View Poll Results: What do you think of the Jingle Cruise?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's a fine addition to Disneyland's Seasonal Offerings

21 60.00%
  • I don't care / have no input

7 20.00%
  • It sucks! Hmph!

7 20.00%
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

• Donald's #1 Fan

Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

My wife had no expectations and she thought it was a pretty lousy effort on Disney's part.

And she's not the hardcore dedicated fan that I am... oh.. wait.. .she has gone with me every time to DL and she's the one who asks me to take her there. She knows her way around both pars perfectly well without a map and knows which attractions are original.. she's a hardcore fan!

• a wind to shake the stars

Lousy effort when compared to what? The Jungle Cruise this time last year, which had no lights and no holiday-related jokes?

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    Lousy effort when compared to what? The Jungle Cruise this time last year, which had no lights and no holiday-related jokes?
    Lousy effort when compared to other themed attractions. Even Storybook canal is a better overlay. And don't get me started on HMH or SWH.

When you place a big ad on the tunnels, next to the other big attractions posters, you expect something special. You know, I didn't hear that much about Haunted Mansion Holiday, except for the poster on the entrance. I don't think Small World Holiday has a special poster. We just found them and they blew away any expectations we could have had. We saw the Jingle Cruise poster, read about it on the blog and were expecting something terrific. We were very disappointed.

• Minion

Exactly...how can any addition be underwhelming? I just don't get it.

Let me ask everyone this: would it have been better if they kept the Jungle Cruise the same? Or would it have been better if they had completely disregarded the theme of the ride and gone balls to the wall tacky on Christmas decorations everywhere?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Exactly...how can any addition be underwhelming? I just don't get it.

Let me ask everyone this: would it have been better if they kept the Jungle Cruise the same? Or would it have been better if they had completely disregarded the theme of the ride and gone balls to the wall tacky on Christmas decorations everywhere?
    The complaint is the Jungle Cruise is the same. If they done the second, it would have been better even though you wrote it derisively. You don't call the ride "Jingle Cruise" for nothing. Nothing is what you got.

• Minion

You wouldn't call a new script an overlay? Like I said, on the Jungle Cruise the script makes the ride, so a revision to that is pretty significant IMO. Like sbk said, sometimes less is more. They can't go Nightmare Before Christmas on the Jungle Cruise, it would ruin the ride (which would lead to even more complaints).

Even then, this wasn't advertised. Like at all. I doubt most guests know about Jingle Cruise coming into the park. At WDW, for instance, where the majority of the crowds aren't blog-watching Disney-obsessed locals, the lines for Jingle Cruise have been very average.
    No I don't count a different script as an overlay. Changing the background music on Main Street doesn't make that a whole new land.

They still advertised it on the blog. Doesn't really make a difference how many people see it, they still promoted it as something new when it is just decorations. Did they make a blog post about an 'overlay' coming to Hollywoodland in DCA because that got some new decorations? No they didn't.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    The complaint is the Jungle Cruise is the same. If they done the second, it would have been better even though you wrote it derisively. You don't call the ride "Jingle Cruise" for nothing. Nothing is what you got.
    That is incorrect.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    No I don't count a different script as an overlay. Changing the background music on Main Street doesn't make that a whole new land.

They still advertised it on the blog. Doesn't really make a difference how many people see it, they still promoted it as something new when it is just decorations. Did they make a blog post about an 'overlay' coming to Hollywoodland in DCA because that got some new decorations? No they didn't.
    Fair enough. I feel that to the average guest, however, a slight re-working of the script to reflect the holidays is only a good thing. Yes, maybe the blogpost was a bad idea because it created expectations. However, I always took it as what I think it's meant to be--a pleasant surprise to passerby. And in that respect, it succeeds. I don't think it was meant to re-invent the wheel, but a few holiday decorations and Christmas jokes never really hurt anybody...considering that they could've done nothing to it, it's good for what it is. I believe one's reception of the Jingle Cruise lies entirely in their expectations.

We saw it on Sunday, and I thought it was ok. Some of the jokes were lame, but at least it wasn't over the top and didn't detract from the theme. My biggest complaint with the JC these days is the ducks. Seriously, they need to thin out the duck population at the park. They're taking over the place. Nothing looks more ridiculous than two ducks sitting on a rhino's head as he surfaces. It sort of diminishes the effect.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Proof: If it were that easy Radio Disney would be piped into speakers at Magic Kingdom and they'd never have remodeled New Fantasyland.

• Minion

Fair enough. I feel that to the average guest, however, a slight re-working of the script to reflect the holidays is only a good thing. Yes, maybe the blogpost was a bad idea because it created expectations. However, I always took it as what I think it's meant to be--a pleasant surprise to passerby. And in that respect, it succeeds. I don't think it was meant to re-invent the wheel, but a few holiday decorations and Christmas jokes never really hurt anybody...considering that they could've done nothing to it, it's good for what it is. I believe one's reception of the Jingle Cruise lies entirely in their expectations.
    I'm not against the new script or decorations, I just think Disney went about it the complete wrong way. If they just added them with no announcement or anything it would have been a nice little surprise. But with the blog post and calling it an overlay it just feels cheap that they are marketing this as something new.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Disney's intent was to get people to ride Jungle and based on 2 reviews and several pages that's what they got people to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Congo Chris View Post
    Nothing looks more ridiculous than two ducks sitting on a rhino's head as he surfaces.
    If they rigged the rhino in the hippo pool that's not "nothing"!

I find the whole thing fascinating. As I said earlier Skips have been asking for official holiday jokes for decades. I'm curious as to what jokes they have at their disposal.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

I'm not against the new script or decorations, I just think Disney went about it the complete wrong way. If they just added them with no announcement or anything it would have been a nice little surprise. But with the blog post and calling it an overlay it just feels cheap that they are marketing this as something new.
    Exactly. As they've done so many times in the last ten years, they once again show that they're big on hype and short on quality.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• a wind to shake the stars

I really don't think an attraction poster and a blog post are "hype." Keep in mind that the blog's most recent post is about new plush toys based on Small World you can purchase. The next post is about making your own Strawberry Twists like they sell at Disneyland. My point being that the barrier to entry for the blog isn't especially high.

This is what the blog said:

The attraction queue and boathouse will be decorated, the Skippers will add a slew of seasonal jokes to their tours, and even the Jungle Cruise boats will receive holiday names.

Based on this, what did you expect to be included that was not?

• Minion

I really don't think an attraction poster and a blog post are "hype." Keep in mind that the blog's most recent post is about new plush toys based on Small World you can purchase. The next post is about making your own Strawberry Twists like they sell at Disneyland. My point being that the barrier to entry for the blog isn't especially high.

This is what the blog said:

Based on this, what did you expect to be included that was not?
    You missed out this bit

We just got word from our friends in Walt Disney Imagineering that an Adventureland attraction will receive its first-ever holiday makeover this year. Beginning in early November, Jungle Cruise at both Disneyland park andMagic Kingdom Park will temporarily transform into “Jingle Cruise” for the holiday season!
    I'd hardly say they ''transformed'' it

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast