Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Bob Iger confirms more Star Wars for Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    ...drop 7-10 grand for my family...
    You spend that much money on a Disney trip?!?!

• secure all cargo

I dunno, I understand everyone's fear of Tomorrowland becoming Star Wars Land, the thought even crossed my own mind at one point. But I can't imagine them getting rid of the the Buzz and Nemo themes. They all know that would majorly disappoint Lasseter, and even with Cars 2 I still imagine his stock is still pretty high in the company and no one wants to get on his bad side. For that reason, they'd especially be careful about touching Buzz.

Actually, on second thought I might prefer a Gungan theme for the subs. Wouldn't be any more out of place in Tomorrowland than the Nemo theme. For all the vitriol against Jar Jar, those minor scenes in the subs with the gigantic killer fish were some of my favorite in that film.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

the sooner the better!

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    People don't care whether Tomorrowland sticks to Walt's vision. They care about being entertained.
    This is sadly true

• The Great Tiki

Blog Entries

The more Star Wars the better. There are going to be 5 new films and a new TV Show. i think that is reason enough for a whole Star Wars themepark...

A love of Disney that sometimes borders on the edge of crazy ---but I'm okay with that

http://braddisneylandblog.blogspot.com/

• Not Here / Not Now

Re: the consensus that it's "unfortunate" that times have changed and Walt's vision (generally speaking) is irrelevant - I wouldn't necessarily say that his vision is irrelevant, but with a growing business, it definitely had changed. Disney parks are driven on storytelling, and the goal is to engage the general public with interactive storytelling. The plaque that reads beneath the railroad, "Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy" pays homage to the vision that Disney had, and the parks definitely embody this; just not in a literal sense now. Personally, I have a huge infatuation with Tomorrowland (Retro-futurism and Googie Architecture is one of my favorite aesthetics, and Rocket Rods was my favorite attraction as a kid) and while I can empathize with idea that it would be a bummer for it to get "replaced," I'd still be happy if the replacement is pretty good, be it that this replacement would be a Star Wars land. When confronting the business of the amusement industry, I think the main driving factor for decision-making is the evolution of the demands and interest of the general public. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter proved to be a huge hit (and it took them long enough to bring it to the Hollywood counterpart), so there needs to be a response to that in the Disney Parks. I also happen to be a Star Wars fan, and I would be lying if I wasn't genuinely excited with the idea that Tomorrowland would become Star Wars.

I read a post the other day that contested with Tomorrowland's ideal, refuting the potential placement of a Star Wars land not working because it takes place in a galaxy far, far, away. Sure, that's valid, but it takes place in another galaxy, so the technology that exists in the saga doesn't exist in modern science. Drawing from this idea, I already think it would be cool if one of the attractions is a reiteration of Innoventions, but shows some sort of general weapons, aircraft, or podracing fabrication facility (or even a droid factory, that would be pretty sweet). Bias aside, I'm starting to get flashbacks from the protest of the removal of the waterfall from the Disneyland Hotel.

In short, I think there needs to be a little more trust in what Imagineering is doing, and a little more progressiveness with the idea of change.
    California Screamin' Ride Count: 111

Quote Originally Posted by brad chowen View Post
    There are going to be 5 new films and a new TV Show.
    Huh?

FIVE new films? You mean three, right?
    And what new show?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

More than five.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Huh?

FIVE new films? You mean three, right?
    And what new show?
    Disney confirmed three new Star Wars movies, plus a Han Solo movie, plus a Yoda movie. Hadn't heard about a new TV show but I guess that was sort of a given. It's Disney after all. They're going to get their money's worth out of this.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Banned User

I think that the most likely place for a Star Wars land in Anaheim would be in the Simba parking lot next to the Disneyland Hotel. There are simply some very non-starwars-like attractions in Tomorrowland such as Buzz Light Years Astro blasters, Nemo subs, Space Mountain even, which can't be easily folded into the Star Wars theme.

If they tear down the paradise pier hotel, there is a vast amount of space available to make Disney California adventure a full-day park. In terms of what WDI is working on, they'd probably prefer a large space that could be themed to a Star Wars locale such as Tatooine or Coruscant.

They might well "move" Star Tours to the simba parking lot, but incorporate new technology that will be used in avatar land, and use Star Tours old space for a new attraction, possibly one based on the new Pixar film Inside Out. Obviously, Tomorrowland still has some very popular attractions such as the Nemo subs, Space Mountain, and even Buzz light year. If they add a new $100 million-$200 million E ticket attraction into Innoventions, along with some mild cosmetic refurbishments, there's your tomorrowland fix.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I think that the most likely place for a Star Wars land in Anaheim would be in the Simba parking lot next to the Disneyland Hotel. There are simply some very non-starwars-like attractions in Tomorrowland such as Buzz Light Years Astro blasters, Nemo subs, Space Mountain even, which can't be easily folded into the Star Wars theme.

If they tear down the paradise pier hotel, there is a vast amount of space available to make Disney California adventure a full-day park. In terms of what WDI is working on, they'd probably prefer a large space that could be themed to a Star Wars locale such as Tatooine or Coruscant.

They might well "move" Star Tours to the simba parking lot, but incorporate new technology that will be used in avatar land, and use Star Tours old space for a new attraction, possibly one based on the new Pixar film Inside Out. Obviously, Tomorrowland still has some very popular attractions such as the Nemo subs, Space Mountain, and even Buzz light year. If they add a new $100 million-$200 million E ticket attraction into Innoventions, along with some mild cosmetic refurbishments, there's your tomorrowland fix.
    There is no way they are going to build any big expansion to DCA in the Simba parking lot. It makes no financial sense, they don't need that much space to make DCA a full day park. DCA has expansion spaces available without having to cross the street. If they ever did expand in Simba it will be another hotel and an extension of DTD and possibly a most likely mostly indoor waterpark. The might consider a bridge over the road again eventually, but it would probably be a small one outside a new back entrance.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    There is no way they are going to build any big expansion to DCA in the Simba parking lot. It makes no financial sense, they don't need that much space to make DCA a full day park.
    Well, the thing that attracts guests to the park are new attractions, and new lands. Outside of removing the grand Californian Hotel, this is probably the only piece of land where a Star Wars land could be built at the Disneyland resort outside of the third gate.

The might consider a bridge over the road again eventually, but it would probably be a small one outside a new back entrance.
    Getting guests over to a Star Wars land built in the Simba parking lot wouldn't be that hard (goodbye goofy's flight school, hello underground passageway themed to something Star Wars), and using the Simba parking lot would allow for the construction of a visual berm, at least more than what DCA has.

DCA has expansion spaces available without having to cross the street.
    Carsland has a small expansion pad.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-09-2013 at 01:37 PM.

• Senior Minion

Well, the thing that attracts guests to the park are new attractions, and new lands. Outside of removing the grand Californian Hotel, this is probably the only piece of land where a Star Wars land could be built at the Disneyland resort outside of the third gate.

Getting guests over to a Star Wars land built in the Simba parking lot wouldn't be that hard (goodbye goofy's flight school, hello underground passageway themed to something Star Wars), and using the Simba parking lot would allow for the construction of a visual berm, at least more than what DCA has.

Carsland has a small expansion pad.

Getting guests to visit is great, but more hotel rooms would make them more money. Getting guests to stay in DCA a little longer only wouldn't make them that much more money. There's no way they would remove a hotel to make room for more theme park space. They will probably use TL, and a smaller chance, the third gate, to expand Star Wars presence. Just because you don't want that to happen doesn't mean it won't.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

There are simply some very non-starwars-like attractions in Tomorrowland such as Buzz Light Years Astro blasters, Nemo subs, Space Mountain even, which can't be easily folded into the Star Wars theme.
    Never underestimate the power of greed.......I am sure they could convert these attractions over to SW with a lot less money than it would cost to build another park (although, I personally prefer your idea)

Buzz Lightyear......Death Star Escape.....shoot your way out of the Death Star and hope that "the old man got that tractor beam out of commission, or this is gonna be a real short trip".

Nemo.........Gungan bongo's ....Make your way from the Gungan city thru treacherous undersea caverns in time to warn the queen of the attack on her planet.

Space Mountain......Ghost Galaxy....Disney could base one of the movies on Space Mt/Ghost Galaxy (ala Pirates of the Caribbean) and voila, Space doesn't have to do anything to convert except stay in Halloween mode full time
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

Getting guests to visit is great, but more hotel rooms would make them more money.
    They could always buy the Gardenwalk and put in some hotels back there as was planned.

Getting guests to stay in DCA a little longer only wouldn't make them that much more money.
    A Star Wars land that is even larger than Carsland would bring in a lot of guests, not just get guests to "stay in DCA little longer". To say nothing of the merchandise and synergy with the franchise.

They will probably use TL, and a smaller chance, the third gate, to expand Star Wars presence.
    As per Bob Iger, WDI is in a "fair amount of development" for Star Wars land, it seems like a lot more than just a facade for Tomorrowland, and whatever they could fit into Innoventions footprint.

They will probably use TL, and a smaller chance, the third gate, to expand Star Wars presence. Just because you don't want that to happen doesn't mean it won't.
    I'd be fine with an expanded Star Wars presence in Tomorrowland, But, it seems the WDI is developing a highly immersive land based upon the Star Wars franchise, which just wouldn't fit, space wise, in tomorrowland.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast