View Poll Results: What do you think of the Jingle Cruise?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's a fine addition to Disneyland's Seasonal Offerings

    21 60.00%
  • I don't care / have no input

    7 20.00%
  • It sucks! Hmph!

    7 20.00%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 215
  1. #166

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    There's also something to be said for conformity of experience.

    The trouble with improv is that sometimes it just doesn't work. Even the most awesome skipper has an off night. Some skippers, honestly, just don't have the innate self-loathing or whatever it is that makes an outstanding comedian.

    By sticking to a preapproved script, you remove at least part of that issue. If someone's on an off night, they're at least still delivering jokes that worked well enough to be scripted in the first place. If someone's off script AND on an off night, it can be... bad. Very bad.
    If you're implying that the hope is for all Guests to have a uniform experience that actually wouldn't be accurate. The whole reason for the variety of options is so Skips can tailor their spiel and provide a unique experience. Whether or not they chose to utilize those options is a different conversation entirely.

    The primary concern isn't someone having an "off" day it's liability. There are plenty of times where someone took offense to a sour delivery and the reality was that joke was in the script... I say "was" because most jokes that got complaints got removed!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  2. #167

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  3. #168

    • formerly very helpful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    5,062

    Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

    I understand about not wanting to offend anyone, and I agree with that. It's a shame, though, that skippers can't make up their own spiels, and get them approved prior to using them. I know I've read that this used to be allowed, but is no longer. I guess based on what Techskip wrote earlier, nobody would want to take responsibility for making a bad call on something not approved by the higher ups.

  4. #169

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

    Bah! Humbug

  5. #170

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I understand about not wanting to offend anyone, and I agree with that. It's a shame, though, that skippers can't make up their own spiels, and get them approved prior to using them. I know I've read that this used to be allowed, but is no longer. I guess based on what Techskip wrote earlier, nobody would want to take responsibility for making a bad call on something not approved by the higher ups.
    There is a program in place for Skippers to submit their own jokes. They "sign over" all rights to the material and it goes through the inner workings and might get approved by WDI. It's a lengthy process.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  6. #171

    • Singing Drinker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,061

    Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    If you're implying that the hope is for all Guests to have a uniform experience that actually wouldn't be accurate. The whole reason for the variety of options is so Skips can tailor their spiel and provide a unique experience. Whether or not they chose to utilize those options is a different conversation entirely.

    The primary concern isn't someone having an "off" day it's liability. There are plenty of times where someone took offense to a sour delivery and the reality was that joke was in the script... I say "was" because most jokes that got complaints got removed!
    Going off the reasoning given by an ex-skipper I worked tech support with combined with personal experience, honestly. It's also the reasoning they gave to a friend of mine who worked the (now sadly bulldozed) Haunted Shack at KBF. I should note that it was never given as the *primary* reason - according to my source any trouble and lectures on returning to script were 100% preceded by a customer complaint - but it was usually cited in the reasons they gave for adhering to the script, and it's IMO at least valid as a concern.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

  7. #172

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

    I clearly remember having the "Burger King, McDonalds, Wendys, Carls Jr, 5 Guys, In n Out, Fatburger, Johnny Rockets, Red Robin, TGIF" conversation with a Manager who said we should just have a single standard spiel. He said the employees are paid to make a burger a specific way. I asked how many customers said with or without pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, onions, wrap instead of bun, no dressing etc. As his face contorted I asked why other people paid their employees to make burgers a completely different way. He tried to stop the conversation so I asked if he's ever been to more than 1 burger joint before... if he had he demonstrated that he likes to have burgers made in different ways... not my fault he chose a poor analogy.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  8. #173

    • Hello again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    106

    Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

    One thing I love about the Mice Chat forums (and the writers) is that the bar is always set so low that I am surprised when I ride the ride.
    So far off the top of my head:
    Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, I loved it, read it was one of the worst attractions, etc. I get surprised!

    Toystory (Midway) Mania, I loved it, I remember reading things like barely a C ticket ride, etc. I get surprised!

    So now Jingle Cruise, I'm expecting it to flat out suck based on what I have read, I hope when I hit up DLR in a couple days, I will be surprised!


    "Well!"

  9. #174

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I clearly remember having the "Burger King, McDonalds, Wendys, Carls Jr, 5 Guys, In n Out, Fatburger, Johnny Rockets, Red Robin, TGIF" conversation with a Manager who said we should just have a single standard spiel. He said the employees are paid to make a burger a specific way. I asked how many customers said with or without pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, onions, wrap instead of bun, no dressing etc. As his face contorted I asked why other people paid their employees to make burgers a completely different way. He tried to stop the conversation so I asked if he's ever been to more than 1 burger joint before... if he had he demonstrated that he likes to have burgers made in different ways... not my fault he chose a poor analogy.
    Bingo of the Year!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  10. #175

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo of the Year!
    FWIW I told him Jack in the Box had the best Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich and I wasn't a burger person anyways.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  11. #176

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona, Ca
    Posts
    398

    Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

    Rode it last week and was a bit underwhelmed. I was ok with them leaving the ride scenes alone and the jokes/spiel was very much hit and miss. I was really surprised how little the queue was decorated. I expected much more there and had we not gone through the upstairs portion, we would have missed that part of the decorations. Pretty much a miss overall in my book and not worth the longer wait.

  12. #177

    • formerly very helpful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    5,062

    Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    There is a program in place for Skippers to submit their own jokes. They "sign over" all rights to the material and it goes through the inner workings and might get approved by WDI. It's a lengthy process.
    Thank for clarifying that.

    That said, I just got back from three days at the park. I will tell you that I found Jingle Cruise to be a really nice ride that I thourouly enjoyed. Perhaps part of the reason is what I was personally looking for in the experience. I wanted the ride to maintain the feel of the original, which it did. Although there were holiday puns galore, they did not overwhelm the ride to the point of distraction. (I even liked how they included the Chanukah joke "Piranahka". Still, for those who don't want holiday overlays, it was essentially the classic ride. Not everyone listens to the spiel, anyway. It really seemed like the perfect balance, and I was very pleased.

  13. #178

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    33

    Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoop View Post
    One thing I love about the Mice Chat forums (and the writers) is that the bar is always set so low that I am surprised when I ride the ride.
    So far off the top of my head:
    Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, I loved it, read it was one of the worst attractions, etc. I get surprised!

    Toystory (Midway) Mania, I loved it, I remember reading things like barely a C ticket ride, etc. I get surprised!

    So now Jingle Cruise, I'm expecting it to flat out suck based on what I have read, I hope when I hit up DLR in a couple days, I will be surprised!

    Haha! Totally agree here. Went to DCA last year and rode The Little Mermaid, thought it was going to be awful. One of my favorite dark rides, now, it's behind POC, HM, PP and it comes in fourth. Not bad, IMO.

    So I'd probably enjoy the Jingle Cruise, with the low expectations I now have of it.

  14. #179

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    57

    Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

    I have mixed feelings. I mean it was cute but I could take it or leave it

  15. #180

    • I'm the Doctor
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4

    Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    At least they didn't make it tacky like Haunted Mansion Holiday
    Thats a matter of opinion. I think HMH is one of the best overlays Disney has and millions would agree with me
    Last edited by MrRowe; 11-29-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    Nanananananananananana BATMAN!!!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Jingle Cruise
    By Hathaway Browne in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 07:30 PM
  2. [News] Jingle Cruise - Disneyland Holiday Overlay to the Jungle Cruise
    By Dustysage in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 09:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •