View Poll Results: What do you think of the Jingle Cruise?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's a fine addition to Disneyland's Seasonal Offerings

21 60.00%
  • I don't care / have no input

7 20.00%
  • It sucks! Hmph!

7 20.00%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Re: Jingle Cruise sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I have no choice but to consider you the biggest Jungle Cruise Tease
    Aladdin. I attempted to PM you prior to my last post but was unable to do so. I wanted to give manifest time to answer. At this point I will go with the "honor" system. If he chose polar bears and penguins for a specific reason I will highlight said reason in the spoiler. If he didn't, he didn't. It is on him to be honest. I just found the choice of animals "amusing".

Spoiler
    There is a specific joke in regards to the African Bulls.

The Skipper highlights the first Bull (on your left), talking it up. He/She explains how unique it is. They go on and on about how lucky the crew is. This is a rare opportunity to see a highly endangered animal not likely to see another one yada yada yada. The crew then encounters the second Bull.... The Skipper replies "Wow... a Polar Bear" and again begins to highlight the unique opportunity etc. The key is the timing. The comedy is the contrast between an elephant and a white polar bear.

Prior to the addition of the fishies the area after the Backside of Water was known as the rapids. It had large rocks, and small bubbles. At night some Skippers would turn the exterior lights off and use the spotlight to highlight "the dangerous icebergs filled with crazed penguins that would attack the boat at the slightest sound of fish".

So that is why I asked if the choice of animals was coincidence or not.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

It seems to me that they tried to expand what attractions they can give holiday treatments to like Haunted Mansion Holiday and the It's a Small World Holiday. That said, however, I honestly think that they should've put more effort for the Jungle Cruise, even if it means giving the lost safari or even some of the gorillas santa hats to wear. If it's just only gonna be present-but-scarce decor in the queue and holiday jokes from the skipper, it's not going to be impressive.
    "Imagination is something that belongs to all of us!"

-Dreamfinder

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nvbtheghosthost999 View Post
    It seems to me that they tried to expand what attractions they can give holiday treatments to like Haunted Mansion Holiday and the It's a Small World Holiday. That said, however, I honestly think that they should've put more effort for the Jungle Cruise, even if it means giving the lost safari or even some of the gorillas santa hats to wear. If it's just only gonna be present-but-scarce decor in the queue and holiday jokes from the skipper, it's not going to be impressive.
    It's not meant to be impressive. That's like saying that wreaths and lights on Main Street are underwhelming. It's Christmas time, the parks are decorated, the whole place doesn't have to be transformed into a winter wonderland. The only reason Jingle Cruise is a "thing" rather than decorations is because it required a change in script, and when you're in a ride where script is everything, that's something worth noting. I'm not sure why expectations were set so high, OR why everyone is condemning what's essentially a small added bonus to a ride that's almost 60 years old.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

What if there were carolers and a band and Disney characters serving egg nog on the Mark Twain?

• Banned User

I've been on the Jungle Cruise so many times, I don't perceive the animatronic elephants as being exciting visually, like what might happen on a real jungle cruise, but for guests who haven't been on the ride more than a dozen times, there is still that 'wow' factor. Putting Santa Claus hats on the elephants would kill that, it would sort of say, "Yeah, they're animatronics . . . now they wear hats," IMHO. It's not like the Small World were the characters are completely fantastical, there's supposed to be a bit of imitation of reality.

For the casual guest who has no idea about the Jingle Cruise blurb on the Disney blog, they'll probably talk about it around the water cooler, "They tell Christmas jokes on the Jungle Cruise now and they wear these home-made Santa hats."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MouseintheMoon View Post
    They could add video projections in certain areas at night. Maybe add some element of voodoo magic or something to the tribal scenes.

They could also update some of the static animals with actual animatronics.

Ultimately though it's probably better to spend that money elsewhere in the park.
    Great ideas.

I think they could definitely plus the JC by, for example, swamping out static snakes for animatronic ones that lunge at the boat. It's a big ride, the possibilities are endless.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Again, I wanted to see Santa on top of the pole, being chased by natives, reindeer being eaten by lions and shrunken elf heads all around the place.

Now I feel bad about myself.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    Again, I wanted to see Santa on top of the pole, being chased by natives, reindeer being eaten by lions and shrunken elf heads all around the place.

Now I feel bad about myself.
    I wouldn't - you're talking about additions that stay in the rather macabre and dark streak running through the ride and the narration. It's a heck of a lot more true to the story and ride than, say, swapping out the Gorilla camp for them sitting around a Christmas tree or somesuch.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Aladdin. I attempted to PM you prior to my last post but was unable to do so. I wanted to give manifest time to answer. At this point I will go with the "honor" system. If he chose polar bears and penguins for a specific reason I will highlight said reason in the spoiler. If he didn't, he didn't. It is on him to be honest. I just found the choice of animals "amusing".

Spoiler
    There is a specific joke in regards to the African Bulls.

The Skipper highlights the first Bull (on your left), talking it up. He/She explains how unique it is. They go on and on about how lucky the crew is. This is a rare opportunity to see a highly endangered animal not likely to see another one yada yada yada. The crew then encounters the second Bull.... The Skipper replies "Wow... a Polar Bear" and again begins to highlight the unique opportunity etc. The key is the timing. The comedy is the contrast between an elephant and a white polar bear.

Prior to the addition of the fishies the area after the Backside of Water was known as the rapids. It had large rocks, and small bubbles. At night some Skippers would turn the exterior lights off and use the spotlight to highlight "the dangerous icebergs filled with crazed penguins that would attack the boat at the slightest sound of fish".

So that is why I asked if the choice of animals was coincidence or not.
    Thanks, TS. . . .

Yes, now that you mention the polar bear joke, I do recall that rendition of the joke, however I never heard the penguin joke before. And you are absolutely right, that so much of the success of the cruise is dependent on the delivery by the JC Guide. And the most entertaining Jungle Cruise guides that I have experienced didn't simply string together some selected jokes, but pushed it to the next level. Yeah, that's a phrase that is overused by so many motivational speakers, but that's what certain Jungle Cruise Skippers did to make the journey so much more fun. AND they also made the jokes their own, by creating their own character - whether it be a Englishman with a monocle, a female skipper with a wig of braided yarn, a certain infamous skipper that literally hung off the boat and saw the "piranha" before they were even added to the excursion, or a literary expert with a dash of overacting, or a skipper with a perfect collection of jokes to go along with his perfect deadpan, and perfect pause in the delivery of each joke he told. And it seems that some of these skipper may have been inspired by just one little additional prop.

Those handful of skippers are the ones that have made the Jungle Cruise one of my favorite attractions at DL, And its just by luck and chance when you do get to experience a skipper like that. It's a perfect storm, of a great setting with a great performer. So far, I haven't seen any of the current skipper take this sparse Christmas overlay to the level of the best of the best skippers. Perhaps there is one that performing at that high level, and I just haven't seen them yet on the Christmas Cruise. BUT, I do have to point out, IF the jungle cruise skippers were given a little more Christmas inspiration, with a little additional Christmas eye candy along the way, I think the Christmas Cruise would be much more fun and memorable.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    It's not meant to be impressive. That's like saying that wreaths and lights on Main Street are underwhelming. It's Christmas time, the parks are decorated, the whole place doesn't have to be transformed into a winter wonderland. The only reason Jingle Cruise is a "thing" rather than decorations is because it required a change in script, and when you're in a ride where script is everything, that's something worth noting. I'm not sure why expectations were set so high, OR why everyone is condemning what's essentially a small added bonus to a ride that's almost 60 years old.
    Expectations were high because Disney advertised it as a holiday overlay not a decorated attraction. They don't promote Main Street as a new land for the holidays, yet they did this for the Jungle Cruise.

For the casual guest who has no idea about the Jingle Cruise blurb on the Disney blog, they'll probably talk about it around the water cooler, "They tell Christmas jokes on the Jungle Cruise now and they wear these home-made Santa hats."

I have seen the Jingle Cruise referenced in exactly three places: in the blog entry, which, to me, described it exactly as it was, decorate queue and new script; in the brochure you get at the gate. It's currently listed as "Jingle Cruise" not "Jungle Cruise". And in on the sign to the ride itself, which has an I that's supposed to look like it was tacked on over the U by the "homesick skippers".
    Heck, I even just got my AP newsletter in the mail and it doesn't even reference it on the page that supposedly lists all the holiday attractions in the park. That's got small world and HMH and the parade, etc. No jingle/jungle.

Depending on how you look at it (unless I'm just oblivious and someone can point me to other marketing for it), the lack of marketing could set expectations unnecessarily high: you just see "Jingle Cruise" listed and assume because of the other overlays which are pretty big changes that this would be too. Or if you saw the blog blurb, might expect exactly what it is (or I guess some people read the blog and also expected more). Or, that it hasn't been pushed might keep expectations minimal. If you just walked into the park and hadn't read the blog, you'd still potentially see in the brochure that it's listed differently and want to take a look. Whether you're disappointed or not depends on what you're expecting. Whatever anyone was expecting, it's clearly working. The wait for that ride has been consistently twice as long as I've seen it in years (in November).

• I'm a Lutheran

Simple ideas to make the overlay more thorough:

- Weather reports in the queue warn of a freak snowstorm sweeping down from Mt. Kilimanjaro and blanketing Africa in melting snow, a la Blizzard Beach, turning it into a "Winter Savanna-Land."

- No Christmas decor until the boats reach the safari camp. Mounds of snow appear along the shore and in the trees (all fake of course, but realistic), while the curious gorillas have begun to raid the camp's supply of Christmas presents, and the safari camp's makeshift tree. The gorilla holding the baby now holds a stocking (filled with bananas), the gorilla trying on a hat is wearing a scarf and trying on a new pith helmet graced by holly, a new gorilla figure toys with a jack-in-the-box, often being frightened, the gorilla looking into the gun remains, the gun now boasting a ribbon, and the gorilla shooting at the water remains, also using a bow-topped gun. Crummy Christmas lights composed of colored gas lanterns entangle the tent's roof and nearby trees. The gorilla a few feet down the river continues to reach for a crate of bananas, only it is now a Christmas present, rather than TNT.

- The African Veldt, also dotted with snow patches, features snow angels made by long-gone explorers and a snowman, the snowman's face composed of desert stones, with arms made of bamboo twigs. A huge bite-mark appears in the snowman's side, the snowman's frozen expression frozen in surprise.

- A new motivation is given to the lost safari; they're trying to put a star on top of the totem pole. Unfortunately, the rhino still has them up a tree, a wreath around his horn.

- Melting snow continues to pop-up throughout the Africa portion, continuing all the way to Schweitzer Falls, the falls labeled lovingly as a melting "snow cap in the middle of the jungle." Dripping icicles, accomplished in some tricky effect hang from the sides of the falls, not pouring down falls, giving an extra little splash, even if the real-life weather is kind of cold.

- Trader Sam sells poinsettias and some decorative shrunken heads. He wears a ratty, old Victorian caroler top hat instead of the native headdress. Ellie the Elephant wears a ratty Victorian caroler bonnet.

Just some ideas. They suck, but I don't care, lol, I'm bored and tired haha.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. I think keeping it fairly low-key works to its advantage.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    Expectations were high because Disney advertised it as a holiday overlay not a decorated attraction. They don't promote Main Street as a new land for the holidays, yet they did this for the Jungle Cruise.
    You wouldn't call a new script an overlay? Like I said, on the Jungle Cruise the script makes the ride, so a revision to that is pretty significant IMO. Like sbk said, sometimes less is more. They can't go Nightmare Before Christmas on the Jungle Cruise, it would ruin the ride (which would lead to even more complaints).

Even then, this wasn't advertised. Like at all. I doubt most guests know about Jingle Cruise coming into the park. At WDW, for instance, where the majority of the crowds aren't blog-watching Disney-obsessed locals, the lines for Jingle Cruise have been very average.

• a wind to shake the stars

Exactly, I think this demonstrates the dangers of being, well, a dedicated fan. They didn't advertise this, per se, they mentioned it in a couple of spots on the blog and were very straightforward with details about what changes would be made.

I'd suggest that the vast majority of people showed up and were pleasantly surprised at the queue overlay and the new jokes, as opposed to disappointed that it didn't live up to their expectations. This is because they had no expectations.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast