Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Re: Visiting Carsland made me think how awful Tomorrowland really is :(

In my opinion Carsland is not the best land by any means. It may have impressive rock work but for me that's where the advantage ends. All attractions in the land are mediocre to poor and like someone else mentioned, it feels too big for its own good. To me it feels like a big marketing tool that sells merchandise and less about improving DCA.

There are many problems with TL as a concept, as it was in its heyday, and how it stands today.

As of now there is no unifying look, theme, or concept. Its a mess. It also isn't very futuristic at all. As a concept TL will always become dated in a few years and need overhaul. IMO that is unacceptable. But probably my worst gripe with all versions and the basic concept of TL is the fact that TL has never had a time or place. Sure it has been full of ideas, themes, and concepts, but it has always lacked a well developed...exterior. Like Fantasyland may be dedicated to our childhood fantasies, it is presented in a beautiful bavarian village exterior. Adventure land is the same with exploration and its jungle colonial setting. What exactly is TL? It has always been nothing. TL has always been aware of itself and never amounting more than a place where tomorrow gets shoved down your throat without any grace or subtlety.

Hopefully Star wars brings a bit of time, place, and narrative to the land. ALthough it is not how I would go about it, it is better than just being a sort of showcase for futuristic stuff. TL needs to become a living breathing LAND!!! Or else it will never gain any of the permanence like its fellow lands enjoy.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    I haven't read much about Carsland here... but to me.. it's the best themed land of them all.

But Carsland... WHOA, where did that come from.
    You can thank John Lassetter who wanted his "Cars" franchise ... to come to life, without beancounters ruining things. Planners wanted "parade route" infrastructure laid in - He fought to keep it out, and make it as authentic to the movies as possible.

It's perfect. Just perfect.
    I wouldn't say it's perfect.

It is in the way of "Attention to Detail" & it's star attraction ranks pretty high in the "Quality" department

Where it's not - Luigi's Fly'n Tires .. is actually an imperfect mess. The tires are too large, the rink too small, and people can't get enough speed to travel from one end to another. You're just hovering .. and barely move. I've done it once. That's it for me. From here on .. my "attraction" .. is in my giggles watching people not having any clue what to do with them.

It's also not so perfect .. because it has only one ride that entails any showbuilding. The 2 others, are outdoor. A perfect land, is one with more than 3 rides to it's entire roster.

Now, I see Tomorrowland and I cringe. Its sterile, ugly, devoid of attractions.
    If you think it's devoid now .. just wait if these Star Wars rumors are true .. .when the big rumor is to combine Autopia, Innoventions, and the PM track all into ONE attraction. Watch variety and the number of attractions to do .. take an even worse dive!

It has the old flying saucers, for crying out loud! They took them away from TL and placed them next door!
    There was a reason for it dissappearing for decades. And I wouldn't say - They, exactly, ironed out the issues, 5 decades later! lol I give the ride 5 years .. before it disappears again.

Someone send the guys who did Carsland straight to Tomorrowland. We need them.
    Lets fine-tune that:

Lets leave the Franchise Obsessed guys over here ..... and lets bring the ones who believe in quality and some originality over here - into Tomorrowland.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Maybe just employ the guys who did the rockwork.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I used to like Carsland, until I had the following epiphany:

Are real-life towns decorated with human body parts? Then why would a town in a world ruled by cars be decorated in car parts? (Kind of a creepy realization, and something that would make sense only in a slasher movie...)
    Great observation. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not impressed. Cars Land strikes me as a mishmash of the same tired sort of pun-nery as everybody was complaining about with DCA 1.0. And there's nothing to see aside from the bad puns: the rides are very difficult to watch (unlike, say, the teacups, the fun wheel, Screamin, or almost any other outdoor ride really), and the only other things to do in Cars Land are either consume pun-ny merchandise or consume pun-ny food. Meh.

I've been through real ghost towns on Route 66. They're still there. You can see some even now. Why are we representing such lost hopes and dreams in a theme park? It makes me sad. I think the whole land could be as effectively called "Six Flags Land."

There, I said it. I'm bracing for the hate...

And for the record, I adore DCA, but love Disneyland even more. I am not a hater! I'm just not a CL fan.

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    Now, I see Tomorrowland and I cringe. Its sterile, ugly, devoid of attractions. Carsland is full of them. It has the old flying saucers, for crying out loud! They took them away from TL and placed them next door!
    "Full" of attractions? It has three. And the new flying saucers ride, Luigi's, is awful. And I'm not the only one who feels that way, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    lets leave the franchise obsessed guys over here ..... And lets bring the ones who believe in quality and some originality over here - into tomorrowland.
    yes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
    I've been through real ghost towns on Route 66. They're still there. You can see some even now. Why are we representing such lost hopes and dreams in a theme park?
    If we were to go by that logic, wouldn't other lands technically be lumped in there as well? An example I could think off the top of my head would be Frontierland. The wild west provided an opportunity for settlers to live a better life and start anew, but many still lost their hopes, dreams, and in some cases, lives. There are other examples in the back of my head but I can't think of them in a conclusive thought at this moment.

I can sort of understand where you're drawing your conclusions from; from real life experiences in such ghost towns, but I am having a bit of a hard time understanding it as a whole. Carsland represents Radiator Springs, and in the Cars Universe, Radiator Springs was about to become one of those ghosts towns, but it managed to rise out of the ashes and boom again. So wouldn't the residents of Radiator Springs have their hopes and dreams rejuvenated with their new chance and opportunities they have in front of them?

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Running on 8 cylinders, Bongo

• All-American

Give it time. Big things are coming, potentially with budgets rivaling Cars Land.

• Hello Dolly.

I love Radiator Springs! I've been missing the resort a lot lately, especially RS during Christmas. Hopefully I can make it.

Amazing Rockwork, stores, ride, eatery (cones and Flos), and looks even more amazing at night. The ride is just a good spirit, yet still thrilling ride I'm glad Disney decided to build.

I find complaining about the lack of attractions to be pointless. If they had just one more big ride, they would already have more or just as much as most lands have at any themepark. Yet people were expecting Disney to open two big rides at once? Give it time, right now the land is still amazing & Flo's is delicious. We can't have it all at once, & as successful RSR was I doubt that's the last thing they'll add to the land.

• I am number 4 of 999

I find it disappointing that people who can't follow the directions on how to move the tires fault the ride. I guess I could see why you prefer rides like Tower or Screamin'. Just take you up and drop you, or shoot you along the same track. No thought or effort on your part.

And for the record, I can make it completely across Luigi's floor about three times during the ride time.

Cars Land is the most perfectly balanced area of a theme park that I've ever been to. Rides, Food, Merchandise, theme and characters all come together seamlessly in ways that no other area can match.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

I'm from the Westside, but I know people in both Tomorrowland and Cars Land. And I've been to both lands as a Guest repeatedly in the last year.

And I have to say the CM's in Cars Land blow the snarky and bitter Tomorrowland CM's out of the water.

• Thinking about doughnuts

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    I find it disappointing that people who can't follow the directions on how to move the tires fault the ride. I guess I could see why you prefer rides like Tower or Screamin'. Just take you up and drop you, or shoot you along the same track. No thought or effort on your part.

And for the record, I can make it completely across Luigi's floor about three times during the ride time.
    Finally! Another Luigi's fan out there. The collisions are a bit G-rated but other than that I think it's a lot of fun. Yes, there is a learning curve. In my case I could control the tire about halfway through the first cycle. Sometimes you get trapped in a pack and it's not much fun but most of the time I've walked off with a grin on my face. It's different every time. And it involves some strategizing. There's a concept - a ride that varies. Plus it provides endless entertainment for people who want to rag on it on the Internet.

Luigi's ain't gonna be gone in five years. I'm glad we got Luigi's instead of another spinner. If you want to dump a ride get rid of a spinner. Keep the one that's different and get rid of one of the clones. Or better still, keep them all. And the bouncy Italian music adds not just to the ride but the general area.

That's what Cars Land has got: character. I wasn't that fond of the Cars movie but I definitely enjoy Cars Land because of the ambiance. Cars Land: neon that reinforces the character of the land. Tomorrowland: neon which needs to be replaced. Cars Land: walking route 66 with rides out where you can see the fun. Tomorrowland: people packed in like sardines with most of the fun hidden inside buildings. Cars Land: going through the wharf entrance is a carefully choreographed stroll through a spectacular opening scene. Tomorrowland: the entrance is so blocked by a spinner that you wish you could rent the jet pack that guy used at Disneyland years ago. It would be worth risking your life just to fly over that crowd.

Haha I for one can follow directions and have been on Luigi's multiple times, being able to do the correct thing, and still find that ride fairly boring. So no, people who can't "follow directions" aren't the only ones who despise that ride.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast