Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Visiting Carsland made me think how awful Tomorrowland really is :(

Quote Originally Posted by cbrittneyb View Post
    Haha I for one can follow directions and have been on Luigi's multiple times, being able to do the correct thing, and still find that ride fairly boring. So no, people who can't "follow directions" aren't the only ones who despise that ride.
    Amen.

•   

My personal hatred toward tommorowland stems from the structure and the way the crowd flows, not the rides. And when you look at the structure of the two lands, cars land flows better as far as moving people, mostly due to the 3 ways in and out whereas tommorow land only has two walkways in and out. Overall tommorwland will be fixed if they just restructure and figure out how to move people through the land bettter.

Hopefully Star wars brings a bit of time, place, and narrative to the land.
    As of now there is no unifying look, theme, or concept. Its a mess. It also isn't very futuristic at all. As a concept TL will always become dated in a few years and need overhaul
    That's a big problem with TL right now. The main attractions there are from four different milieus; Star Wars, Toy Story, Space Mountain and Captain EO. There's no unification between the rides, it's like they crammed everything thing future-y into one location and didn't think about the space in-between. Star Wars, like it or lump it, will bring some unity to TL.
    Speaking of being crammed...

Overall Tommorowland will be fixed if they just restructure and figure out how to move people through the land better.
    Ding! The jam around the Astro Orbiter and the confusion wreaked by the old People Mover pylons can be EPIC at times. Better people flow = better experience.

• Former DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    Finally! Another Luigi's fan out there. The collisions are a bit G-rated but other than that I think it's a lot of fun. Yes, there is a learning curve. In my case I could control the tire about halfway through the first cycle. Sometimes you get trapped in a pack and it's not much fun but most of the time I've walked off with a grin on my face. It's different every time. And it involves some strategizing. There's a concept - a ride that varies. Plus it provides endless entertainment for people who want to rag on it on the Internet. Luigi's ain't gonna be gone in five years. I'm glad we got Luigi's instead of another spinner. If you want to dump a ride get rid of a spinner. Keep the one that's different and get rid of one of the clones. Or better still, keep them all. And the bouncy Italian music adds not just to the ride but the general area.
    I also enjoy Luigi's Flying tires. I had the hang of it early into my first ride. I actually play a little game while on the attraction. A bull fight if you will. I look around for people who are attempting to (or are accidentally about to) ram my tire, and I attempt to dodge their hit at the last possible moment. It's great fun. On my last visit to the park I even attempted a "back-peddle" maneuver, where I sent my tire moving in a backwards direction while someone was coming head on to me. I let them chase me a bit, and then veered off to watch them catch air. I didn't know that person, but we were both smiling, and he had quite the look of determination on his face as he attempted twice more to ram me before the session ended. I think that is what is special about this attraction. On most attractions you are told how to, or are simply forced to, have fun in the designed fashion, but with Luigi's you can alter the experience so it is fun for you.

To point out a few things, my trips to Disneyland are often limited due to living far away, so I have taken a ride on Luigi's about 4 times. Point being that it is not difficult to reach a level where you can maneuver the craft with ease. I have noticed though, that the attraction is easier to maneuver when riding alone.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere"

• Down Pluto!

Maybe so... But I would still prefer the sad Tomorrowland of today than have it become StarWars Land or Marvel Land. A sad Tomorrowland is preferable than converting it to a Movie Franchise Land.

Sometimes change is NOT for the better, it's just change...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Maybe so... But I would still prefer the sad Tomorrowland of today than have it become StarWars Land or Marvel Land. A sad Tomorrowland is preferable than converting it to a Movie Franchise Land.

Sometimes change is NOT for the better, it's just change...
    I THINK I feel the same way, but if the new Star Wars / Marvel / Random Franchise rides are good enough, then I might change my mind.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    Finally! Another Luigi's fan out there. The collisions are a bit G-rated but other than that I think it's a lot of fun. Yes, there is a learning curve. In my case I could control the tire about halfway through the first cycle. Sometimes you get trapped in a pack and it's not much fun but most of the time I've walked off with a grin on my face. It's different every time. And it involves some strategizing. There's a concept - a ride that varies. Plus it provides endless entertainment for people who want to rag on it on the Internet.

Luigi's ain't gonna be gone in five years. I'm glad we got Luigi's instead of another spinner. If you want to dump a ride get rid of a spinner. Keep the one that's different and get rid of one of the clones. Or better still, keep them all. And the bouncy Italian music adds not just to the ride but the general area.

That's what Cars Land has got: character. I wasn't that fond of the Cars movie but I definitely enjoy Cars Land because of the ambiance. Cars Land: neon that reinforces the character of the land. Tomorrowland: neon which needs to be replaced. Cars Land: walking route 66 with rides out where you can see the fun. Tomorrowland: people packed in like sardines with most of the fun hidden inside buildings. Cars Land: going through the wharf entrance is a carefully choreographed stroll through a spectacular opening scene. Tomorrowland: the entrance is so blocked by a spinner that you wish you could rent the jet pack that guy used at Disneyland years ago. It would be worth risking your life just to fly over that crowd.

Not the only other Luigi fan. My problem with it, however, is simply that it is so slow in loading, that the lines become outrageous. That said, I went on it the first time expecting not to be impressed, and I found it to be more fun than I felt it should be.

I also agree with the atmosphere throughout the entire land. It does take me to somewhere else. I love it.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    Give it time. Big things are coming, potentially with budgets rivaling Cars Land.

Source?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    Give it time. Big things are coming, potentially with budgets rivaling Cars Land.
    Not unless Tom Stagg's staff of beancounters who battled John Lasseter tooth and nail to gut Carsland's budget have been replaced.

Which isn't going to happen anytime soon.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

I have a feeling that the executives will want to cheap out if they do decide to build a Star Wars Land.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    I find it disappointing that people who can't follow the directions on how to move the tires fault the ride. I guess I could see why you prefer rides like Tower or Screamin'. Just take you up and drop you, or shoot you along the same track. No thought or effort on your part.

And for the record, I can make it completely across Luigi's floor about three times during the ride time.

Cars Land is the most perfectly balanced area of a theme park that I've ever been to. Rides, Food, Merchandise, theme and characters all come together seamlessly in ways that no other area can match.
    I like Tower and Screamin' because they are fun. Luigi's is not fun. It is very slow and even when you hit someone at top speed you just slowly come to a stop. It's really anti-climatic. It's not just people who don't know how to move it who fault the ride. I can move the tires, and it still sucks.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I have a feeling that the executives will want to cheap out if they do decide to build a Star Wars Land.
    I think there's no question that regardless of what great plans WDI dreams up, the end result will be a management cheap-out. The reasons are many, and include management's demonstrated mindset that "the brand, not the build, is the draw"; the billions spent to purchase LucasFilm will heighten their already-high resistance to spending money on E-Ticket quality; and especially the fact that there will be no heavy player on the creative side to prevent the beancounters from slashing an already bone-tight budget to the marrow (as would have happened to Carsland had it not been for John Lasseter).
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Not here to help

Carsland looks pretty good.... But it's nothing compared to what they have in DisneySEA. What I want to say with this is that there sooo much potential... where there is money, like in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    "Full" of attractions? It has three. And the new flying saucers ride, Luigi's, is awful. And I'm not the only one who feels that way, lol.
    I do not think it is awful, but it could use some major improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by sean317 View Post
    For me, Tomorrowland needs to be updated to this day & age.
    If you want to update it to today's technology you would have to change the theme every 2 years, since it seems like technology changes every 2 years IMO.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast