Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Re: Billy Hill and the Hillbillies to RETIRE. Final performance on Jan 6th 2014

I commented on the blog, too. Have to see if it got filtered.

Will miss the Billies terribly. They were always fun. Sucked that they got exiled to the arena at the back end of nowhere, and this sucks worse.

I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Master Gracey's Music Man

Druggas, thank you! Signed and shared!
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    If anyone's interested, here's a petition for the Billie's.

https://www.change.org/petitions/dis...ly-shows#share

Signed.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Monorail Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Thank you for the insightful and accurate perspective on this change, Mr. Liver. So many here forget the park existed prior to 1999 (or were still in grade school in 1999) and that stuff like the Hillbillies were dramatically downsized 1990's cheap-outs to what existed there previously.

My blunt and honest take? This Hillbilly retirement is about 10 years overdue. The act was at its peak in 2001, and since it was the depths of the Pressler era then a cheap quartet of guys in overalls were all that we could expect in Frontierland. The Hillbillies are not young men, their temporary filler act is played out, and it's time for the park to move on.

As for this being a budget cut, it's amazing what is coming to the parks this holiday season. I know a girl working on the big new Viva Navidad show in Paradise Pier; did you know that new show features over three dozen performers, with a dozen live musicians, custom floats, etc.? And Navidad will perform more times per day than the Hillbillies did. Cheap? No, Navidad is costing TDA a small fortune. Meg Crofton actually has very deep pockets, and she is letting Colglazier spend big for his first Christmas in Anaheim.

It was simply time for the Hillbillies to move on to Yesterland. I wish them well.
    I am a fan of the Billies, but you are absolutely correct. Thank you for your to the point post.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist."
    The Paul Pressler Era at Walt Disney Parks & Resorts never ended.
    Unfortunately, that comment is correct.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Monorail Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Great shows deserve to stay until the public tires of them and this isn't the case. Weasels running the company are taking it down and some day Knott's will be on top and Disney won't know why.
    Deserve to stay? I beg to differ. While the Billy's are entertaining have you noticed the draw? it is poor. Even before they moved from the GH the draw was poor. I hear people complain that the park has become stagnant, that management has done nothing to improve the parks. What I see is just the opposite, they have done a lot to improve both parks. I am just not talking about rides, but everything from rides, to shows, and to food offerings. So were the Billy's fun? yes. Can you still enjoy their music? yes they have two CD's out, will you be able to hear them play in in the resort once they are gone? yes, just head over to Maters Junkyard Jamboree and listen to the music. The Billy's were the background musicians on the ride soundtrack.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jchamb268 View Post
    Deserve to stay? I beg to differ. While the Billy's are entertaining have you noticed the draw? it is poor. Even before they moved from the GH the draw was poor. I hear people complain that the park has become stagnant, that management has done nothing to improve the parks. What I see is just the opposite, they have done a lot to improve both parks. I am just not talking about rides, but everything from rides, to shows, and to food offerings. So were the Billy's fun? yes. Can you still enjoy their music? yes they have two CD's out, will you be able to hear them play in in the resort once they are gone? yes, just head over to Maters Junkyard Jamboree and listen to the music. The Billy's were the background musicians on the ride soundtrack.
    Really!? Poor attendance? That's interesting because when I went in February of 2012 during a slow off season day, the Golden Horseshoe was still filled with people who wanted to see the show. The draw is not poor. And enjoying their music on CD is not the same as enjoying them live.

• Done with MC.

We only go to the park in the off season and the Billies pack the house for every show.
    Then there's the show they did for the all night party. The audience was full of people who had seen them many times but they still filled the GH and obviously had a great time.
    They are clearly very popular.
    Now the "B" crew? Meh, not so much.

• Monorail Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Really!? Poor attendance? That's interesting because when I went in February of 2012 during a slow off season day, the Golden Horseshoe was still filled with people who wanted to see the show. The draw is not poor. And enjoying their music on CD is not the same as enjoying them live.
    In 2012 I was down for 5 trips of 3 days each and went to see them each time and most of the people there were more interested in the ice cream than the show or to get out of the rain. In 2013 I was down for 6 trips for 3 days each and it was the same out at the BTR. Now I was down on week days and weekends during both high and low times. Maybe you got lucky, but what I saw each time the attendance was poor.

•   
    • Minion

At the BTR, they seem to always have a draw - or at least that has been the case every time I've been there when they're performing. I've been there when every bale of hay/bench/seat is full. The fact that people would track them down in the hinterlands of BTR and sit to watch them really speaks to their popularity, I think.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

In 2012 I was down for 5 trips of 3 days each and went to see them each time and most of the people there were more interested in the ice cream than the show or to get out of the rain. In 2013 I was down for 6 trips for 3 days each and it was the same out at the BTR. Now I was down on week days and weekends during both high and low times. Maybe you got lucky, but what I saw each time the attendance was poor.
    On my trips last year the shows were always crowded.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Evil is Sexy

We were there just two weeks ago on a Tuesday and they had quite a crowd as they performed at BTR. We were waiting in line for Conjure a Villian and even our fellow line-waiters were clapping and singing along.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

I've only seen the Billy's on Saturdays, so I'm not sure about the other teams the rest of the week, but I've never seen a Billy show less than full on a Saturday, and we generally go on an AP blocked out day.

• Master Gracey's Music Man

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post

Agreed!
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

I was there yesterday. The place was packed. Name:  highres_305736392.jpeg
Views: 263
Size:  240.6 KB

I took that shot yesterday. I am in the park 3-4 times a month, and we often go to see the Hillbillies show. It is always packed, and the crowds are consistently pleased by the act. Negative speculation to the contrary is inaccurate.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast