Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking 2013 Candy Canes at Disneyland

2013 Disneyland Candy Cane Dates!!

Hand Made Candy Canes from Candy Cane will be alternating between Candy Palace on Main Street USA in Disneyland and Trolley Treats over on Buena Vista Street at Disney California Adventure.

HOW IT WORKS
    Technically you are not supposed to line up before park opening, but people do wait at the entrance really early for them.

Wristbands may be picked up at park opening.

It has not been confirmed:
    There will be 40 wristbands per batch and three batches per day. This means that 120 wristbands will be given out at park opening.

your wristband will get you ONE candy cane. If you have people with you, you HAVE to be together as a group. They will not hand you wrist bands for anyone who is not with you. Lines start at whichever candy kitchen is producing candy canes for the day. SO walk REALLY fast to either Candy Palace or Trolley Treats upon entering the park. Cast members will be there to guide you. Its serious business!

Your wrist band will have the date and batch time on it. You may pick up your candy cane any time after your batch time.

you must pick it up by 4:00 & cost is $12.99 (no discounts accepted). If you dont pick up your cane by 4, it will be sold to someone in the stand by line.

THE DATES
    Please note that these dates are subject to change. Additional dates may be added.

Candy Palace at Disneyland
    Friday, November 29 (8:00am park opening)
    Tuesday, December 3 (9:00am park opening) *Extra Magic Hour this day 8-9am
    Friday, December 6 (9:00am park opening)
    Tuesday, December 10 (9:00am park opening) *Extra Magic Hour this day 8-9am
    Friday, December 13 (9:00am park opening)
    Tuesday, December 17 (9:00am park opening)
    Friday, December 20 (hours not posted yet)
    Sunday, December 22 (hours not posted yet)
    Tuesday, December 24 (hours not posted yet)

Trolley Treats at Disney California Adventure

Saturday, November 30 (8:00am park opening)
    Monday, December 2 (9:00am park opening) *Extra Magic Hour this day 8-9am
    Saturday, December 7 (8:00am park opening)
    Monday, December 9 (9:00am park opening) *Extra Magic Hour this day 8-9am
    Saturday, December 14 (8:00am park opening)
    Monday, December 16 (9:00am park opening)
    Saturday, December 21 (hours not posted yet)
    Monday, December 23 (hours not posted yet)
    Wednesday, December 25 (hours not posted yet)
    Last edited by mine,mine,mine; 11-09-2013 at 08:13 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: 2013 Candy Canes at Disneyland

I personally would never spend that kind of money on a candy cane... even a large Disney one... but it is fun to watch them make them through the window! That is if you can get close enough to see!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Then I must be one of the crazy ones willing to spend the money on it. I've always wanted to purchase one but it seems like none of my Disneyland trips ever coincided with the candy cane dates. One of these days I'm going to get one though. They'll probably be $20 by the time that happens for me

•   
    • Minion

I've been reading about these candy canes for years...they seem to have acquired legendary status. What is it that makes them so special? I'm not trying to ask that in a rude or sarcastic way; just pure curiosity. Can someone who has done the lines/wristbands share what it is they love about these candy canes?
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

I've done it twice now. I think the thing that does it for me -- more than sharing in the nervous energy of everyone at the gate, more than the brisk walk to the candy store to form a line -- is watching the candy makers form the canes and knowing that one of those will be mine. I felt disappointed the first time I was told that the candy canes being made in front of me were already sold out.

I might do it again this year and crush the cane for peppermint bark.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I've been reading about these candy canes for years...they seem to have acquired legendary status. What is it that makes them so special? I'm not trying to ask that in a rude or sarcastic way; just pure curiosity. Can someone who has done the lines/wristbands share what it is they love about these candy canes?
    Handmade Candy Cane making is considered to be a "Lost Art."
    A Lost Art: Making Candy Canes at Disneyland - YouTube

• Semi-Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I can do better then that, I've actually made candy canes at Disneyland. Most candy canes you buy at stores are weeks if not months old and a little stale, the ones at the park are fresh, with an intense peppermint flavor that the ones from stores has usually been dramatically reduced by age. If you can get them while they are still a bit warm, even better!

• Selfie Expert

I don't even like peppermint, but one of these days I want to get one of these just to say I have!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Mrs. J. Depp

It's a good think I don't like candy canes. Jeez people have to line up and get wrist bands for these things? Looks like they've developed a cult following.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Former Churro Jockey

I'm just not the kind of person to line up like that for anything, so I doubt I'll ever get to try one, but I definitely remember working there on the days when they were making them, and the SMELL is incredible. IF I could get one without waiting in line forever I'd totally pay $12.99 to try one. There's a pretty good video you can see (it's either from last year or two years ago) of Guy Ferriere (sp?) assisting in making one, and it's pretty crazy they way that they make them.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

One of the advantages of living in the sticks in the midwest on the edge of Amish Country is that we actually have places that make all kinds of old-fashioned candies in the old ways. There are two candy kitchens within a 25 mile radius of me that make hand rolled candy canes & sticks, hand wound lollipops (the ones that look like a round braided rug), and hand stretched ribbon candy. There is even a place that makes home-made maple candy (sugar and chewy) from their own maple sap every mapling season.

That being said, I could easily imagine the purchase of one of those "magical" canes from Disney could easily become a once-in-a-lifetime or yearly family traditional purchase.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

I wouldn't describe it as waiting in line forever. You just go to the park 15 minutes before the gates open (which is 5-10 minutes before the park opens). The recommendation is 30 minutes, but I've done it at 15 minutes. And that's fun, anyway. They always invite one family in early to assist with the countdown to the gate opening, and they encourage the crowd to count down, too. There will be lots of people there who don't know or care about the candy canes, but who just want to be there at park open. The recommendation is to get in line on the left side of the park (when looking towards Main Street station from the esplanade), but I've gotten in line on the right side -- the important thing to me
    is to try to be one of the first groups in my own line. They usually scan the tickets of the first few people in each line early, so once gates open, you don't have to wait.

Once the gates open, walk briskly -- don't run, although some will -- to the candy store to get in a line. But don't worry -- they start handing out wristbands as soon as the line forms. Once you get your wristband with your batch number and pick up time, you're free to go to the end of Main Street to participate in rope drop.

Its easier to get candy canes now that they distribute them from DCA, too. In fact, we went early one day last December just to get a fast pass for Racers. We left DCA to park hop about an hour or hour and a half after DCA had opened, and we passed several CMs standing outside Trolley Treats with unused wristbands in their hands. I'm pretty sure I received Twitter alerts from DCAtoday for at least another half hour saying that wristbands were still available.

• See Ya Real Soon!

One of these days I will be there to get one.

Won't plan a a trip JUST to get one but if a trip is planned and they happen to be making them then you bet I will be one of those NUTS that get one.

Tips for warm candy canes:

1) Go watch them make a batch. At the end, the candy makers hand out small pieces of warm cane from a little paper cup. No purchase/wristband necessary.

2) If you do get a wristband, go earlier than your designated pick up time and explain to the CM at the register that you want yours warm and don't mind if it's still a little pliable.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ExCandyMaker View Post
    I can do better then that, I've actually made candy canes at Disneyland. Most candy canes you buy at stores are weeks if not months old and a little stale, the ones at the park are fresh, with an intense peppermint flavor that the ones from stores has usually been dramatically reduced by age. If you can get them while they are still a bit warm, even better!
    Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Handmade Candy Cane making is considered to be a "Lost Art."
    A Lost Art: Making Candy Canes at Disneyland - YouTube
    Thank you for this! I don't know if I am going to try to get one this year, but it does seem as though they're worth the wait and extra effort.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast