Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Any merchandise locations that you miss?

So we all have rides that don't exist anymore that we miss and wish Disney would bring back, from Adventures Thru Inner Space to the People Mover to the Skyway. But are there any merchandise locations that have closed down that you miss? Number one for me would be the jewlry shop in New Orleans Square. I walked by it frequently when I used to work there and I kind of had it in the back of my mind that whenever I got married I would get my wife's wedding ring there. I also miss the old version of La Masquarade d'Orleans that used to sell some really cool and unique merchandise. It always reminded me of a bayou themed Pier 1. Sadly now it's pretty much just a pin shop.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

Re: Any merchandise locations that you miss?

NOS, the One-of-a-kind shop with the spillover of saleable steamer trunks in the 'alley' on the side. Close second is the shop that succeeded it, when they tried to switch to a less 'curio' merch profile by including a large (then rapidly shrinking) 'Cajun' food section. It's where I first saw the Zatarains brand and for years allowed me to legitimately tell my roommates I was "going to go buy some stuff for dinner".
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The Gourmet shop in NoS, yes, miss that one a lot. And the Villains store in Fantasyland before it moved to NoS and got successively watered down more and more with the merchandise shoved at it (Haunted Mansion was fine to mix in, but then Nightmare Before Christmas shoved basically all of the merch from both villains and HM out and it never really came back).
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Closed Account

I dislike that Pieces of Eight is almost exclusively Pirates (film) and The Nightmare Before Christmas. I want my Haunted Mansion stuff that ISN'T Nightmare related.

• Down Pluto!

Merchandise locations? Miss? I would not use those together is any sort of nostalgic way.

There are people who do not go Disneyland for the shopping opportunities.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Johnny and Me!

I miss the little shop in the original Disney Gallery above Pirates.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    I miss the little shop in the original Disney Gallery above Pirates.
    AND the Disneyana Shop on Main Street USA.

In fact the old Markethouse was VASTLY superior, too. They could have simply changed out the coffee. The Gibson Girl was also vastly more charming in the days of the crystal elephant. -

• Senior Minion

My favorites:

• The unique merchandise that was carried pre-1985 in the Main Street Emporium, China Closet, Jewelry Shop, Candle Shop, Book Store and Crystal Arcade. And of course, the merchandise and atmosphere of the pre-1985 Market House and the charm and functionality of the Bank of America.
    • The unique merchandise and charm of the pre-1985 Tinker Bell Toy Shoppe, Geppetto's Arts & Crafts and Mickey's Christmas Chalet in Fantasyland.
    • The unique merchandise in all the shops in pre-1985 Frontierland -- the Frontier Leather Shop, Frontier Trading Post and Mexican Village shop in the Davy Crockett Arcade; the Frontier Rock Shop; and the Western apparel and jewelry in the Frontier Trading Post.
    • The unique merchandise in the Wilderness Outpost and Indian Trading Post in Bear Country.
    • In New Orleans Square, the unique merchandise in One-of-a-Kind, Le Gourmet, Laffite's Silver Shop and Brass Boutique. The class act that Mlle. Antoinette's Parfumerie was before 1985.

The shopping experience in pre-Eisner Disneyland was enormously superior in uniqueness of merchandise, selection of merchandise, land-appropriate theming of merchandise and the immersive atmosphere of the shops -- all of which were killed when the Eisner regime fired Disneyland's long-experienced staff of buyers and brought in retail mall marketeers.

The one post-1985 shop that didn't diminish the Disneyland experience for me was the Disney Gallery above POTC. To no surprise, they managed to destroy that as well.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-09-2013 at 10:28 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The shopping experience in pre-Eisner Disneyland was enormously superior in uniqueness of merchandise, selection of merchandise, land-appropriate theming of merchandise and the immersive atmosphere of the shops -- all of which were killed when the Eisner regime fired Disneyland's long-experienced staff of buyers and brought in retail mall marketeers.

The one post-1985 shop that didn't diminish the Disneyland experience was the Disney Gallery above POTC. To no surprise, they managed to destroy that as well.
    Now this I agree with. Although I am not a "good shopper" I do miss the way merchandise was handled. That was vastly superior to today's same crap in every shop and disdain for originality mentality. Good call Mr Wiggins, good call.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    the Disneyana Shop on Main Street USA.

The Gibson Girl was also vastly more charming in the days of the crystal elephant. -
    YES! Totally agree with you on both points!

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Not a specific shop per se, but I do miss the rifles and muskets they sold in the mid '80s, I think it was in Pieces of Eight (or whatever it was called back then), or somewhere in Frontierland. Back then, those rifles especially were something that all of us young boys wanted so badly!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Pendleton.

And me the antique store in NOS (can't remember the name of it)

• The doctor is in

I remember at one point in time there was a shop in or near Fantasyland that was a villains store. I always liked walking around in there. Now it seems no matter which shop you go into they mostly have all the same stuff.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Done with MC.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    AND the Disneyana Shop on Main Street USA.

In fact the old Markethouse was VASTLY superior, too. They could have simply changed out the coffee. The Gibson Girl was also vastly more charming in the days of the crystal elephant. -
    Have to agree with all this. The GG also had a beautiful black and white marble floor but it was in rough shape with all the years of wear. So they covered it with black and white lino tiles a few years ago.
    I don't think anybody else ever noticed this.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

IIRC the black and white linoleum tiles have been a part of that shop for many many years. I don't think it ever had marble floors to be honest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast