View Poll Results: What do you think of the Jingle Cruise?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's a fine addition to Disneyland's Seasonal Offerings

21 60.00%
  • I don't care / have no input

7 20.00%
  • It sucks! Hmph!

7 20.00%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

I have mixed emotions on this. I have longtime friends who've suggested this for years. I have friends who helped bring it to fruition. And I have friends who are currently there making the "magic" happen.

My "immediate knee jerk reaction" is sheer gratefulness that everything wasn't Youtube'd when I was a Skipper. People want great jokes. They want an amazing Skipper. They want someone to "make the trip" etc. Then it goes on Youtube and the Skip gets in trouble... I know people mean well but all it takes is a video, or an audio file, and then there's trouble. I've known a lot of amazing Skips who were term'd because of Youtube and the audio files before that. It used to be the only thing you had to worry about was the occasional vacation video, but now everything has a video camera on it. Now everyone wants to post something the moment it happens instead of enjoying it. Different world I guess. I digress...

I haven't been on this site in forever. I was HOPING to find the official holiday jokes if anyone posted them. TRUST ME there's plenty of non-official jokes that have been making the rounds for years.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Donald's #1 Fan

Does it suck? Does it rock? You be the judge. This was my JC experience.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I'd say both, It sucks rocks.

The Christmas overlay just doesn't add anything to the regular Jungle Cruise experience, and THAT is precisely what is wrong with this failed attempt.

• failure for lunch

If Disney put polar bears and penguins in the Jungle Cruise for any overlay, I would never forgive them.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by manifest View Post
    If Disney put polar bears and penguins in the Jungle Cruise for any overlay, I would never forgive them.
    Haha. If they took them out on spring I'd love them. I was actually expecting the elephant to have a little santa hat.

• Minion

the only animal I would be okay with wearing a santa hat is the gorilla trying on the hat in the tent

• The doctor is in

I watched a video of this on YouTube and I wouldn't say my opinion changed. Some of the jokes were funny and all, but I just don't see the necessity for this overlay.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Done with MC.

Being JC Skipper has to be one of the toughest jobs at DLR. You have to be "on" the whole time, even near the end of your shift when your tired and beat. Or maybe they just don't feel UP every day - they're human and have all the personal baggage anyone else does.
    It also has to be tough to successfully deliver the same lines day after day with the same conviction.
    My hat is off to them.

The only part of the Jingle cruise that sucks is the over promotion.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    The Christmas overlay just doesn't add anything to the regular Jungle Cruise experience, and THAT is precisely what is wrong with this failed attempt.
    Why is there a "need" to add to the experience. Everyone's been homesick from time to time. Why can't holiday lights and the feelings of being homesick just be "it"? Sure there's corny holiday jokes but there's corny jokes year round. When you think about it... what separates a Christmas tree from a regular tree? they're both a tree but one has decorations.

Quote Originally Posted by manifest View Post
    PLEASE tell me you chose those specific animals "penguins and polar bears" due to a well used but highly unofficial joke... bonus points if this was more than just an expression of a love of Coca Cola!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Being JC Skipper has to be one of the toughest jobs at DLR. You have to be "on" the whole time, even near the end of your shift when your tired and beat. Or maybe they just don't feel UP every day - they're human and have all the personal baggage anyone else does.
    It also has to be tough to successfully deliver the same lines day after day with the same conviction.
    My hat is off to them.
    This is going to slide right into a whole different side conversation BUT... why would anyone repeat themselves over and over 8hrs a day, 5 days a week? No one is "always on" and if they can't develop a sullen sarcastic character for when they're "off" then I question why they're on that dock.

The only sympathy coming from this camp (me) is the fact that technology has ruined Jungle. 7 years ago we'd give you a jaw dropping tour. Now... that tour would be video'd on 30 iphones, posted to Youtube and Facebook and Google+ and Twitter and every other corner of cyberspace. If even 1 person tags Disney that Skipper is busted! Assuming against all odds the original 30 don't hashtag... how soon until it spreads to places like here and someone adds the tag or taps a Disney CM on the shoulder? Everyone wants this amazing standup comic. Everyone wants the "off the script" cruise. While it may have happened before... with technology... it likely won't happen now. It used to be the most terrifying thought was someone leaving a compliment with the banned jokes on it; now they just play it back on their phone and you're toast. If that tone sounds bitter it is. I know people mean well but videoing the Jungle and then posting it is what gets the whole boat the "by the book" spiels that everyone hates. To you it's a few laughs. To them it's crossing a line that could get them term'd.

So that's my sympathy for them. The fact that others screwed them out of the chance to go off script and actually be Skippers.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post

The only part of the Jingle cruise that sucks is the over promotion.
    There was just a post on the Disney blogs, and I found one article where somebody at Disney mentions the Jingle Cruise, along with the five new Christmas offerings:

1. World of Color Christmas Show
    2. Viva Navidad
    3. Frozen meet and greet
    4. Ice Rink/Christmas Village
    5. Jingle Cruise

Disneyland amps up Christmas with Jingle Cruises, ‘Winter Dreams’ | Hero Complex – movies, comics, pop culture – Los Angeles Times

Otherwise, I think that Disney fairly reported what was going to be in the Jingle Cruise, and that maybe some fan sites hyped up the expectations. For 97% of casual tourists, and probably 70% or more of pass holders, probably nobody even knew about the existence of the Jingle Cruise beforehand, yes?

I know some pass holders going during Christmas, and they don't have any idea about any new holiday offerings.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Why is there a "need" to add to the experience. Everyone's been homesick from time to time. Why can't holiday lights and the feelings of being homesick just be "it"? Sure there's corny holiday jokes but there's corny jokes year round. When you think about it... what separates a Christmas tree from a regular tree? they're both a tree but one has decorations.
    Works for me, and I'm glad that the original feel of the Jungle Cruise was kept intact, there are just something WDI couldn't have done and kept the original feel of the ride:

1. They can't put Christmas lights everywhere, maybe the boat house/boats have some limited electrical power in the JC world of the 1930s, but that's it.
    2. They can't put Santa hats on all animals, this isn't Small World.
    3. They can't constantly make Christmas jokes as you still have to feel like you're having an adventure in the jungle.
    4. I don't even think they can even decorate Trader Sam as he isn't one of the homesick JC skippers.

There are reasons why certain rides are thought of first for a Christmas overlay, and why others are not.

Would it make sense to sink Christmas Trees into Nemo's lagoon? Not really.

Would it make sense to replace the horse-drawn carriages with sleighs driven by elves? Not really.

Miceage did an April Fool's joke about Pirates of the Christmas Caribbean! Obviously, you couldn't put Santa hats on the pirates, it would destroy the reality of the ride.

I think that the Jungle Cruise overlay is fantastic because it is a novelty, some new jokes, but it doesn't destroy the reality of the ride. It is a pain moving the animatronics in the JC when they need to be serviced, they can't have something like the HM, from a logistics stand-point, where they take out the animals, put in elves/polar bears and call the ride something else for the holidays. The ride would be closed for a month to move all the animals and afterwards, if they had a crew with the technical expertise and heavy lifting equipment, budget more than the HMH, and a plausible explanation for why there are Christmas scenes. You also can't just uproot plants, they take time to cultivate.

If the guests are still in the "jungle" then you have to play by certain, rules IMHO.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

You ask "Why is there a "need" to add to the experience, . . . ." Because, it is such a minimal addition, it equates to a wasted effort. If some new addition to an attraction doesn't bring anything to the table, it should have been kept off the table. And the Jungle Cruise is such a huge attraction, the attempt at this kind of a makeover needed to be bigger and better!

As for your comment about "what separates a Christmas tree from a regular tree? You say the only distinction is one has decorations. BUT, even Charlie Brown got laughed at for placing just one red ornament on a tree that couldn't stand the weight of the ornament. In the case of the Jungle Cruise, it's equivalent to placing one small red ornament on a 10 foot tree. Would you call THAT a Christmas Tree? Its not really a Christmas tree without lots of decorations. AND the Jungle Cruise a pretty big Christmas Tree to Decorate. It DEFINITELY NEEDS A LOT MORE decorations, tinsel and garland, before IT could be considered a Christmas Tree.

PLEASE tell me you chose those specific animals "penguins and polar bears" due to a well used but highly unofficial joke... bonus points if this was more than just an expression of a love of Coca Cola!

Well, it was probably in reference to a blue sky idea I tossed out there in a previous post in this topic. But moving further with the Polar Bear and Penguin idea, that Mary Poppins Cafe on Main Street already has Penguins, Coca Cola might as well add their Polar Bear to Coke Corner

This is going to slide right into a whole different side conversation BUT... why would anyone repeat themselves over and over 8hrs a day, 5 days a week? No one is "always on" and if they can't develop a sullen sarcastic character for when they're "off" then I question why they're on that dock.

The only sympathy coming from this camp (me) is the fact that technology has ruined Jungle. 7 years ago we'd give you a jaw dropping tour. Now... that tour would be video'd on 30 iphones, posted to Youtube and Facebook and Google+ and Twitter and every other corner of cyberspace. If even 1 person tags Disney that Skipper is busted! Assuming against all odds the original 30 don't hashtag... how soon until it spreads to places like here and someone adds the tag or taps a Disney CM on the shoulder? Everyone wants this amazing standup comic. Everyone wants the "off the script" cruise. While it may have happened before... with technology... it likely won't happen now. It used to be the most terrifying thought was someone leaving a compliment with the banned jokes on it; now they just play it back on their phone and you're toast. If that tone sounds bitter it is. I know people mean well but videoing the Jungle and then posting it is what gets the whole boat the "by the book" spiels that everyone hates. To you it's a few laughs. To them it's crossing a line that could get them term'd.

So that's my sympathy for them. The fact that others screwed them out of the chance to go off script and actually be Skippers.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 11-17-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Doesn't deliver the advertised Santa hat-wearing animals.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    You ask "Why is there a "need" to add to the experience, . . . ." Because, it is such a minimal addition, it equates to a wasted effort. If some new addition to an attraction doesn't bring anything to the table, it should have been kept off the table. And the Jungle Cruise is such a huge attraction, the attempt at this kind of a makeover needed to be bigger and better!
    If Disneyland is about the small little details, like painting the railings and fixing the broken lights, then a whole new Christmas script/some decorations on the Jungle Cruise is a little incremental improvement that will most likely improve the experience for the vast majority of guests visiting Disneyland, IMHO. Fans, me included, get bent out of shape when they slack on tiny details like trash cans, so an addition such as this is a positive.

No, Jingle Cruise wasn't a quantum leap in terms of the ostentatious holiday overlays, but it has its place, some folks who decorate for Christmas put out a *ton* of lights, others just string up an old chain and decorate a tree. Two different styles, same sentiment.

Some passholders/fans who know about the Jingle Cruise might have been underwhelmed, some people loved it, especially if it was stumbled upon. As this overlay was pretty cheap, and as it does resonate with some guests, I think we'll see it again, and it will become just one of many small Christmas traditions such as Christmas decorations on Storybook, yes?

In terms of polar bears/penguins, some people might like that, and a lot of people, I guess you could call them purists/traditionalists, wouldn't like it and even some casual guests might think, "what?!? polar bears don't live in the jungle . . ." It's just the reality of designing attractions that each attraction has its own logic, and every guests/imagineer has their own impression of that reality and what the unwritten rules are. Personally, I kinda cringed with "Ghost Galaxy" as it was Halloween invading a Tomorrowland attraction, but it is popular.

In some ways, the Jungle Cruise depends to a great extent on its reality being a script driven ride and the JC skipper has to seamless fit into that reality for the jokes to work, though the fourth wall is broken quite a bit, the "straight man" is the ostensibly real jungle scenes that the Skipper plays off of, even with sarcastic humor, there is a realism to the Skipper's script/jokes.

Look at Carsland, WDI worked very hard to make the decorations fit into the reality of Radiator Springs. Same thing with the Jingle Cruise, though I think they should have used even more obviously antique lights and hooked them up to that generator that seems to kick in and out.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    If Disneyland is about the small little details, like painting the railings and fixing the broken lights, then a whole new Christmas script/some decorations on the Jungle Cruise is a little incremental improvement that will most likely improve the experience for the vast majority of guests visiting Disneyland, IMHO. Fans, me included, get bent out of shape when they slack on tiny details like trash cans, so an addition such as this is a positive.

No, Jingle Cruise wasn't a quantum leap in terms of the ostentatious holiday overlays, but it has its place, some folks who decorate for Christmas put out a *ton* of lights, others just string up an old chain and decorate a tree. Two different styles, same sentiment.

Some passholders/fans who know about the Jingle Cruise might have been underwhelmed, some people loved it, especially if it was stumbled upon. As this overlay was pretty cheap, and as it does resonate with some guests, I think we'll see it again, and it will become just one of many small Christmas traditions such as Christmas decorations on Storybook, yes?

In terms of polar bears/penguins, some people might like that, and a lot of people, I guess you could call them purists/traditionalists, wouldn't like it and even some casual guests might think, "what?!? polar bears don't live in the jungle . . ." It's just the reality of designing attractions that each attraction has its own logic, and every guests/imagineer has their own impression of that reality and what the unwritten rules are. Personally, I kinda cringed with "Ghost Galaxy" as it was Halloween invading a Tomorrowland attraction, but it is popular.

In some ways, the Jungle Cruise depends to a great extent on its reality being a script driven ride and the JC skipper has to seamless fit into that reality for the jokes to work, though the fourth wall is broken quite a bit, the "straight man" is the ostensibly real jungle scenes that the Skipper plays off of, even with sarcastic humor, there is a realism to the Skipper's script/jokes.
    I am only expressing my opinion, just saying DL didn't do enough. Don't throw this in the category of "being bent out of shape" That is not appreciated.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast