Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Visiting Carsland made me think how awful Tomorrowland really is :(

Not "this day and age", but the future.

Or it's Todayland. And unless you have Hoda and Kathy and a bottle of vin rouge the concept fails. (But not flat on its face, as in the example above).

TL has some really nice rides, but as a Land, it's aesthetics are awful.

• Selfie Expert

I agree that Cars Land is beautiful and well done, but I personally prefer the rides in Tomorrowland. I am not a big fan of RSR, though it is well done, I'd only ride it once a trip at most (and usually just skip it). I actually have more fun on Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. I rode Luigi's once, and will not be wasting my time again (and yes, both my husband and I were able to maneuver our tires just fine, it was just boring to us). Space Mountain and Star Tours, I could ride five times in a day and still want more.

For theme and atmosphere, though, I do feel that Cars Land is superior. I'm just not a big fan of Cars as a franchise so it's not a huge draw for me.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

isn't the entire east quandrant of Disneyland pretty much the asthetic weak point of the resort at this point?
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    isn't the entire east quandrant of Disneyland pretty much the asthetic weak point of the resort at this point?

I'd say that, as ugly as that area is, Condor Flats beats it.

Then again, at least you can walk around Condor Flats without the major traffic gridlocks.

Cars Land is impressive and expensive. That said, I'm not a fan of the theme. It's all kind of ugly to me aside from the rock structures.

I much prefer the themes of all the lands in Disneyland. There are certain ugly areas within Disneyland, but they're mostly in Tomorrowland, which I still think is cooler than Cars Land. Would I like to see Disney invest in it like they did Cars Land? Of course.

Cars Land has the "Oh, WOW!" built into the entire area that makes it more than the sum of its parts. The rides themselves are not what makes it, it's the experience of being there.

And yes, Luigi's sucks, and yes, we read and followed the directions. My 10 year old and 8 year old like Tuck And Roll's Buggies more than Flying Tires.

But that didn't matter: Seeing and talking to Mater mattered. Riding RSR mattered. Eating at Flo's mattered. The experience of being in Radiator Springs mattered.

The exact opposite happens in TL. The rides there matter. As for the the experience... what experience?

You've got the retro-future theming of Astro Orbiter and Autopia clashing with the Toy Story theme of Buzz Lightyear and Redd Rocket's clashing with the Futurist architecture of Space Mountain clashing with Star Tours, and just to top things of, there's Captain EO and Innoventions, forgotten and ignored like the echoes of fireworks show.

When you're walking thru Tomorrowland, you never feel like you're in someplace other than an amusement park in Anaheim. That is the whole point of Disneyland: You're supposed to be somewhere other than the here and now once you pass thru the gates.

If Star Wars Land is what it takes to get the magic of Tomorrowland back, great. if it's a return to the "The Future is Here Today!" optimism of the 1962 World's Fair, then that's great as well. As TL stands now, however, it's kinda like walking thru the set of Bladerunner, where the future was supposed to be something really cool but never did quite make it...

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    Yes.

And what is worse is the entire east quadrant of the park is the only part that devotes itself to Fantasy - where the impossible exists. The rest of the park is based more on realism -- "the hard facts that have created America" and in so doing provide the ground-work for guests to use their own imaginations to escape from their everyday lives.

The failure of modern day Tomorrowland is possibly the biggest threat to the future of Disneyland. Could the problems this is presenting be a symptom of there no longer being "imagination left in the world"?

• Super Genius

Tomorrowland isn't what it used to be. I think its heyday was 1970's to 1985. Then it took anotehr hit in 1998 when they took out Submarine voyage. Removing the skyway didn't help, either.
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by MikeChat View Post
    Tomorrowland isn't what it used to be. I think its heyday was 1970's to 1985. Then it took anotehr hit in 1998 when they took out Submarine voyage. Removing the skyway didn't help, either.
    Maybe they're using Zen garden methodology. The park will be done when they've removed everything.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Maybe they're using Zen garden methodology. The park will be done when they've removed everything.
    It's a message alright. In the future Disneyland will be devoid of classic attractions.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Post of the month, if not the year!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    ...The failure of modern day Tomorrowland is possibly the biggest threat to the future of Disneyland. Could the problems this is presenting be a symptom of there no longer being "imagination left in the world"?
    I think there are enormous amounts of imagination, inspiration, creativity and passion left in the world. Just not in the halls of TDA, TDO and TDB.

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by ExurbanKev View Post
    When you're walking thru Tomorrowland, you never feel like you're in someplace other than an amusement park in Anaheim. That is the whole point of Disneyland: You're supposed to be somewhere other than the here and now once you pass thru the gates.
    Has TL ever felt that way? It has never tried to present itself as anything in its entire history other than a land in an amusement park in Anaheim that happens to be dedicated to the future. I think that has always been its main problem. Too vague and abstract of a theme for the largest land in the park.

Would be better as a "city of the future" or a colony on another planet. TL is the only land that isn't a....place. No 2nd story windows, no life, no fake shops, no implication of residents. None of the charm and detail every other land has.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Has TL ever felt that way?
    Tomorrowland '67 sure did... until the Eisner regime let it go to seed, then "fixed" it with the travesty of Tomorrowland '98.

- Neil Gabler

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast