Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Visiting Carsland made me think how awful Tomorrowland really is :(

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I want to go to DIsneyland with you! You sound like a blast!
    Meet up in Tomorrowland so you know it's going to happen in the future

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I want to go to DIsneyland with you! You sound like a blast!
    It helps to have two over-enthusiastic young sons to help get you into the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Too bad Disney doesn't do movies like GRAVITY.

It's something I think that Imagineers should be looking at.

What did they design for Hong Kong and Shanghai?

Because Disneyland Paris' Discoveryland is outside the 'canon'.

And Tokyo is a copy of Florida, mostly.

So we have the two domestic Tomorrowlands (plus Tokyo) and Future World that depend on updated theming...

Should we look to the Chinese parks (the most recent) for inspiration?
    When I say canon, I mean something like a Disneyland expanded universe. The world where all the lands coexist. This world has a bavarian village, turn of the century town, the old west, and a southern french town. Where does TL fit in all this? Its not a town city or place like the others. Is it a technology fair brought by aliens to showcase what the future holds for these primitive people? I just want TL to have a sort of story and setting thats superficial and subtle like the rest of the lands.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    I haven't read much about Carsland here... but to me.. it's the best themed land of them all.

My favorite one is Fantasyland. It's very pretty. And Frontierland is a classic.

But Carsland... WHOA, where did that come from.

It's perfect. Just perfect. Radiator Springs Racers is a dream come true. It beats the Matterhorn in scope. It makes Grizzly Run look like a toy. It's THE most impressive land I've ever seen. And at night it gives Main Street a run for its money. There, I said it. Main Street is a classic, but CarsLand is the land CA always deserved. It's the land DL deserves.

Now, I see Tomorrowland and I cringe. Its sterile, ugly, devoid of attractions. Carsland is full of them. It has the old flying saucers, for crying out loud! They took them away from TL and placed them next door!

I fear Disneyland, the greatest theme park that ever was, is in serious risk of losing relevance to the once ugly duckling next door. Seriously - DCA 2.0 is incredible. Simply incredible. The new entrance, Carthay Circle, CarsLand make the park rock. Even Paradise Pier now looks right (the flight area is still as ugly as ever, though).

Someone send the guys who did Carsland straight to Tomorrowland. We need them.
    Yes, Radiator Springs looks great, and the Cadillac Range as the backdrop is fantastic. BUT using just one movie for the theme of an entire land is not nearly impressive as a land that seamlessly blends together several different kinds of experiences from a variety of inspirations. AND IN NO WAY Whatsoever does the impressive rockwork in Radiator Springs make the pathetic carny theme of paradise pier acceptable! Screamin and the ferris wheel only serve as a horrible reminder of Paul Pressler's "If its good enough for 6 Flags" mistaken mentality.

As for the best themeing, yes the European Theme for Fantasyland does work pretty well for blending together the older darkrides, but the stretch from Alice to Small World is rather disconnected from the rest of the theme. And yes, Frontierland has a good theme too, but it's Old West Town entrance does suffer, and doesn't really feel like much of an old West Town. ToonTown also has a great theme, and Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin is a great attraction, but the rest of the land suffers from any other major attraction. Tomorrowland just doesn't blend it's attractions together with its theme and is just a bunch of disjointed attractions. Critter Country's theme got screwed up when Pooh sent the Country Bears into excile. New Orleans Square has two of the Best attractions in Disneyland, and somehow successfully combines these into a land that was better when the Disney Gallery was located there, and when three of the courtyards WERE COURTYARDS and available to all guest.

BUT the one land that is most successful in theme and in combining a variety of differently inspired attraction has to be ADVENTURELAND, from The Tiki Room to the Treehouse (whether its residents were that Swiss Family, or Tarzan's family) and from Indiana Jones Adventure to the Jungle Cruise. Let's not forget snacking at the Bengal BBQ, with a Dole Whip for dessert, and it was all even better when Aladdin Oasis actually had a dinner show, or had it own Luau show. No question, that over the decades Adventureland has the most successful theme, with the best variety of attractions. No other Land succeeds in encompassing such a variety of exotic experiences!

• Former Churro Jockey

Actually the whole west side of Disneyland is better themed and more immersive. Frontierland, Adventureland, New Orleans Square, and Critter Country are all perfectly themed. They have good entertainment, thematically appropriate merchandise (alongside other generic stuff too, but hey, I take what I can get), some of the best rides in the park, and overall some of the best food too. Critter Country is a litle bit of a weak link because other then Splash there isn't much reason to go there, but then on the other hand the park is so darn crowded most of the time hanging out at the Hungry Bear is a nice relaxing change of pace. Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Toontown are not as immersive and to me feel like they've been left behind the rest of the park a little bit.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Actually the whole west side of Disneyland is better themed and more immersive. Frontierland, Adventureland, New Orleans Square, and Critter Country are all perfectly themed. They have good entertainment, thematically appropriate merchandise (alongside other generic stuff too, but hey, I take what I can get), some of the best rides in the park, and overall some of the best food too. Critter Country is a litle bit of a weak link because other then Splash there isn't much reason to go there, but then on the other hand the park is so darn crowded most of the time hanging out at the Hungry Bear is a nice relaxing change of pace. Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Toontown are not as immersive and to me feel like they've been left behind the rest of the park a little bit.
    I think Fantasyland is a dream come true.

It probably is because it's the land I dreamed about for a long time before I finally went to DL ( I first visited the park when I was 16) but to me, that's the entire park, right there, the original dream, Walt's favorite, the one that I still remember as the one land I could never do without. Main Street, the Castle and Fantasyland are Disneyland to me.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by ExurbanKev View Post
    This is why StarWarsLand is such a good fit for TL: As someone who has been a science fiction geek since Grade 5 and saw Star Wars on opening week (and then 9 other times that summer...), Star Wars was the first movie in a long, long time that showed the future as being fun.
    I want to feel like that same way in TomorrowLand. I want to think I'm someplace, sometime other than the 21st century in a theme park in California.
    Except that the "future" you imagined Star Wars to be (according to canon) happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. It was not nor ever will be OUR future. Tomorrowland is about OUR future - not a fantasy future (past) in a place that is too far to be real.
    I agree. I want Tomorrowland to be something other than 21st century Todayland, and especially to be something other than a fantasyland of another galaxy long ago, and far, far away. What is OUR future? What is in OUR tomorrow? Let's extrapolate beyond the dystopian future views that so permeate our modern culture to a place where we can have that sense of movement, community, caring about how we all belong and interact. I'm sorry but Star Wars and Marvel do not accomplish that task. All they accomplish is making a buck off of fanboys who can't get enough.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Except that the "future" you imagined Star Wars to be (according to canon) happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. It was not nor ever will be OUR future. Tomorrowland is about OUR future - not a fantasy future (past) in a place that is too far to be real.
    I agree. I want Tomorrowland to be something other than 21st century Todayland, and especially to be something other than a fantasyland of another galaxy long ago, and far, far away. What is OUR future? What is in OUR tomorrow? Let's extrapolate beyond the dystopian future views that so permeate our modern culture to a place where we can have that sense of movement, community, caring about how we all belong and interact. I'm sorry but Star Wars and Marvel do not accomplish that task. All they accomplish is making a buck off of fanboys who can't get enough.
    Nice post.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

So should we be looking to Batkid for inspiration?

All they accomplish is making a buck off of fanboys who can't get enough.
    And this differs from every other themed ride in every other theme park... how?

Yes, it's true, Stars Wars opens up with "A long time ago...".
    But the next line? "In a galaxy far, far away."
    if that's not in-line with all the other fairy tales that have built Disneyland, what is?

Let's extrapolate beyond the dystopian future views that so permeate our modern culture to a place where we can have that sense of movement, community, caring about how we all belong and interact.
    And then make an E Ticket ride out it.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    So should we be looking to Batkid for inspiration?
    Maybe the people who made Batkid's day so awesome.

And this differs from every other themed ride in every other theme park... how?

Yes, it's true, Stars Wars opens up with "A long time ago...".
    But the next line? "In a galaxy far, far away."
    if that's not in-line with all the other fairy tales that have built Disneyland, what is?
    Maybe you missed my point. I wasn't talking about fairy tales (which belong in Fantasyland), I was talking about Tomorrowland. Star Wars dos not meet the first criterion: Tomorrow.

And then make an E Ticket ride out it.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Senior Minion

...I want Tomorrowland to be something other than 21st century Todayland, and especially to be something other than a fantasyland of another galaxy long ago, and far, far away. What is OUR future? What is in OUR tomorrow? Let's extrapolate beyond the dystopian future views that so permeate our modern culture to a place where we can have that sense of movement, community, caring about how we all belong and interact. I'm sorry but Star Wars and Marvel do not accomplish that task. All they accomplish is making a buck off of fanboys who can't get enough.
    Well said. Sadly for the future of Tomorrowland, Disney purchased Star Wars and Marvel for the sole purpose of owning the boy demographic. Making bucks from that demographic is the only criterion; all other considerations (including and especially the theme of Tomorrowland) are unimportant to Disney.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Hello Dolly.

I almost completely agree, although just because these are IP's, I'm not going to blow them off. What us Disney fans want is something that fits and uses imagination, so just because Marvel is an IP doesn't mean it is exempt from that. Marvel has a diverse comic collection & original stories can be created, why can't it fit into Tomorrowland?

I agree that just appealing to fanboys will be against what many fans want. If Disney used their Marvel property to make their own themed lands better instead of just pushing a popular character, I'd have no problem with Marvel. Iron Man actually fits into the land really well, as he is exactly what Disney was (a man showcasing what's to come in the future). But of course, what many including myself are expecting from Disney is to just drop an amazing but random in time/theme ride into the park. But certain Marvel stories & characters (like Iron Man) can fit into the land perfectly if Disney wanted to actually make a ride about tomorrow instead of just dropping popular IP's into the park.

Star Wars I get though as it takes past in the past. I feel like the story & universes created for Star Wars has allowed for perfect exceptions (Star Tours), but it either needs to be it's own land or they should fix up Tomorrowland to actually represent tomorrow. Hopefully the future will bring a Tomorrowland, & not Sci-Fi land.
    Last edited by BlAcKoUt510; 11-18-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456