Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Bob Iger confirms more Star Wars for Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    If Disney puts Star Wars in Tomorrowland, it will be the busiest land in the park. People don't care whether Tomorrowland sticks to Walt's vision. They care about being entertained.
    If that's all there is to it people could just stay home and watch TV.

Walt's Tomorrowland did more than just entertain......it inspired.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Never underestimate the power of greed.......I am sure they could convert these attractions over to SW with a lot less money than it would cost to build another park (although, I personally prefer your idea)

Buzz Lightyear......Death Star Escape.....shoot your way out of the Death Star and hope that "the old man got that tractor beam out of commission, or this is gonna be a real short trip".

Nemo.........Gungan bongo's ....Make your way from the Gungan city thru treacherous undersea caverns in time to warn the queen of the attack on her planet.

Space Mountain......Ghost Galaxy....Disney could base one of the movies on Space Mt/Ghost Galaxy (ala Pirates of the Caribbean) and voila, Space doesn't have to do anything to convert except stay in Halloween mode full time
    I'm all for a Star Wars overlay for space Mountain, though I know that others would disagree. I'm not a big fan of Buzz, but it seems that Buzz and Nemo still bring a lot of dollars for the company.

• Banned User

I think that the big selling point for Star Wars land would be that you feel that you actually inside of one of Star Wars locales such as Tatooine or Coruscant, similar to how cars land and Potter land have reeled in guests with place making. Given this, I think that tomorrow land is pretty safe at Disneyland as it provides menu of Sci-Fi-ish rides. I think that a more "inspiring" attraction, in the traditional vein of tomorrow land theme is entirely possible given upcoming Disney projects such as Pixar's Inside Out and the 20,000 leagues under the sea remake.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I think that the big selling point for Star Wars land would be that you feel that you actually inside of one of Star Wars locales such as Tatooine or Coruscant, similar to how cars land and Potter land have reeled in guests with place making. Given this, I think that tomorrow land is pretty safe at Disneyland as it provides menu of Sci-Fi-ish rides. I think that a more "inspiring" attraction, in the traditional vein of tomorrow land theme is entirely possible given upcoming Disney projects such as Pixar's Inside Out and the 20,000 leagues under the sea remake.
    Good points, every one.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

This x10000000000

• Singing Drinker

I got into this on another thread, but I finally pegged my aversion to the "SW Tomorrowland" or any other "IPLand".

Disney can't beat Universal at this game without a radical new revelation in ride technology and effects.

WWOHP is - to a HP fan and confirmed by every Potterite I know who's been there - as near to perfect as it could be. The "fixes" are small nibbles around the edge to keep things plussed up as well as expanding it to other parks (USF and USH).

So where do you go? If you're not a Potterite, you have an awesome, well themed land that doesn't require explicit knowledge of the franchise to at least enjoy and get most of what's going on (from several wives and husbands of the above paragraph etc.).

Disney can't beat that. They're already up against the *best* in the industry - those imagineers that Disney FIRED years ago as their departments were permanently dismantled. All they can hope to do is to equal the WWOHP experience for SW fans. There's already a world, there are already characters, the physics of the world are well defined (midichlorians - or, as I call them "to hell with this crap, I'm going to go watch something intelligent, like SpongeBob" - *shudder*).

So, yet again, Disney gets to fight from an inferior position that is created entirely because of the work of their former imagineers.

The same guys now working over in Uni Creative.

Universal doesn't have a taste for "original". They put a bit into IOA, but for the most part that has all been reduced/removed in favor of IP based expansions. This means that the incredibly talented Disney-trained staff is operating CONSTANTLY within IP based handcuffs. It's not enough to think "Is this going to be an amazing, unique ride experience that fits with the 'land' we put it in" - you have to add the extra layer of vetting and potential refusal that Rowling gives (or presumably Lucas, though I have suspicions he got kicked in the head by a horse in the late '80s and may not be capable of quality control on his franchises).

The only way to beat a perfect, IP based conservative gameplan is to go the other way. They need to go original, they need to go BIG, and they need to make a huge splash when they do.

Of course, this also relies on current management being willing to even think of this sort of thing, which I have suspicions they aren't.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Disney confirmed three new Star Wars movies, plus a Han Solo movie, plus a Yoda movie.
    Holy crap.
    When did they say that? I know when they publicly announced the purcahase of LucasFilms that they said they'd be doing Episodes VII, VII, and IX. Do you have a link to any online articles regarding these other films by any chance? Anything would be appreciated, I'd love to read more about this. Thanks!

• Banned User

Blog Entries

+1

Besides, Disneyland already packs guests in solid.

They'd get more bang for their buck charging a seperate admission to Star Wars land if it were the Fantasyland of the Third Park. And they own Star Wars and the land (Toy Story parking).

So save Tomorrowland and save Star Wars for a clean slate, not sticking the Millenium Falcon in front of Space Mountain.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I think that the most likely place for a Star Wars land in Anaheim would be in the Simba parking lot next to the Disneyland Hotel. There are simply some very non-starwars-like attractions in Tomorrowland such as Buzz Light Years Astro blasters, Nemo subs, Space Mountain even, which can't be easily folded into the Star Wars theme.

If they tear down the paradise pier hotel, there is a vast amount of space available to make Disney California adventure a full-day park.
    Thats never going to happen.

Any new lands will be reuse of Disneyland and DCA's backstage areas plus remodels.
    And over at Strawberry Fields aka the Toy Story lot.

My friend Dylan, who turned 7 last week, wouldn't care if Darth Vader evicted the Mouse. He will grow up with Star Wars as a Disney property and hopefully will still be a sci-fi fan when these adventures get built.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Did I hear a MC reference in that video?
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Good thing WDI doesn't allow 7 year olds to chart the course for a place that was so carefully plotted out and planned so many years ago.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Good thing WDI doesn't allow 7 year olds to chart the course for a place that was so carefully plotted out and planned so many years ago.
    *snort*

C'mon, sing with me now!

How do you do? Fine! A friendly greetin'.
    How do you do? Say it when you're meetin'.
    How do you do? With everyone repeatin':
    Pretty good, sure as you're born.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

No Star Wars expansion will happen until the first new film comes out. Why would you invest so much money in attractions before you have established a fan base for all the new characters. You might create a ride based on One of the new characters and then when the film comes out you find out people hate him (Jar jar anyone?)

No need to rush here for Disney.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    If Disney puts Star Wars in Tomorrowland, it will be the busiest land in the park. People don't care whether Tomorrowland sticks to Walt's vision. They care about being entertained.
    I fear you're right. Unfortunately the powers that be aren't really sure how to entertain in original ways like Walt did.
    It's about basing everything on a movie.
    Walt could entertain but do so without relying on a movie at every turn.
    Things have changed and the paradigm has shifted.
    The easiest route is to rely on an existing cinematic property, be it Disney or not.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast