Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any rides they won't let me go on?

just my luck - 8 days before i'm supposed to take my wife to the parks for our anniversary and i tear my bicep playing football with a bunch of my students. Sooooo, i have 2 choices-get surgery this week and be at the parks in a sling, or tough it out and have the surgery when i get back. I'd rather have the surgery asap, but there is no way i am sitting out on any rides!! so, any rules on that sort of thing where if they see me in a sling the cm won't let me ride? (we like the big stuff-screamin, indy, space, etc). thanx in advance for any guidance!
    66stang

• Blew By You

Re: Any rides they won't let me go on?

Health first. Get the surgery. I've never had such an injury but I've had a few others in which I got attended to. Recovery was not bad for me. I'd say go it slow and enjoy just being there. You'll know your body better and you'll make those boarding decisions as best as you can.

I would recommend staying off of Matterhorn, it is a very bouncy/rough ride, it will probably cause more damage to your bicep.

•   

All the big "red triangle" attractions have a disclaimer that you should be in "good health" to ride. But that's up to each rider's discretion and interpretation. As long as you feel comfortable riding, and as long as your sling doesn't prevent the restraints from being secured normally, you shouldn't have a problem with CM's stopping you. Screamin' would be more likely to cause problems than other attractions, since it's the only one with over-the-shoulder restraints.

OK-perfect. As long as its up to me thats all i need! separated at the elbow and not at the shoulder, so i'm thinking that will be easier to cope with (agree on the matterhorn-thats a bone joggler for sure and probably not worth the risk which is OK-we rode it once over the summer and that was enuf)

•   

Yeah Disney doesn't have any rules against slings, braces or casts as such. The guest just needs to be able to sit in the seat and wear the provided safety restraint normally without anything keeping it away from the body.

• Minion

You need to make sure your arm can handle the faster rides. Indy will be difficult for you. It is very jerky, most people use their arms to brace. I would hate for you to injure your arm further.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• #bringevilback

I have personal experience with this...just having had a torn ligament in my wrist repaired. I was in a cast for 6 weeks and am still in a split and will often wear a sling while in crowds for extra protection. I went on Matterhorn and Indy without issues, but it was my wrist, not shoulder, so it's easier to isolate and not get jostled, your upper arm will be harder, but is isn't hard to brace yourself with one arm. On Indy, use your good arm to grip the opposite side across your body, giving you more stability. They will let you go on all rides (unlike Knotts) just use your judgement and protect your repaired arm! No ride is worth a second surgery to refix something!

My daughter is currently in a sling for a possible fractured elbow. We were at the parks today and rode Indy, Star Tours, RSR, Splash and a whole bunch more rides with no problems. Her biggest problem was having her arm hit by people passing her on the crowded streets.

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by mlggator View Post
    My daughter is currently in a sling for a possible fractured elbow. We were at the parks today and rode Indy, Star Tours, RSR, Splash and a whole bunch more rides with no problems. Her biggest problem was having her arm hit by people passing her on the crowded streets.
    Yep, crowds of people are terrible! You really have to guard yourself since no one pays attention!

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by mlggator View Post
    Your post is exactly what I was thinking. The biggest concern i'd have is being bumped into constantly vs any of the attractions. Screamin is the only one that comes to mind since of the over head restraint.

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• "Always On The Move..."

Another one to say that the worse problem you will have is people not paying attention and bumping into you. My sister and I went when she was in an external fixator (bars drilled into the bones sticking out of the skin into an external brace) for her shattered/replaced elbow. She had no problems with being allowed on the rides, but people were running into her right and left and THAT was excruciating.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Thanks for all the advice-never thought about the crowds bumping into me. Maybe i'll rent a scooter. JUST KIDDING!!!! (don't flame me for that-it wasn't meant to attack anyone-just joking )

• #bringevilback

It is possible, you just have to consciously stay to the edge of crowds if you can't avoid them completely, and perhaps be flanked by members of your party who can act as a shield for you.

Also, so, for screaming, depending on how immobilized you are, you might be able to go on it. I managed with a full arm (above the elbow) cast on my right arm, I just had to be sitting in the left seat since there is more room in between the seats vs the seat and edge of car.

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    It is possible, you just have to consciously stay to the edge of crowds if you can't avoid them completely, and perhaps be flanked by members of your party who can act as a shield for you.
    THIS! When I went with my sister, we had another friend with us. The two of us wound up being human shields for her. It was a bit nerve-wracking, but it lessened the amount of bumping.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast