View Poll Results: What do you think of the Jingle Cruise?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's a fine addition to Disneyland's Seasonal Offerings

21 60.00%
  • I don't care / have no input

7 20.00%
  • It sucks! Hmph!

7 20.00%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    So much for Disney's usual ability to go over the top with the Christmas season ride overlays.
    You can always add stuff for next year. Like maybe putting in a snow machine in a section of the ride so that it really does snow in the jungle, or perhaps adding Christmas decorations at the base camp overrun by guerrillas, or adding luminarias to the queue. Lots of ways this attraction could be plussed, but I am pleasantly surprised that they made a whole new soundtrack, put lights on the boats and gave them new names, and gave the skippers these homemade Santa Claus hats. At the very least, WDI got the ball rolling.

• Minion

I think the decorations in the queue are good enough. However, there were hardly any holiday themed jokes in the actual ride that I felt were new, creative, and/or funny.

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I may have missed something (maybe I'm missing some Jingle Cruise television commercials or magazine ads), but what is this big promotion that Disney did for the Jingle Cruise? There is an attraction poster, which probably 95% of guests don't even notice, and a little update on the Disney blog. Just asking, because it seems like Disney hasn't spent anything to promote this overlay!
    I guess I worded it a little hastily. What I meant was that those who DID know about it with the promotions that WERE put out there obviously seemed to make it seem like a big, new overlay. So yes, the bloggers, MiceChatters, and Disney geeks who browse everything everyday were probably disappointed because of the hype that Disney did build up for it, even if it wasn't at the level of something like HMH or IASWH.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I may have missed something (maybe I'm missing some Jingle Cruise television commercials or magazine ads), but what is this big promotion that Disney did for the Jingle Cruise? There is an attraction poster, which probably 95% of guests don't even notice, and a little update on the Disney blog. Just asking, because it seems like Disney hasn't spent anything to promote this overlay!
    Whether it was promoted or not is no excuse for it being boring and unfunny. Again, the issue isn't the customers' "expectations," it's the boring, un-funny job that Disney did on the overlay.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Maybe if there were a couple of carolers on board each boat and a few actors posing as natives trying to shoot at them with spears.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandMaster View Post
    I guess I worded it a little hastily. What I meant was that those who DID know about it with the promotions that WERE put out there obviously seemed to make it seem like a big, new overlay. So yes, the bloggers, MiceChatters, and Disney geeks who browse everything everyday were probably disappointed because of the hype that Disney did build up for it, even if it wasn't at the level of something like HMH or IASWH.
    Sorry if it sounded like I was criticizing, I just figured that maybe there were t.v. commercials or ads? The only official "promotion" from Disney I could find was that blurb on the official Disney blog. Maybe the online community took this pseudo-announcement (hey, they put everything on the official Disney blogs), and kinda ran with it or something.

I haven't seen any Jingle Cruise ads on t.v., though I wouldn't be offended if they added some scenes of the Jingle Cruise along with Christmas in Carsland and such.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-11-2013 at 11:07 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Whether it was promoted or not is no excuse for it being boring and unfunny. Again, the issue isn't the customers' "expectations," it's the boring, un-funny job that Disney did on the overlay.
    I've just seen the YouTube videos, but it seems like a nice little offering and the spiels sounds cute to me, so people obviously have different opinions. Jungle Cruise humor has always been kind of cheesy for lack of a better word, in a good sarcastic kind of way.

For a classic attraction that has changed little, I think the WDI did a great job of keeping the heart of the attraction experience, while adding these great little plusses. For families who've never been on the Jungle Cruise, or little kids who don't aren't familiar with the attraction, they're going to love all of this, Christmas decorations and all.

I don't think they'd do a lot to the jungle- it's the jungle! So jokes and decor on the boats is just what I'd expect. And the homesick thing, sure. The skipper characters *are* away from home (though the CMs are essentially home so would have no reason for homesickness).

And homemade decor, yes! They wouldn't have a K-Mart nearby.

I'm hoping I get to see this.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I think promoting it as a different version was a mistake. It's not a significant change. It's not much of a change at all. It's just some holiday quips shoehorned into what is basically the same ride, minus the now long-absent tiger. Just putting up the Christmas decorations would have been enough. Jingle Cruise is also a really stupid name.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    I think promoting it as a different version was a mistake. It's not a significant change. It's not much of a change at all. It's just some holiday quips shoehorned into what is basically the same ride, minus the now long-absent tiger. Just putting up the Christmas decorations would have been enough. Jingle Cruise is also a really stupid name.
    I don't think Disney made a mistake promoting it unless there is some radio/television commercial I don't know about. The blurb on the Disney blog is pretty accurate as to what was done:

In this new seasonal storyline of the attraction, the Skippers have grown homesick for the holidays, so they’ve added holiday cheer to the Jungle Cruise queue and boathouse with decorations that have been mailed to them from home (plus a few they’ve created themselves). The Skippers have also added a slew of new jokes to their tours that are the perfect way to get guests in the holiday spirit. Additionally, Jungle Cruise boats have been renamed with the holidays in mind, and if guests listen carefully, they may hear a holiday-themed radio broadcast playing in the background.

There doesn't appear to have been a marketing budget/promotional campaign at all. (Though maybe I'm wrong and somebody can put a link to this advertising people keep talking about, I sure can't find it online.)

Adding a little behind-the-scenes info about a "new seasonal storyline" at the Jungle Cruise isn't a marketing campaign, especially since Disney can post said announcements basically for free on their website!

Orlando Disney fans lost their Country Bear Jamboree Overlay years ago, and the vast majority of them seem to be happy to get a new overlay, maybe there are so many seasonal overlays in Disneyland that folks were expecting a gigantic snowman or something.

Given that you can spend much of your time on the Jungle Cruise in line, the seasonal stuff will make the wait 200% better during the holidays, IMHO, always thought that the Jungle Cruise was kinda desolate and very un-festive during the holidays, as if the folks working the JC didn't know what time of year it was.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-11-2013 at 01:52 PM.

I haven't been on Jingle Cruise yet, just seen pics and a POV video. It's about what I expected, minor changes to the queue and boats, in keeping with a backstory that's consistent with theme. I didn't think the new holiday jokes were that great, but remember - the "regular" cruise has had 50 years to create and hone the jokes, Jingle Cruise has only had a short time. If this becomes a regular seasonal change, I'd expect the jokes to improve. Overall, I'd say it's a minor plus.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Minor doesn't mean uncreative, unfunny and boring. This is Disneyland -- small touches should have the same creativity, ingenuity and charm as larger projects. Disney used to put creativity into the custom decorations of the park's trash cans! Now they can't even do a decent job on "Jingle Cruise?"

No way can this be blamed on "unrealistically high expectations" of the customers. This is purely a case of Disney dropping the ball and bungling the opportunity to make the Jingle Cruise fun and funny.
    Exactly, and remember back to the additions to the Jungle Cruise, a the beginning of DL's 50th Birthday celebrations, those were some nice changes to the cruise, and gave the attraction a needed boost. Certainly, they still have some left over imagineering ideas that they could have placed in the Jingle Cruise, of that caliber.

When Disney promises something new, they better be prepared to deliver. Half baked ideas are not welcome in Walt's original Magic Kingdom.

Personally, I think it would have been fun to temporary add a holiday scene with a polar bear, seals and a few penguins. Even Marc Davis had dreamed up a idea for an Enchanted Snow Palace, and I bet some of that would translate to a fun "winter" scene, that "Santa gave as a winter gift to the Jungle Cruise Skippers", so even they could have a White Christmas!

Sadly, Disneyland Management did NOT dream big enough for this transformation, and their small idea turned lackluster and lame.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 11-11-2013 at 03:49 PM.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Estoplover View Post
    Why would you ever wait 80 minutes for Jungle Cruise... the line never peaked to 1 hour btw, I was working there yesterday!
    Saturday, 3.00 PM, sign outside the attraction said 80 minutes wait time. I thought to myself... this is the first day of the attraction (Thursday I was on the real Jungle Cruise), I can wait.

I don't know whether it was 40, 60 or 80 minutes. It was 40, 60 or 80 minutes far too long for the attraction, anyway.

The Skippers have also added a slew of new jokes to their tours that are the perfect way to get guests in the holiday spirit
    I have to agree. There were new jokes.

They weren't great. Or good. Or funny. But new... yep. I'll have to agree.
    Last edited by fjhuerta; 11-11-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Word has it that the East Coast Skippers are finally settling into the new spiel and the results are starting to show. As always, the success of a voyage on the JC has always relied on the Skipper, and from reports, some of the MK Skippers are doing a fantastic job selling the new jokes. I'll get to judge it for myself next week. The MK JC just came out of rehab, and everything is working (effects that I completely forgot about completely surprised me when I rode three weeks ago), so a few new jokes and some subtle holiday cheer will hopefully, spice it up just a bit more.
    WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
    Jan'08,Feb'08,Sept'09,Feb'10,Apr'10,Sept'10,Jan'11 ,Apr'11,May'11,Sept'11,Dec'11,Mar'12,May'12,Sept/Oct'12,Nov'12
    DL-
    '79,'81,'84,'91,'05,'07,'10

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post

Personally, I think it would have been fun to temporary add a holiday scene with a polar bear, seals and a few penguins. Even Marc Davis had dreamed up a idea for an Enchanted Snow Palace, and I bet some of that would translate to a fun "winter" scene, that "Santa gave as a winter gift to the Jungle Cruise Skippers", so even they could have a White Christmas!
    That would have been a new eye-popping scene!

But it would kinda make an Adventureland ride a Fantasyland style ride where magical things can happen (I guess in the queue there would be an explanation as to why Santa made it snow and moved in some arctic animals). Coke might sponsor some animatronic polar bears as they've been in their commercials, but when I think Christmas I don't usually think seals and penguins, mostly I think Sea World and bad smells.

It's not a horrible idea at all. A big issue is that the Jungle Cruise has a lot of foliage that is meticulously maintained, I can't see them cutting any of that down for an arctic overlay. That leaves the lions eating the zebra scene, there are trees behind it, but they could put up a white tarp with an arctic scene painted on it, but it's still just a small piece of the ride, and it wouldn't match well with the rest of the cruise. I think the only way to "explain" it would be that a an iceberg broke off and floated down to the jungle.

So . . . an iceberg broke off and maybe it so happens to have Santa's house/sleigh and some animatronic reindeers? Or maybe Santa's sleigh crash lands in the jungle? Could be pretty cool, and you could add some Marc Davis gags like a polar bear on the iceberg staring down a lion, or a "lost" Rudolph the red nose reindeer who wanders off into the jungle while an animatronic Santa bemoans building his house on what would become an iceberg. Maybe the first ever iceberg/global warming joke for the Jungle Cruise!

A Christmas overlay for the Jungle Cruise is a challenging project as it needs to be consistent with the storyline/world of the ride, the pallet of possible additions are restricted, to a great extent, if you decide to maintain the "reality" of the 1930's jungle cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Sadly, Disneyland Management did NOT dream big enough for this transformation, and their small idea turned lackluster and lame.
    Guests still love the Christmas overlay they do for Storybook Land Canal boats, and I don't think they have a special script on Storybook, just some cheap miniature bows and decorations. I think that the Jingle Cruise goes a step further, when compared to Storybook, with a new soundtrack, spiel, decorations and new names for the boats.

Not everything can, or perhaps should, have a huge budget to have an emotional impact for the guests. Sure the outside of Small World is dazzling with all the the lights, but that's all it is, just a ton of lights professionally hung, there was more artistry, and heart, involved in adding details for the Jingle Cruise, though it is less flashy, IMHO.

Sure, everybody loves the Christmas Lights all around DLR, but riding on the "Eggnog Annie" while a skipper wears a homemade Santa Claus hat and tells purposely lame Christmas jokes after seeing some jungle-homemade/retro-Christmas decorations in the queue is my idea of a cool and memorable time. Not a big fan of endless fireworks shows, but love the little details like these.

Wondering if they're going to sell the homemade Jingle Cruise skipper Santa Claus hats.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-11-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast