DEFINATLY now. There is no hope under current management for either coast now. I was actually hoping Iger was gonna sell the parks a couple a years ago to the Chinese.

I am so sad!! I knew this day would come sometime...I wonder too, who's idea this was DL or Billie's? I have soooo many wonderful memories of their show, from the first time I took my kids at 3m and 21m where I have a picture of the billies holding one of them with our family and then again about 2 years ago I got their picture taken again when the boys are teens. There is something special about a show that makes the littlest one up to granparents laugh so hard. Our family will miss the Hill Billies!! Wish we could make it there one last time before they leave...
    Tink happy thoughts!

• Hooterville, USA

Another popular attraction that gets cut with the hope that maybe some day, they'll make something better.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Singing Drinker

The Billy's homepage explicitly states that Disney is retiring them, not them retiring from Disney.

*sigh*
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Cowboy Jack

This is a real bummer! They were a must see on ever visit to the park!!!

• Just this guy......

I will miss them. They were a great show and I always made sure to see them.

As much I will miss them I can hardly think of a 20 year run as a short career. Most performers would be happy with something half that length. With their talent I am sure that they will find more jobs.

• Disneyland Nut

I am so beyond bummed about this. I mean, if the guys are ready to retire or what have you, fine.

But they can't just pass the torch on to a new generation? The Billys were always a staple in our visit and even as AP holders, we would go every time we came to the park. When they moved them out of the GH, we knew something was up. However, we thought it was just something different they were trying for the summer and then they'd bring them back in for the colder months.

Obviously it was just a way to drop the ball on them. How disappointing.

Add this to my list of major bummers this year:

1) Court of Angels closes to the public
    2) Billys are put out to pasture

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

It's painfully clear now that Meg and Mike are actually Paul & Cynthia in disguise -- returned to exact their revenge.

• Foolish Mortal

Very sad to hear of this. Used to watch them back in the day with my family and grandparents at the Golden Horseshoe.

I'm not sure how up to date this fan page is, but it seems like you can see these guys perform on there own at different venues around the area. Da Billy Club, Billy and the Hillbillies' Unofficial Fan Club

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast