View Poll Results: What do you think of the Jingle Cruise?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's a fine addition to Disneyland's Seasonal Offerings

21 60.00%
  • I don't care / have no input

7 20.00%
  • It sucks! Hmph!

7 20.00%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    Doesn't deliver the advertised Santa hat-wearing animals.
    And on Space Mountain you don't fly outside the mountain inside of a space suit,

Space Mountain Attraction Poster | Greg Maletic

Just saying that sometimes attraction posters aren't literally correct, they made a decision to come up with a hopefully eye catching poster which relays the idea of a Christmas overlay. Yeah, kind bugged me that the poster shows lights on the boat in a way that didn't happen, but they weren't ever going to put a gigantic Christmas hat on the elephants to begin with, that would just kinda kill the illusion that they're real, (which for little kids is a very effective illusion).

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    Doesn't deliver the advertised Santa hat-wearing animals.
    Thank God!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I am only expressing my opinion, just saying DL didn't do enough. Don't throw this in the category of "being bent out of shape" That is not appreciated.
    I wasn't saying that at all! I guess I'm in the category of fans who enjoy anything new and that the Jingle Cruise looks pretty cool, I dunno, I really enjoy what they did do as I love the JC, so for me it sure wasn't a wasted effort. I like the small details:

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    If Disneyland is about the small little details, like painting the railings and fixing the broken lights, then a whole new Christmas script/some decorations on the Jungle Cruise is a little incremental improvement that will most likely improve the experience for the vast majority of guests visiting Disneyland, IMHO. Fans, me included, get bent out of shape when they slack on tiny details like trash cans, so an addition such as this is a positive.
    ^For clarification, I kinda look obsessively at the small details in the park, and for me, the small changes that they made to the Jungle Cruise are big considering the history of the ride, not talking about anyone else, just my personal take on the park. YMMV.

But, I'm also disappointed too, I was imaging something . . . more. I don't 100% like the Christmas lights as they look too modern, though they superficially look like they are 1930's appropriate, . . . just that when I think about it, it is hard to come up with an idea which would have made it a must-see super-impressive overlay, and which was logically consistent with the Jungle Cruise.

Irregardless of how much money was spent.

Also, there is the problem of the JC's hourly capacity, do something too amazing and not enough guests will be able to see it. It's not a coincidence that HM/Small world have high hourly capacity and get a lot of the holiday pixie dust!

A Small World overlay is easy, the whole ride is decorations to begin with, and twinkle lights, right? So you add more decorations.

Doing an impressive Jungle Cruise overlay is hard given the constraints of the ride. It's like doing a BMTRR Christmas overlay when Christmas Lights weren't invented yet and you're supposed to be exploring an abandoned mine train, can't have a blue LED snowman on a ledge or something.

Not saying there isn't rule bending. NOS gets LED Christmas Lights, though NOS is technically supposed to be an earlier time frame. WDI freaked out when one restaurant in NOS started using Led Christmas Lights to "advertise" during a non-holiday time of the year and wasn't part of a holiday overlay, so, yeah, each land/attraction does have certain rules.

I kinda think about holiday overlays a lot . . .
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-17-2013 at 08:11 PM.

• Banned User

It would be visually interesting to see a polar bear in the Jungle Cruise (I guess it would have to be on an iceberg w/snow to point out that it is a polar bear?), you'd get a visual juxtaposition for sure, and the whole "somethings gone terribly wrong". You have to figure out how to explain it in the Jungle Cruise universe. Some possibilities:

1. Breakaway iceberg?
    2. JC crew adopts a polar bear that fell off a cargo ship going to a zoo?
    3. Cargoship "crashes" into the jungle's banks, polar bears/penguins escape, maybe some reindeer?
    4. Breakaway iceberg with a cargo ship on it, hence maybe some Christmas decorations on the ship?, and polar bears/penguins?

Then you'd have to some how explain how it relates to Christmas, though with the Coke commercials, I guess people do equate polar bears and Christmas! I guess "North Pole" jokes!

It wouldn't be that hard to install a snow machine in part of the jungle cruise, though it would probably kill of a lot of plants . . . Jungle Cruise is probably one of the few places where you could have real snowflakes in DLR as the boats have awnings on them, and guests are seated in the boats, so smaller chance of slippage.

Name:  Coke-polar-bears-back-in-Super-Bowl-ad-RPT6MAC-x-large.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  30.6 KB

Heck, Coke could sponsor it . . . put old-fashion glass Coke bottles in the water near cargo ship that got lost in the Jungle!

So, a cargo ship from the arctic crashes in the jungle cruise, there is ice/cold air coming from it, and polar bears/penguins and crates of Coke bottles floating around. Could work.

I could see a special DBC "broadcast"

All skippers be on the look out for . . . icebergs? That can't be right! Wait a minute, an iceberg that broke off from the arctic has been spotted down the nile river. Escaped polar bears, very dangerous. Looks like our skippers will be getting a white Christmas in the jungle after all!

They could even have a wooden crate of Christmas decorations on the cargo ship that the polar bears have ripped open and are fighting over or something, I'm thinking about a lot of jokes regarding a tree trimming party or something.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-17-2013 at 09:02 PM.

• "I Break Things"

Aladdin... manifest has been around long enough and knows the jokes well enough that the choice of animals may actually refer to something else that you didn't realize. That's why I called it out as a question. It has nothing whatsoever to do with advertising or with current park decorations...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cheshirecat: Creative, but too commercial and anything involving polar bears will become political

• Donald's #1 Fan

You know, maybe the problem is - the Jungle Cruise is far too old now - not in a sense of "heresy, the ride is a classic!" (because it is) - but in the sense that it needs some TLC, new technology, something. The ride is stale. It's the same old thing, over and over again.

I can't make up my mind whether it's good or bad. I love the old Disneyland and I wish it never, ever goes away. But JC needs something new, quick.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    You know, maybe the problem is - the Jungle Cruise is far too old now - not in a sense of "heresy, the ride is a classic!" (because it is) - but in the sense that it needs some TLC, new technology, something. The ride is stale. It's the same old thing, over and over again.

I can't make up my mind whether it's good or bad. I love the old Disneyland and I wish it never, ever goes away. But JC needs something new, quick.
    Disney's capacity to create lifelike animatronics vastly exceed what is on display on the Jungle Cruise. But the 55 years of tropical vegetation have created a genuine, if man-made jungle, that should not be removed. If anything plus the plant life with more flowering orchids and make it a bit of a botanical tour as well as a safari boat adventure.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    And on Space Mountain you don't fly outside the mountain inside of a space suit,

Space Mountain Attraction Poster | Greg Maletic

Just saying that sometimes attraction posters aren't literally correct, they made a decision to come up with a hopefully eye catching poster which relays the idea of a Christmas overlay. Yeah, kind bugged me that the poster shows lights on the boat in a way that didn't happen, but they weren't ever going to put a gigantic Christmas hat on the elephants to begin with, that would just kinda kill the illusion that they're real, (which for little kids is a very effective illusion).
    That attraction poster isn't official, it's just something he made for fun.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Sock Puppet

They could add video projections in certain areas at night. Maybe add some element of voodoo magic or something to the tribal scenes.

They could also update some of the static animals with actual animatronics.

Ultimately though it's probably better to spend that money elsewhere in the park.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MouseintheMoon View Post
    They could add video projections in certain areas at night. Maybe add some element of voodoo magic or something to the tribal scenes.

They could also update some of the static animals with actual animatronics.

Ultimately though it's probably better to spend that money elsewhere in the park.
    I guess so. A killer skipper can make the best out of the jungle cruise, but nothing can help Innoventions, or the unused PeopleMover track, or the 3D Eye theater...

• Banned User

The limited motion animatronics could be vastly upgraded, and of course there is the Jungle Cruise movie which may provide fodder for jokes. Tokyo is getting a new theme:

A New Version of Jungle Cruise to Debut at Tokyo Disneyland in 2014 « Disney Parks Blog

If they wanted to make a big change, they could design a new ride system with enhanced effects, like the next gen boat ride they've developed for Shanghai, though it would be expensive (and might not work in the JC's unfiltered water as well), not sure if it would have a height limit.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Aladdin... manifest has been around long enough and knows the jokes well enough that the choice of animals may actually refer to something else that you didn't realize. That's why I called it out as a question. It has nothing whatsoever to do with advertising or with current park decorations...
    Tech Skip, one of these days, you HAVE TO reveal all these "mysterious jokes".

Hey, (and I'm being 100% serious) maybe you should write a book, just based on your Jungle Cruise experiences and connections, with several different topics including the Best Jungle Cruise Skippers, and the way they delivered their lines, and the BEST of all Jungle Cruise Jokes including the approved and ALL the unapproved Jokes and themes! All the behind the scene stories. Oh, there must be SO MANY more topics under the Jungle Cruise, that would each be able have a chapter of their own.

BUT until those infamous jokes are revealed, I have no choice but to consider you the biggest Jungle Cruise Tease - I do appreciate your insight on the Jungle Cruise, but, yeah, you are a tease!!!!!

• Minion

I agree with chesirecat's positive sentiments. It's kind of funny, people criticize Disney for being stale, yet when they try to update something it gets a ton of flack. Even more amusing is the fact that there are so many complaints about the minimal Christmas decorations, yet I'm sure the same people would be the first to jump out guns blazing if Disney had added more decorations and violated theme.

It is what it is--a small holiday overlay. It's a fresh update of material that's been around for about 50 years. Disney wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel here. In a way, what they did was genius in that they could offer a unique holiday experience without compromising the integrity of the original ride (HMH, GG...). Going any farther than they did would violate the theme and I know that that would be even more criticized.

The Jungle Cruise was also the perfect ride to do this because it has always been aware of itself in a neat meta sort of way. Disney's not trying to sell you a journey into the jungle on the Jungle Cruise, it's trying to sell you a guided tour by bored and offbeat tour guides--it's perfectly reasonable to think the characters of this "story" would throw up some shoddy Christmas decorations to get into the holiday spirit.

Really, it's not Disney's fault for not creating new scenes and having Santa's reindeer fly the boat around Anaheim...it's our faults for setting our expectations so high on what has been billed as nothing more than a minimal holiday overlay. I mean, is this seriously worse than nothing? Or is a fresh dose of Christmas jokes and some decor in the line really that bad? I think the criticisms have been blown far out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I agree with chesirecat's positive sentiments. It's kind of funny, people criticize Disney for being stale, yet when they try to update something it gets a ton of flack. Even more amusing is the fact that there are so many complaints about the minimal Christmas decorations, yet I'm sure the same people would be the first to jump out guns blazing if Disney had added more decorations and violated theme.

It is what it is--a small holiday overlay. It's a fresh update of material that's been around for about 50 years. Disney wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel here. In a way, what they did was genius in that they could offer a unique holiday experience without compromising the integrity of the original ride (HMH, GG...). Going any farther than they did would violate the theme and I know that that would be even more criticized.

The Jungle Cruise was also the perfect ride to do this because it has always been aware of itself in a neat meta sort of way. Disney's not trying to sell you a journey into the jungle on the Jungle Cruise, it's trying to sell you a guided tour by bored and offbeat tour guides--it's perfectly reasonable to think the characters of this "story" would throw up some shoddy Christmas decorations to get into the holiday spirit.

Really, it's not Disney's fault for not creating new scenes and having Santa's reindeer fly the boat around Anaheim...it's our faults for setting our expectations so high on what has been billed as nothing more than a minimal holiday overlay. I mean, is this seriously worse than nothing? Or is a fresh dose of Christmas jokes and some decor in the line really that bad? I think the criticisms have been blown far out of proportion.
    Nicely put and I wholly agree.

If Disney doesn't do anything, people will complain. If Disney tries to appease the crowd, people will complain. Too much Christmas, not enough Christmas, never should have been Christmas...It's a never ending cycle of not liking what has been/hasn't been done.

Personally, I found the Jingle Cruise to be rather nice. I didn't expect much from it really aside from being a Christmas overlay, and what I got was a cute nice edition. The idea doesn't stray too far from the original rides and isn't a full blown overhaul like The Haunted Mansion or It's a Small World.

I believe hype is one of Disney's greatest weaknesses towards their products. Remember when the Fantasy Faire was being constructed and they showed off a little bit of the Figaro animatronic up on a window seal in their concept art, and people were very excited to see the figure in real life. When they finally saw the figure, it didn't match up to the hype that was built around it. Then a few years later comes the Frozen Meet & Greet with the Olaf animatronic figure on top of the roof of the Meet & Greet place. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there little to no word about the animatronic figure being implemented there? And suddenly some people came up and proclaimed the animatronic figure to be even better than the Figaro one (While personally I don't see a difference).

TL;DR - Maybe we hyped up our anticipation for the ride's end results a little too much. We were expecting more than what we got.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast