View Poll Results: What do you think of the Jingle Cruise?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's a fine addition to Disneyland's Seasonal Offerings

21 60.00%
  • I don't care / have no input

7 20.00%
  • It sucks! Hmph!

7 20.00%
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

• a wind to shake the stars

Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

"Transform into" meaning "it's going to change from the Jungle Cruise to the Jingle Cruise." Of course we can argue for pages over the meaning of transform or we can point to the very next sentence in which they describe the exact changes that will be made.

I guess if you read the blog post but stopped immediately after the first sentence you might be a bit underwhelmed, but those who read the entire post probably knew what to expect.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    "Transform into" meaning "it's going to change from the Jungle Cruise to the Jingle Cruise." Of course we can argue for pages over the meaning of transform or we can point to the very next sentence in which they describe the exact changes that will be made.

I guess if you read the blog post but stopped immediately after the first sentence you might be a bit underwhelmed, but those who read the entire post probably knew what to expect.
    Except I did read the full blog post and I was still underwhelmed.

I've said it before but to me they merely decorated the Jungle Cruise. The rest of the park doesn't get a blog post for being decorated.

• Senior Minion

I really don't think an attraction poster and a blog post are "hype."
    A definition of hype is "to promote or publicize a product or idea in a manner that exaggerates its importance or benefits."

That's definitely what Disney did with the Jingle Cruise attraction poster.

If they want to create a holiday overlay for the Jungle Cruise that's worthy of a Disneyland attractions poster, that's great. If they want to make a small addition to the Jungle Cruise that guests simply come upon and enjoy, that's great too.

It's doing both at the same time that is getting Disney flack for Jingle Cruise -- just as it has gotten Disney the well-earned reputation of hyping promotional come-ons that promise more than they deliver.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Donald's #1 Fan

Exactly. Whatever your definition of "transform" is - they didn't do it to the JC.

"Transform" - transformtransˈfɔːm,trɑːns-,-nz-/
    verb

make a marked change in the form, nature, or appearance of.
    • ----------

• Was there a change? Sort of. Was it "marked"? No way. It wasn't a transformation. It was Christmas lightning over the same form, nature and appearance of. They didn't transform anything. HMH is a transformation. SMH is a transformation. IMHO. The Jingle Cruise is just that - some Christmas stuff on top of the same attraction.

(Sorry about being so anal about things, but someone at the office is currently training us on tons of stuff, and last week he taught us about the power of words. He said the wrong word can mean pretty much a disaster at a business level. While this is not the case, Disney should have used a different word and we would have set our expectations accordingly.)

•   
    • Banned User

I went on a soft opening of it on November 10th. My impression is that it was one string of lights on top of the boat and a bunch of jokes so unpleasant to read that the skipper's smiling face couldn't hide the look in the eyes of "Help me. For God's sake, someone help me." That was it, that was the holiday getup.

First of all, I liked the Small World Holiday and if they really needed something to holiday-ify THAT should probably remain it. Let's assume that TDA said it should be something else. My suggestions:

1) Storybook Canal Boats. Make miniature decorations to show holidays being celebrated in different parts of the world.

2) Tarzan's Treehouse. Where my previous suggestion goes to the miniature, this one goes the opposite direction. Make it one big "holiday tree" or whatever. Although I'm no fan of messing with pre-existing things, I have to admit the novelty of walking THROUGH a Christmas tr, er, sorry... "Holiday" tree. That would be kind of neat to see the inside of the tree from the ornaments point of view, and maybe how the living areas are Holiday-ified.

This all assumes that there's even a legitimate need to holiday up any attraction. Maybe Santa toilet paper in the restrooms?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    A definition of hype is "to promote or publicize a product or idea in a manner that exaggerates its importance or benefits."

That's definitely what Disney did with the Jingle Cruise attraction poster.

If they want to create a holiday overlay for the Jungle Cruise that's worthy of a Disneyland attractions poster, that's great. If they want to make a small addition to the Jungle Cruise that guests simply come upon and enjoy, that's great too.

It's doing both at the same time that is getting Disney flack for Jingle Cruise -- just as it has gotten Disney the well-earned reputation of hyping promotional come-ons that promise more than they deliver.
    Exactly, Disney should not have promoted it as a transformation if it was intended to be this underwhelming.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    Simple ideas to make the overlay more thorough:

- Weather reports in the queue warn of a freak snowstorm sweeping down from Mt. Kilimanjaro and blanketing Africa in melting snow, a la Blizzard Beach, turning it into a "Winter Savanna-Land."

- No Christmas decor until the boats reach the safari camp. Mounds of snow appear along the shore and in the trees (all fake of course, but realistic), while the curious gorillas have begun to raid the camp's supply of Christmas presents, and the safari camp's makeshift tree. The gorilla holding the baby now holds a stocking (filled with bananas), the gorilla trying on a hat is wearing a scarf and trying on a new pith helmet graced by holly, a new gorilla figure toys with a jack-in-the-box, often being frightened, the gorilla looking into the gun remains, the gun now boasting a ribbon, and the gorilla shooting at the water remains, also using a bow-topped gun. Crummy Christmas lights composed of colored gas lanterns entangle the tent's roof and nearby trees. The gorilla a few feet down the river continues to reach for a crate of bananas, only it is now a Christmas present, rather than TNT.

- The African Veldt, also dotted with snow patches, features snow angels made by long-gone explorers and a snowman, the snowman's face composed of desert stones, with arms made of bamboo twigs. A huge bite-mark appears in the snowman's side, the snowman's frozen expression frozen in surprise.

- A new motivation is given to the lost safari; they're trying to put a star on top of the totem pole. Unfortunately, the rhino still has them up a tree, a wreath around his horn.

- Melting snow continues to pop-up throughout the Africa portion, continuing all the way to Schweitzer Falls, the falls labeled lovingly as a melting "snow cap in the middle of the jungle." Dripping icicles, accomplished in some tricky effect hang from the sides of the falls, not pouring down falls, giving an extra little splash, even if the real-life weather is kind of cold.

Yay!! ! Someone is in the TRUE Jingle Cruise Spirit!

Here's one more : " Ladies and Gentlemen, the back side of ICE!!!! Also Known As E. C. I. !"

• a wind to shake the stars

The most recent post on the Disney Parks Blog is "The ‘Wild West Side’ of Frontierland Stores at Disneyland Park"

They are literally highlighting new shirts and cowboy hats:

Back by popular demand and true to the roots of the original concept for the store are plaid Pendleton button down shirts, and yes you see it right – cowboy hats! What’s Frontierland without cowboy hats…Am I right? Well, of course…
    My point being that the blog tends to "hype" things up, even boring things like shirts and hats, because it's a promotional blog and that's kind of the point.

My second point is that they described exactly, to an item, the changes that were going into the ride. It's difficult to fault them for saying "we're doing three things" and then doing those three things.

I was really looking forward to trip reports with the "slew" of new jokes. Me, personally, I'd be up for the tacky antlers on the zebra and just about anything that would be hysterically stupid so that, after having ridden the Jungle Cruise fifty or a hundred times, I'd leave breathless from having laughed so hard.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Senior Minion

My point being that the blog tends to "hype" things up, even boring things like shirts and hats, because it's a promotional blog and that's kind of the point.

My second point is that they described exactly, to an item, the changes that were going into the ride. It's difficult to fault them for saying "we're doing three things" and then doing those three things.
    Disney isn't just relying on its blog and in-park attraction posters to hype the Jingle Cruise, their PR machine has revved up the local press:

OC Register: Disneyland's Jungle Cruise gets a holiday makeover

L.A. Times -- Disneyland amps up Christmas with Jingle Cruises, 'Winter Dreams' - a gushing article that notes "the beloved Jungle Cruise has been transformed into a Jingle Cruise."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Those handful of skippers are the ones that have made the Jungle Cruise one of my favorite attractions at DL, And its just by luck and chance when you do get to experience a skipper like that. It's a perfect storm, of a great setting with a great performer. So far, I haven't seen any of the current skipper take this sparse Christmas overlay to the level of the best of the best skippers.
    This goes back to my comment about modern technology. Years past you didn't have iphones everywhere with cameras in them capable of taking decent video/audio. You didn't have instant internet access. Disney didn't have a substantial social media presence. So if Skips pulled their hi-jinks it was a very personal experience that you could only tell others about. On rare occasions the Skip would get some blowback if someone said anything to City Hall or a Manager. Now... now it takes seconds to get a video, post it to Twitter or Youtube or Facebook or anywhere really, and tag Disney. Irrespective of the best of intentions said media would be scrutinized and if the Skip was "off script" they would get blowback immediately. Boats hold on average 35-40 people. Even assuming only a handful (say 5) are recording... how many of their friends will see the post? If it's an "amazing cruise" how long until it gets legs and more share it?

People want these amazingly performances on a personal level but when said performances are shared the Skip risks getting the blowback. That could mean loss of trainer/lead status, it could even mean termination of employment.

Did we pull stupid stunts... yes... did we worry about anyone recording them and posting them for all to see... no... would we have done them if that was a viable threat... no.
    Last edited by techskip; 11-21-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• formerly very helpful

I'm curious who's decision is it to come down hard and penalize the skippers? Management at the ride? Department heads? Upper management and executives?
    I'm not talking about a skipper who would be profane or offensive, but it's really a shame that SOMEONE with authority has found it a good idea to stifle the creativity. They must feel it would in some way interfere with profits, but I can't figure out how.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I'm curious who's decision is it to come down hard and penalize the skippers? Management at the ride? Department heads? Upper management and executives?
    I'm not talking about a skipper who would be profane or offensive, but it's really a shame that SOMEONE with authority has found it a good idea to stifle the creativity. They must feel it would in some way interfere with profits, but I can't figure out how.
    It's not about profits, it's just a pre-cautionary thing. One skipper starts improvising, then they all do. And before long, they feel they have improv freedom and someone will say something out of line. That's management's thinking, anyway. The PR people don't want to run the risk of getting complaints or sued for any joke that could be taken out of context or construed as offensive/off-color. How do you prevent that? By making sure the skippers stick absolutely 100% to the pre-approved politically-correct script they've already written.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    It's not about profits, it's just a pre-cautionary thing. One skipper starts improvising, then they all do. And before long, they feel they have improv freedom and someone will say something out of line. That's management's thinking, anyway. The PR people don't want to run the risk of getting complaints or sued for any joke that could be taken out of context or construed as offensive/off-color. How do you prevent that? By making sure the skippers stick absolutely 100% to the pre-approved politically-correct script they've already written.
    There's also something to be said for conformity of experience.

The trouble with improv is that sometimes it just doesn't work. Even the most awesome skipper has an off night. Some skippers, honestly, just don't have the innate self-loathing or whatever it is that makes an outstanding comedian.

By sticking to a preapproved script, you remove at least part of that issue. If someone's on an off night, they're at least still delivering jokes that worked well enough to be scripted in the first place. If someone's off script AND on an off night, it can be... bad. Very bad.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I have to draw the distinction between "decision" and "responsibility".
    The "decision" is company policy. So I assume it would be a suit that has the authority to modify or change company policy who would be able to make a "decision" as to applying the policy. Everyone else has to follow policy. Said policy is also in effect at WDW as well. Point being there's a script, you have to follow it. The "responsibility" for keeping the Skips in check and speaking with them if they go off script falls to the area management team (in this case Adventureland Management). They also have the responsibility of informing CM's when they receive a compliment. So it's not just "bad guys".

As to the "punishment", it depends on if it is a first time offense etc. Skips have to make the if they want decision to risk it. A lot of us did "back then" but again this was a different time when it was pretty low risk compared to today.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast