View Poll Results: What do you think of the Jingle Cruise?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's a fine addition to Disneyland's Seasonal Offerings

21 60.00%
  • I don't care / have no input

7 20.00%
  • It sucks! Hmph!

7 20.00%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

How about Holly Jolly Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Dress him in a Santa outfit and have him sing carols.

• Minion

Ok so I just watched the Disney World version on Youtube, and I have to say that I agree with you guys. That holiday overlay is pretty lackluster. Most of the jokes were just about throwing a "holiday party" or a "holiday feast" on top of the normal spiel.

• Blew By You

Oh well. Looks like nothing to get too excited about. I'd think that the original idea was pretty good until the dummy down department got its hands on it.

• Minion

I was never excited about this. My CM friend works in Adventureland and told me a long time ago his Jungle Cruise CM buddies hated the script. Once he told me that, my expectations went way down.

At least we have "small world" Holiday and Haunted Mansion Holiday. Magic Kingdom finally gets a Christmas overlay and it's crap. So messed up.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Yeeesh!

Of the Christmas overlays on attractions that Disneyland has done, pretty much EVERYTHING they have done before including:

Country Bear Christmas
    Haunted Mansion Holiday
    Small World Holiday
    Christmas Fireworks,
    the Christmas Decorations in Toontown (with the exception of the pathetic transplants from WDW) and
    the Chrismas Decoration in Radiator Springs

THEY ALL FAR SURPASS in effort and in show what Disney did for Jingle Cruise.

Jingle Cruise is just lackluster and does nothing surprising or different, than what is offered by the regular Jungle Cruise. Disney Management deserves a lump of coal in their stocking this year, for the lack of transformation of the Jingle Cruise. THERE MUST BE AT LEAST A DOZEN BETTER Imagineering ideas in draft stage, better than even the concept of this one.

And this is coming from a Jungle Cruise fan. I would have been happier if they would have added back all the special lighting they had over the streets of New Orleans Square, a few short years ago, than attempt this failed Jingle Cruise transformation.

Hasn't Disney learned from their other Christmas offerings, GO BIG, or go home.

• Banned User

I'm probably in the minority, but I really like what was done based on the YouTube videos!

I'm glad they didn't go nuts with decorations as obviously a rink-a-dink Jungle Cruise operation wouldn't have much Christmas lights in the 1930s. At least to my eyes, everything is period appropriate, and its kinda cool to imagine how such an operation might throw up some decorations to entice their customers, or perhaps for those working in "jungle" who miss home during the holidays. I think it is great they added some new jokes, certainly seasonal visitors who come mostly during the holidays will enjoy this.

I think they could have made some improvements such as:

1. Adding some period appropriate Christmas lights on the boats!

2. Adding a generator lighting effect such that the lights go in and out as a generator somewhere provides power. The lantern lights in the Jungle Cruise subtly blink in an out while the Christmas lights in the queue seem to be powered by a more modern power grid, lol. Indy's queue has a pattern generator simulating a generator on the "excavation lights", same thing should be done with the Christmas Lights on the Jungle Cruise.

3. Are the gorillas destroying base camp also throwing Christmas decorations around? I think they could have added something like this, maybe even some floating ornaments around the base camp.

I also love the Christmas decorations on Storybook, so I'm probably biased, but I bet this offering will be back in a year, maybe they can add some details each year.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-09-2013 at 09:44 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post

THEY ALL FAR SURPASS in effort and in show what Disney did for Jingle Cruise.

Jingle Cruise is just lackluster and does nothing surprising or different, than what is offered by the regular Jungle Cruise.
    Many zoos throw up a ton of Christmas lights during the holidays, that's not special per se, though Disney could certainly have done this with the Jungle Cruise. The issue, at least from my point of view, is that the Jungle is still ostensibly 1930's style jungle safari tourist operation, and to put a gigantic Santa's hat on an elephant, while being visually impressive, would kill the reality of the ride. With what WDI did, I can imagine that a hokey "Jungle Cruise" operation decided to celebrate Christmas in the Jungle.

Putting up too many Christmas lights on the Jungle Cruise dock would have killed the spirit of the Jungle Cruise, you kinda expect antique banged up Christmas lights operating on a generator that goes in and out for such an operation.

When everything is flashy LED lights and decorations, then nothing is special, IMHO. I guess I'm in the minority that the Jungle Cruise is still period appropriate, though I wish they added generator effects to the lights and that they were more antique-ish looking, though I'll take what we got.

And for Jungle Cruise Skips . . . 110% improvement! Working the Jungle Cruise at night while the rest of the park is festive kinda stinks.

• Minion

The script is totally LAME. I agree with Wiggins, the thread with the possible jokes is much more entertaining.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Many zoos throw up a ton of Christmas lights during the holidays, that's not special per se, though Disney could certainly have done this with the Jungle Cruise. The issue, at least from my point of view, is that the Jungle is still ostensibly 1930's style jungle safari tourist operation, and to put a gigantic Santa's hat on an elephant, while being visually impressive, would kill the reality of the ride. With what WDI did, I can imagine that a hokey "Jungle Cruise" operation decided to celebrate Christmas in the Jungle.

Putting up too many Christmas lights on the Jungle Cruise dock would have killed the spirit of the Jungle Cruise, you kinda expect antique banged up Christmas lights operating on a generator that goes in and out for such an operation.

When everything is flashy LED lights and decorations, then nothing is special, IMHO. I guess I'm in the minority that the Jungle Cruise is still period appropriate, though I wish they added generator effects to the lights and that they were more antique-ish looking, though I'll take what we got.

And for Jungle Cruise Skips . . . 110% improvement! Working the Jungle Cruise at night while the rest of the park is festive kinda stinks.
    Why do the overlay at all then? Why advertise it as a new attraction? I think they should have just left well enough alone. What Jungle Cruise truly needs is a huge technology and script upgrade, not some cheesy overlay.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I wish seawolf had been asked to torpedo this concept before any PA's were sent to Target for lights.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Why advertise it as a new attraction?
    I don't think Disney has spent very much money advertising this seasonal overlay. There was an article in the Disney parks blog, which is kinda free advertising as they own that website. A good number of posters on said site have asked about purchasing the special holiday Jungle Cruise poster.

More than just throwing up some lights, there is a new holiday script and holiday radio broadcast, I guess I'm in the minority when I say I can't wait to get the audio files for the new background.

Nonetheless, I don't think that Disney did any false advertising with this new offering, the vast majority of guests will stumble upon it and most likely love it.

Why do the overlay at all then?

I think they should have just left well enough alone.
    I think most guests will enjoy this added holiday cheer and new jokes. After all, the Jungle Cruise hasn't changed much since the Gnu and friends were added, and it's great for the holidays. If you miss the old Jungle Cruise, no doubt it will return in January.

What Jungle Cruise truly needs is a huge technology and script upgrade, not some cheesy overlay.
    The decorations are supposed to be cheesy, as the backstory as per the Disney blog is that the JC skips are homesick and decorated a bit. Don't see how this overlay would prevent an upgrading of the animatronics or enhanced nighttime effects.

All I know is that it looks awesome and I want the poster bad!

Name:  JCP927716SMALL-401x600.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  73.6 KB
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-10-2013 at 12:51 AM.

• Disney Dad

Description from Disney's website announcement "In this new seasonal storyline of the attraction, the Skippers have grown homesick for the holidays, so they’ve added holiday cheer to the Jungle Cruise queue and boathouse with decorations that have been mailed to them from home (plus a few they’ve created themselves). The Skippers have also added a slew of new jokes to their tours that are the perfect way to get guests in the holiday spirit. Additionally, Jungle Cruise boats have been renamed with the holidays in mind, and if guests listen carefully, they may hear a holiday-themed radio broadcast playing in the background." Doesn't sound like they over sold it to me. Just supposed to be sparse and simple. If it was extravagant it wouldn't be "mailed from home" like. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post

Yeah, seriously, HMH totally killed the spirit of the Haunted Mansion, so why the nattering about the sanctity of the JC? Maybe they just need to go over the top and do a "Santa visits the Jungle" story, and, I don't know, transform the guys on the poll to Santa and three of his elves, and replace the zebra with a big Christmas dinner that the lions have snuck in and feasted on,. etc, are just the thing to make the Jingle Cruise a can't miss attraction forever and ever, just like HMH.

• formerly very helpful

This looks like they maintained the theming/time period of the genuine attraction. I, for one, am glad not to see jingle bells and tinsel hanging from the zebras and giraffes. The jokes are all supposed to be groaners anyway, so I don't think they are an issue. While I agree it's a lot of advance talk over nothing, I think this was the only way to do a "Jingle Cruise" without it completely ruining the actual ride. Those who are not AP holders and only get Disneyland once a year or less dont have to be cheated out of a classic attraction like many of us feel we are with Haunted Mansion.

• Silent Lucidity

Quote Originally Posted by raidermouse View Post
    Description from Disney's website announcement "In this new seasonal storyline of the attraction, the Skippers have grown homesick for the holidays, so they’ve added holiday cheer to the Jungle Cruise queue and boathouse with decorations that have been mailed to them from home... Doesn't sound like they over sold it to me. Just supposed to be sparse and simple. If it was extravagant it wouldn't be "mailed from home" like. Just my opinion.
    In total agreement with you. I am expecting what Disney announced; the "Jungle Cruise" with "Holiday Homesick Skippers".

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast