Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Earthquakes

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Earthquakes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    One would think. But like everything else where big business, big money and local politicians are involved, the question is highly politicized.

Some examples of what Southern California's "seismic safety preparedness" is really about...
    Plus if the freeway overpasses collapse and fires break out, getting out of Anaheim and going anywhere is going to be a nightmare.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget View Post
    Earthquake faults are everywhere, and if the magnitude is large enough even if it were 100 miles away it could cause damage. I was in the 1989 SF quake. I find it funny that it was called the San Francisco earthquake when the epicenter was over 100 miles south of SF but it was large enough to knock down the bay bridge. I wouldn't worry if it happens it happens. Probably DL is built to strict code so I would think if there were a large quake you would be pretty safe. IMO

As a side note. The Loma Preita '89 quake was about 4 o'clock in the afternoon not morning
    The Northridge Earthquake in 1994 is the one that happened about 4 in the morning. Perhaps that's where the confusion came from.

By the way thank goodness the Northridge Quake happened so early in the morning when most people were sleeping. About the same number of people died in Northridge as in Loma Prieta. Had the Northridge Quake happened in the middle of the day the death toll likely would have been in the thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    pardon me for any redundancies from other posters - Just shooting right to the questions:

No. Has yet to happen.

Everywhere. There are at least 300 known fault lines running under Southern California, alone. All of different lengths. The Inglewood/Newport fault line .... is one of the more significant fault lines running under Orange County. And of course ... the big fault line of them all .. running nearly the entire length of Calfornia - The San Andreas.

Back in the early 1950s .. I doubt they were thinking "Earth Quake" zones - like we do today. No different than ads of doctors smoking in hospitals from decades back. The further back we go in time .. the more naive and oblivious we human beings are to health and life risks. Since the only significant quake for those earlier generations of the first half of the 20th Century dealt with one significant quake - The 1933 Long Beach Quake .. and nothing major for DECADES .. I think a sense of false security took place .. especially for scouts .. searching for a theme park in the early 50s.

If it's a good sizable one ... why wait around for a CM to later direct you to some "designated holding place"? Don't head out of Main Street! That's what everyone else would do. Those of us who know the park pretty well ... we know where the CM entrance points are into the park ... you make your way, out that way. Ideally .. I would want to be near the exit of Splash Mountain. Right by the shop there .. is a CM access point backstage.

We can almost take a guess at that. These days, imagineers don't work with brand new structures in DL, they tend to recycle old ones - and I wouldn't doubt Pooh, New Fantasyland 1983, Buzz building, Innoventions, Redd Rockets, Star Tours are among older buildings reinforced .. when those buildings were changed over for new attractions. I tend to believe many attractions are "over built" so fortified (I could be wrong) ... more than the average building, outside this theme park.

The difference is crowds. When you have a park with tens of thousands of people inside ... your first instinct should be to head out of CM entrance points. If you shoot down Main Street - you're going to get trampled.

I am of native of Orange County. Grew up exactly 6 miles from DL. I know exactly what the most significant quakes have been .. for our modern times, near DL. There was the 1971 San Fernando quake. Woke me up, business as usual for most of Orange County. All damage, really, to the north .. North of LA County. Next was the 1987 Whittier quake. Again in the morning ... at work. Right near DL ... a good little shaking. No significant damage to Orange County. Mostly to Whittier in LA county. Next, the 1994 Northridge ... Again ... WAY north .. away from OC. A morning quake again. (All these quakes love early mornings.) The only significant damage .. .was the marque/electronic score board to Angel Stadium fell off to one corner. Later discovered .. shoddy construction to begin with.

Everything else ... has been with epicenters a distance from Orange County. Luckily .. by the time the "wave" reaches OC .. we get a little rattling. Things fall off shelves. OC has been fortunate. So far. When that luck runs out ... who knows!

But this is a reality for those who want to live in Southern California. It's a risk for all those who want to live here.

But I will stress again for the 3rd time ... If a significant one were to happen ... DO NOT HEAD DOWN MAIN STREET TO GET OUT. Especially if it's a really crowded day! You find your way to a CM entry point.
    Actually there was extensive damage to Anaheim Stadium during the Northridge Earthquake in 1994, when the left field scoreboard fell onto the seats damaging that part of the stadium. Luckily this happened in January early in the morning so there were no games being played. If there were, hundreds of people easily would have been killed or severely injured.

• Former Churro Jockey

I can't say for sure becuase it's been 17 years now since I went through training, but I don't remember any earthquake training. I would assume that if there was a really bad one that forced the evacuation of Disneyland, then security, managers, and even team leads would probably be the ones in charge of handling that. They would direct people where to go, and I'm sure they'd be using backstage and CM exits to avoid congestion on Main St. I do remember when the Japan earthquate hit there was damage to Tokyo Disneyland, and there was a story on MiceAge about how the park was evacuated quickly and efficiently, and those parks are a lot more crowded then ours.

As for where I wouldn't want to be during an earthquake -- watching Fantasmic. For one thing, there are massive crowds and you'd have to worry about the viewing area getting washed out from the rivers of America. For another thing, there isn't a large cast member entrance nearby. The closest one would be the train station, but it has a small gate that you can only walk through 2 - 3 at a time. The closest major exit would be Critter Country, which has a large gate by the Splash exit, but you'd have to walk under the bridge for the train to get there, which might have collapsed.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Foolish Mortal

I'd swim over to Tom Sawyer's Island and wait it out if all heck broke loose.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I can't say for sure becuase it's been 17 years now since I went through training, but I don't remember any earthquake training.
    Looks like nothing changed between then and Al's report in 2011:

...Anaheim has never conducted a park-wide earthquake drill for its Cast Members, and the few minutes of earthquake training Cast Member’s receive when they hire in is so basic and so vague it comes across as rather meaningless.

...Not a single word is mentioned in any of the Cast Member training about how to respond to panicky or injured visitors, or what to tell them, or where to direct them.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I would assume that if there was a really bad one that forced the evacuation of Disneyland, then security, managers, and even team leads would probably be the ones in charge of handling that.
    One would hope so. But according to Al's report, that's not the case:

...The salaried park management have also had just a few minutes of vague and useless training in earthquake response techniques, the same as the average ride operator or shop clerk got, so don’t look to the guy wearing the Dockers and the earpiece for useful direction or assistance either.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I don't know who gets what training at Disneyland, but I can tell you I was at Disneyland during the Chino Hills earthquake. That was quite a shake because the epicenter was so close to Anaheim and I can tell you the cast members were organized, orderly, and helpful when providing assistance.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rammikin View Post
    I don't know who gets what training at Disneyland, but I can tell you I was at Disneyland during the Chino Hills earthquake. That was quite a shake because the epicenter was so close to Anaheim and I can tell you the cast members were organized, orderly, and helpful when providing assistance.
    The cast members in that event really didn't have to deal with anything except precautionary shutdown of rides -- the 2008 Chino Hills event was only a moderate 5.4, strong enough to feel but not enough to cause serious damage or injuries. The U.S. gets 35-40 earthquakes of that magnitude per year. They have nowhere near the energy and destructive power of the anticipated "Big One."

- Neil Gabler

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The cast members in that event really didn't have to deal with anything except precautionary shutdown of rides -- the 2008 Chino Hills event was only a moderate 5.4, strong enough to feel but not to cause serious damage or injuries. The U.S. gets 35-40 earthquakes of that magnitude per year. They have nowhere near the energy and destructive power of a "Big One."
    This is why I only mentioned the 3 earthquakes worth mentioning for the "OC" area .. of the last half of the 20th century. '71 Sylmar, '87 Whittier, and '94 Northridge. All others are minor to these. Maybe not "minor" to some people .. who's nerves are rattled .. and grocery isles in some stores have a mess to content with. But for all of the 20th Century ... Orange County has fortunately skated by any serious damage and fatalities.

Not only does the US get 35-40 quakes per year of magnitudes lesser than the 3 major ones for the LA Basin of the last 50 years ... .but there are literally hundreds of quakes registering 1 or 2 or even 3 practically every week. We don't feel them .. and if we do ... they are very minor shakers. And reminders ... we have to be prepared for the ones that will register a 6 or beyond. As far as these 1-5 magnitude minor shakers, they add up to that of a "hang nail". And if some people get freaked out to those ... then they really should reconsider moving somewhere else.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    So the other day as I was daydreaming about Disneyland, the subject of earthquakes came to mind.
    I have that same nightmare when I'm about to get launched on California Scream'n... I always think, if there is an earthquake once this thing gets started I'm toast.... Never really give much thought to what might happen on other rides, but I just have some image of a quake causing the track to separate part of the loop and having the coaster flying straight down to the ground below.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    I have that same nightmare when I'm about to get launched on California Scream'n... I always think, if there is an earthquake once this thing gets started I'm toast.... Never really give much thought to what might happen on other rides, but I just have some image of a quake causing the track to separate part of the loop and having the coaster flying straight down to the ground below.
    With me it's the Fun Wheel. Especially when you're stopped at the very top and then my mind starts to wander...

Because of that alone the Fun Wheel is probably the scariest ride in the park for me.

I think if there was a big earthquake and Disneyland was affected, I would be more worried about the crowds reaction than the quake itself. I've lived in Cali all my life and have gone through several. The biggest problem is usually the people, especially those who have never been in one and panic or those that just panic no matter what. Would you want to be caught in the mass exodus to the main gate or just hang back and sit at the top of the key away from anything that will fall and wait it out. Wouldn't Disneyland be one of the coolest places to be stuck in as a shelter?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin999 View Post
    Wouldn't Disneyland be one of the coolest places to be stuck in as a shelter?
    Stuck with no power, no water, no food and 100,000 people in an amusement park that doesn't have a staff and management trained and practiced in major emergency procedures wouldn't be my idea of cool. Especially if damage to the parking structures made it impossible to get to my vehicle.

- Neil Gabler

You know, they have a full back up system with generators to run most of the park and a full medical team and staff (got to meet them once, long story), a branch of the Anaheim PD on site (met them too but under good circumstances), and by the time most of the people have fled out the front gate running to wherever they think they are going there will be far less people there. Under appacolyptic circumstances anywhere would suck, but a sizeable quake wouldn't be so bad. Disneyland, like DisneyWorld, is a small city with everything they need right there, just not always seen by the public.

• Senior Minion

Seeing how poorly the DLR deals with major holiday event crowds, and its notorious lack of organizational abilities, I seriously doubt that a few on-site police officers and nurses would be effective at coping with 100,000 frightened people, a number of whom could be injured or have special needs, in a "sizeable quake."

- Neil Gabler

• Former Churro Jockey

There was a fun, silly thread a few months ago about holeing up at Disneyland in the event of a zombie apocolypse, and one of the things that came up was just how much food is actually stored on property at the park. When I worked there Disney got an awful lot of food delivered to them every day between 3 - 6 AM for that day, so I don't know that there is a ton of food actually stored on property. There is a small farm (AgriFuture) behind Tomorrowland, but the pesticides they use are not safe for consumption. You'd probably be able to find plenty of drinks (hope you like Coke!), but food might be challenging. I can however attest to the fact that there is enough popcorn seed to probably last a decade if you can get one of the popcorn kettles working...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast