Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Taking lunch to the parks

My wife and I are headed to Disneyland this weekend (didn't realize how much mileage we would get from those APs we bought on our first visit three weeks ago...we've driven in from Las Vegas every weekend so far!) and are trying to save a few bucks by taking some of our own food. I know that coolers aren't allowed in the parks, but are there lockers available somewhere in the esplanade or DTD? If so, how big are they (we're going to have to buy a cooler) and how much are they? If not, what is our best bet for taking food into the park and leaving it in a locker? Thanks in advance for your help!

• Johnny and Me!

Re: Taking lunch to the parks

There are lockers available to the left of the Disneyland entrance, conveniently located next to the Picnic Area. $7 for a small, $10 for a large, and you can access your locker all day.

Thanks!

•   
    • MaliBOOMer

I've seen coolers in the parks.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

I being a soft sided cooler every time with no issue. They sift through our food just to check it out but never had any resistance to bringing it.

We carry ours in a stroller but I guess if you don't have that option then locker might be a good idea.

• Evil is Sexy

We'll sometimes keep our cooler in the car if we bring more than snacks along. We park in Mickey and Friends and the tram ride isn't very long to get there and back to eat.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Only coolers a certain size and under are allowed into the parks, as long as they are not on wheels and rolled.

From the Disneyland Website:

Coolers larger than 6-pack sized are not permitted into the theme parks.

• Note: Guest can store coolers up to 18" wide x 25" high x 37" deep in rentable large lockers located outside the Disneyland Park Main Entrance. Lockers are not refrigerated and availability is limited. Guests who need to refrigerate medication may do so at First Aid.
    • Exceptions may be made for special dietary or religious needs.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

Wouldn't buying a cooler and renting a locker get pretty expensive? I would just skip the hassle and get some corndogs for lunch.
    397 or 406 miles too far from DLR, depending on who you ask...

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by bummerkit View Post
    Wouldn't buying a cooler and renting a locker get pretty expensive? I would just skip the hassle and get some corndogs for lunch.
    The price of two corn dogs - not counting drinks or sides - will more than cover the price of the locker.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    The price of two corn dogs - not counting drinks or sides - will more than cover the price of the locker.
    Yeah, but throw in the price of a cooler and suddenly eating in the park is less expensive.

Unless you use the cooler every time you go; then it would save money in the long run.

Next time I'm there I think I'll take the Monorail out to DTD's Earl of Sandwiches for a meal since the food seems more appealing and reasonably priced than what I see in the parks. And it's fun to use the Monorail as transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Next time I'm there I think I'll take the Monorail out to DTD's Earl of Sandwiches for a meal since the food seems more appealing and reasonably priced than what I see in the parks. And it's fun to use the Monorail as transportation.

Plus you'll get an AP discount at EoS, and their holiday turkey sandwich sounds delicious!

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    Yeah, but throw in the price of a cooler and suddenly eating in the park is less expensive.

Unless you use the cooler every time you go; then it would save money in the long run.
    I frequently see smaller "daytrip" softside coolers for well under $5, even branded coolers are available through various sources for $7-$30.

It's personal preference really. The cooler solution is awesome if you're attached to non-Disney sodas or other food/drink not served in the park, and it's entirely possible to bring a lunch for four in the size allowed. $40 lunch for four at Disneyland is... difficult to pull off unless you're watching pennies very carefully. Even the corn dogs - $6 each for the 'dogs, $3 each for the sodas, using a party of four to work from you're already looking at having dropped $36 for one meal with no additional chips, sides or anything else. That's essentially the price of the cooler and the rental right there in one quickservice VERY limited meal.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I frequently see smaller "daytrip" softside coolers for well under $5, even branded coolers are available through various sources for $7-$30.

It's personal preference really. The cooler solution is awesome if you're attached to non-Disney sodas or other food/drink not served in the park, and it's entirely possible to bring a lunch for four in the size allowed. $40 lunch for four at Disneyland is... difficult to pull off unless you're watching pennies very carefully. Even the corn dogs - $6 each for the 'dogs, $3 each for the sodas, using a party of four to work from you're already looking at having dropped $36 for one meal with no additional chips, sides or anything else. That's essentially the price of the cooler and the rental right there in one quickservice VERY limited meal.
    Yes, but your calculations are for a family of 4 and the OP stated that it would be himself and his wife, so the amounts you stated would need to be halved.

And the corn dogs come with your choice of chips or fruit slices, at least they did every time I bought them. My bf and myself were able to do lunch for two for less than $25 every day (except when we went to BB) and an AP discount would make it even less expensive.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    Yes, but your calculations are for a family of 4 and the OP stated that it would be himself and his wife, so the amounts you stated would need to be halved.

And the corn dogs come with your choice of chips or fruit slices, at least they did every time I bought them. My bf and myself were able to do lunch for two for less than $25 every day (except when we went to BB) and an AP discount would make it even less expensive.
    Again, it's a personal preference - but even bringing it down to $20 a day simply puts it at the *average* cost of the locker rental, a cheap cooler and a couple snacks... and with the cooler, you've saved $7-$15 that won't be respent daily.

I'll keep stressing it's the personal preference - but I just can't see a point where Disney's food prices are comparable to the cost of this. Disney's pricey. All you can do is bring money and shop wisely, and if inclined, bring outside snacks to help cut the costs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast