View Poll Results: What do you think of the Jingle Cruise?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's a fine addition to Disneyland's Seasonal Offerings

21 60.00%
  • I don't care / have no input

7 20.00%
  • It sucks! Hmph!

7 20.00%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• I'm the Doctor

Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

I don't know what everyone is expecting...you shouldn't compare this to small world holiday or mansion...those were done by entertainment. This was done by WDI and some of the Imagineers I heard were former skippers themselves...besides it was the skippers first day and most of them are still probably getting a feel for it all

• I'm the Doctor

I don't know what everyone is expecting...you shouldn't compare this to small world holiday or mansion...those were done by entertainment. This was done by WDI and some of the Imagineers I heard were former skippers themselves...besides it was the skippers first day and most of them are still probably getting a feel for it all

And besides...it is it's first year doing it they probably got a small budget or something....if we like it enough they could do more next year

• Minion

If Disney didn't advertise this it would have gone over well, instead they promoted it as an overlay, it's not it's just a few decorations. Does Main Street get an overlay or decorated?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DocDar View Post
    I don't know what everyone is expecting...
    Words like "funny," "creative," "fresh," "clever," "funny," "original," "imaginative," "inventive" and "funny" come to mind.

Did I mention "funny?"

None of that is too much to ask, is it? After all, this is Disneyland.

Oh, wait. I forgot -- this is Disneyland.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Funny our skipper last night was very funny and told some good Christmas jokes. My group of friends and I enjoyed it a lot

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by disneyhound View Post
    In total agreement with you. I am expecting what Disney announced; the "Jungle Cruise" with "Holiday Homesick Skippers".
    I'm quoting you only because you summarized the counterpoint I'd like to convey:

Homesick skippers do not belong in Disneyland. Being homesick is the exact antithesis of what Disneyland is all about. Disneyland is about being transported from your world into a Fantasy World all your own. And to quote Walt, "Disneyland is your land." Being homesick insinuates that the outside world exists and that it is perhaps better.

As long as current management - and WDI - continue to not pay attention to, or be aware of, or choose to ignore the very basic ideas set forth by the founder Disneyland will continue to deteriorate by presenting entertainment offerings that only entertains superficially, void of the magical escapism that Disneyland once actually provided.

• Donald's #1 Fan

I have the whole spiel on video, but it's on my real camera and I need to get back home to upload it. Warnings... It's boring and It's pretty much the same. The ride itself is completely unchanged. Just one or two Christmas jokes and that's it.

Frankly I was expecting something a bit more... I don't know. Jokes about Santa being eaten by a crocodile, I guess. Shame on me. But it'd have been funnier.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

Homesick skippers do not belong in Disneyland. Being homesick is the exact antithesis of what Disneyland is all about. Disneyland is about being transported from your world into a Fantasy World all your own. And to quote Walt, "Disneyland is your land." Being homesick insinuates that the outside world exists and that it is perhaps better.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but the JC skippers have moaned about their jobs for decades, made cheesy jokes, and the DBC radio broadcast background music has always harped about the pains of living in a jungle. The idea of the Jungle Cruise is that you are a tourist, so of course, the skips who work in the Jungle Cruise day in and day out are bored in going with the idea that you spent days, or even a week to get to this remote location of the jungle with a 1930s transportation system.

If you went on Safari today in Africa, you can bet that the guides who have been working the Safari for decades might be bored.

Walt changed the Jungle Cruise after guests got bored with it, I think a little change and holiday overlay will go a long way, though the killer draw would be Christmas Lights on the boats themselves.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-10-2013 at 12:52 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Danielabella View Post
    Funny our skipper last night was very funny and told some good Christmas jokes. My group of friends and I enjoyed it a lot
    For a ride that has changed in only modest increments since opening day, and has relied on jokes to put a smile on guests faces, I think that the holiday overlay is actually a pretty significant change for the Jungle Cruise. They obviously can't string lights everywhere inside the jungle (though that would be cheap and easy to do), a la the Small World overlay, but what is there has more heart, IMHO, than just a lot of decorations.

A lot of guests, myself included, really enjoy the Storybook Land Canal boat "overlay", though it isn't advertised as such. The Jungle Cruise overlay takes it a step beyond this with Christmas jokes and a new soundtrack. I look at the overlay as a nice little addition to the park during the holidays, and I think it is these nice little details that keep guests coming back.

Anyway, Tokyo's JC will be getting a new plot (animal guide encounter) and night time version, they can do a lot to plus the Jingle Cruise overlay if they want to.

Who knows? Maybe they'll do a Jack-0-Lantern Cruise for Halloween.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Any back story that involves bored cast members will result in bored guests

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    At least they didn't make it tacky like Haunted Mansion Holiday
    What was described sounds pretty tacky to me.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• formerly very helpful

Disneyland is, and always has been a show. The cast members all play a part. In this case, their role is that of tired jungle cruise operators who are away from home, missing their families, and yes, bored with their job. Many complain that there isn't enough show at Disney, but then it seems like many are complaining with a change that maintains the integrity of the show, IMHO.
    And if you want to be technical, bored jungle cruise operators has often been a part of the show for as long as I can remember. For example: " Now there's something you don't see every day. But I do. Every single day." Or words to that effect. I've heard that on the jungle cruise since I was a kid. Or "now we return to that magical place we like to call work."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    What was described sounds pretty tacky to me.
    I meant that from an aesthetic point of view. However, I do agree that the jokes were tacky.
    Last edited by frollofan; 11-10-2013 at 10:17 AM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Well with it getting 80 mins lines...it may not get tuned up like it should

Skipper for the WFJC are reading this and LMFAO-ing to this cus. Off course leave it to MC to overhype what the Jingle Cruise was actually supposed to be. The jungle itself was never meant to be decorated with holiday decorations it's was all explained in the Disney parks blog. But what they are really asking is.... Why would you ever wait 80 minutes for Jungle Cruise... the line never peaked to 1 hour btw, I was working there yesterday!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast