Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Any merchandise locations that you miss?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

• The unique merchandise and charm of the pre-1985 Tinker Bell Toy Shoppe, Geppetto's Arts & Crafts and Mickey's Christmas Chalet in Fantasyland.

I particularly agree with this one; it was awesome to walk into Gepetto's and see all those cuckoo clocks running along with the store's own animation. I never knew the Christmas Chalet but I assume it's the cave-like store to the right of Peter Pan's Flight; if so, the first incarnation I knew featured lots of high end dolls and Capidomonte porcelain pieces. Loved going in there at that time.

If I remember correctly though, a lot of this still remained by 1990, right?
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

I miss the glowing crystal shop that used to be under the castle. I never actually got to go in there because my family would always rush through the castle to get to Fantasyland, but it was neat seeing it every time.

•   
    • Minion

I'm still reeling at the thought that there was once an entire store in Disneyland dedicated to Villains. WHY isn't that around now, WHYYYY?

As far as my own list, I miss the old Gibson Girl/Penny Arcade and the crystal elephant. I really miss the elephant.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I'm still reeling at the thought that there was once an entire store in Disneyland dedicated to Villains. WHY isn't that around now, WHYYYY?
    It was a tiiiiiiny shop. But yes, it was neat. They had the old hag in a cage there for the longest time.

I'll join the chorus regarding the Disney Gallery (above POTC). I sorely miss that place (though my husband is thankful I'm not spending money there, I suppose...).

There are a few that come to mind:

1) I remember in one area near the T-junction to the right of Sleeping Beauty Castle where the parade floats normally go through, and where the Pixie Hollow exit is, used to be a rather large souvenir stand, that also allowed mouse-ear embroidering so you could get your own personalized mouse ears.

I think my deck of Disney playing cards came from this booth in 1985, but I do knows one small odds-and-ends were purchased there over the years.

2) Gepetto's Toy Shop - of all the things to have in Fantasyland, this to me seemed a perfect thing. I recall back in 1990 seeing reproductions of the vintage Mickey/Minnie figures for sale, and I got my Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey there too. In 1990, they also offered him in the bizarre maroon-colored robes and teal sorcerer's hat per the 1990 images for marketing.

I also have this bizarre memory of our family getting one of those hour-early entries in 1990, and taking a look inside the toy shop, with two CM's sitting on the floor, unpacking some children's Tinkebell outfits.

3) Disneyana - as a kid, I always remember this store as being rather high-end with vintage items that were beyond my price range, as well as the bins of old animation cels. I think you could find a few from Pete's Dragon from time to time.
    The list of Disney people I've encountered in my life: John Lasseter, Brad Bird, Lee Unkrich, Darla K Anderson, Eric Goldberg, Don Hahn, Peter Schneider, Burney Mattinson, John Musker, Ron Clements, Nik Ranieri, John Kahrs, Jeff Turley, Patrick Osbourne, Dave Bossert, Roy P Disney.

People I would love to meet in person: Glen Keane, Andreas Deja.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MWH1980 View Post
    1) I remember in one area near the T-junction to the right of Sleeping Beauty Castle where the parade floats normally go through, and where the Pixie Hollow exit is, used to be a rather large souvenir stand, that also allowed mouse-ear embroidering so you could get your own personalized mouse ears.

I think my deck of Disney playing cards came from this booth in 1985, but I do knows one small odds-and-ends were purchased there over the years....
    Yep -- that was the big souvenir stand at Alpine Gardens, the garden-and-fountain area that was formerly the home of the House of Tomorrow, later re-named King Triton's Garden. They had a tremendous selection of Disneyland souvenirs... and like the other souvenir stands where Mouse Ears were sold, they'd stitch your name on it for free.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Done with MC.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    IIRC the black and white linoleum tiles have been a part of that shop for many many years. I don't think it ever had marble floors to be honest.
    I've done a fair amount of tiling so I tend to notice this kind of thing. The original marble (which was laid out the same and looked very similar to the vinyl) was covered over or replaced 4 or 5 years ago. It had some nasty scars in it where something heavy had been drug across it and there was probably no way to repair it.
    It was really very grand looking and not the usual "cultured" marble you see now days.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    If I remember correctly though, a lot of this still remained by 1990, right?
    The shops were still there, but by then the uniqueness and charm had gone out of the merchandise. The generic "One Disney" and "Disney Parks" corporate business models had their antecedents in post-1985 Disneyland merchandise. Shortly after the advent of Eisner, the buyers who for 30 years had filled Disneyland's shops with unique, only-in-Disneyland merchandise were dumped. The result was an influx of generic, cheaply made, high-markup "county fair" junk.

By the late 1980s, the county fair-style merch was accompanied by an avalanche of Disney-branded items that had been mass-purchased for the Disney Store chain -- you'd often see items with the smaller "Disneyland" price sticker not-quite-covering the larger Disney Store sticker. Disney-branded merchandise was jammed into every shop, regardless of its appropriateness for the theme of the shop or the land. The advent of the ODV division drove the final stake into the heart of Disneyland's once-magical and unique merchandise.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-10-2013 at 09:05 PM.

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Merchandise locations? Miss? I would not use those together is any sort of nostalgic way.

There are people who do not go Disneyland for the shopping opportunities.
    The park used to be a great place for retail therapy.
    The old Madamemoiselle Antoinette’s Parfumerie used to make custom fragrances for you.
    The One of A Kind shop had so many unique pieces of a very wide range that you could easily spend a long time just looking through their inventory. The Crystal palace had glass workers on hand making things while you watched. My favorite was the Tobacco Shop which carried products from around the world. You could count on their inventory to be fresh. You could find tobacco products that you could find no where else.

What you used to have at Disneyland was the experience of discovery. You paid the Disney premium, but their products were top notch. The Disney Gallery had exceptional pieces. Their art now is underwhelming and overpriced. Madamemoiselle Antoinette’s Parfumerie carries items that you can buy at any Macy's. There's nothing special. So, yes you can be nostalgic about shops.The Disney experience used to be so much more than just the attractions & it was for the entire family. Some people like to shop. What they offer now can be found elsewhere. The unique shops offered just one more layer in enhancing a visit to Disney.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

• Senior Minion

^ This. Very well said.

- Neil Gabler

• Seeker of Fun

Land specific merchandise. Period.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The shops were still there, but by then the uniqueness and charm had gone out of the merchandise. The generic "One Disney" and "Disney Parks" corporate business models had their antecedents in post-1985 Disneyland merchandise. Shortly after the advent of Eisner, the buyers who for 30 years had filled Disneyland's shops with unique, only-in-Disneyland merchandise were dumped. The result was an influx of generic, cheaply made, high-markup "county fair" junk.

By the late 1980s, the county fair-style merch was accompanied by an avalanche of Disney-branded items that had been mass-purchased for the Disney Store chain -- you'd often see items with the smaller "Disneyland" price sticker not-quite-covering the larger Disney Store sticker. Disney-branded merchandise was jammed into every shop, regardless of its appropriateness for the theme of the shop or the land. The advent of the ODV division drove the final stake into the heart of Disneyland's once-magical and unique merchandise.
    So sad

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    The Gourmet shop in NoS, yes, miss that one a lot. And the Villains store in Fantasyland before it moved to NoS and got successively watered down more and more with the merchandise shoved at it (Haunted Mansion was fine to mix in, but then Nightmare Before Christmas shoved basically all of the merch from both villains and HM out and it never really came back).
    I totally forgot there ever was a villains store there, but now that you mention it, I do remember it! I think it might have opened when I was still working there, and I remember walking through it once. I vaguely remember it looking pretty cool, but being very small. I don't remember how long it lasted because I rarely go to Fantasyland.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I totally forgot there ever was a villains store there, but now that you mention it, I do remember it! I think it might have opened when I was still working there, and I remember walking through it once. I vaguely remember it looking pretty cool, but being very small. I don't remember how long it lasted because I rarely go to Fantasyland.
    The Villains shop was pretty cool, but had... flaws. I'm well over 6' tall and my main memory of the store are a number of low-hanging support beams.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12