Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: More Water Rides at DCA

Yeah, the one and only time I went on Atlantis I was pretty disappointed with it and thought to myself: "if only this were a Disney ride it could have been soooooo much better." The lake at DCA does take up a good chunk of real estate, but it is necessary. Look at how much charm Knott's lost when they got rid of Reflection Lake. Disney learned a long time ago water is essential for the theme park experience.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• formerly very helpful

I agree that water is needed, but I'd have rather seen them do smaller, winding rivers through the land areas than the one large lagoon that they have. Of course, to be honest, if they are doing a beach board walk, they kind of do need an "ocean" there, so I can see how it makes sense.

That said, to answer the original post, I'd love to see more water rides, but not thrill rides. Something along the lines of POTC or such. A boat ride where you see animtronic stuff.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I agree that water is needed, but I'd have rather seen them do smaller, winding rivers through the land areas than the one large lagoon that they have. Of course, to be honest, if they are doing a beach board walk, they kind of do need an "ocean" there, so I can see how it makes sense.

That said, to answer the original post, I'd love to see more water rides, but not thrill rides. Something along the lines of POTC or such. A boat ride where you see animtronic stuff.
    The fact that they never had a boat tour through the history of California's ports was always weird to me.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    The fact that they never had a boat tour through the history of California's ports was always weird to me.
    Ex-USN, and having lived in/on the ports of San Diego, Long Beach/LA and heavily visited Oakland...

Have you SEEN them? Are you sure Disney wants a CA Horror ride?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    I was thinking like a trip through the Gold Rush. See miners panning for gold along the river, bad guys claim jumping, and so on. Or go the complete fantasy route, and a river through the forest, tracking Bigfoot or something.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Imagine Atlantis from SeaWorld done with full theme and likely more show scenes.
    I'd be happy with a CLONE of JET STREAM from Six Flags Magic Mountain, about where the swings are. But there's not really the space for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    The WORLD OF COLOR platforms take up almost the entire footprint of the lake.
    Exactly. And for that reason, the expansive lagoon is totally justified. That show is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I was thinking like a trip through the Gold Rush. See miners panning for gold along the river, bad guys claim jumping, and so on. Or go the complete fantasy route, and a river through the forest, tracking Bigfoot or something.
    Yes, I think the Gold Rush idea is great.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by sean317 View Post
    Yes, I think the Gold Rush idea is great.
    It'd be awesome to tie in with Mark Twain's Roughing It period if they wanted stories and humor for ride ideas. Mules falling through lean-ins, fortunes lost for forgetting to file claims, lines of men paying hard gold to watch a local matron iron...

It's a shame that there's no Twain at either resort really.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I wish there was more water in general. Paradise "Bay" feels more like a mall fountain with all the machinery sticking out. All of the water around Grizzly River Rapids is part of what makes it my favorite area in the park.

If only they'd take notes from DisneySea.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Agreed, in DCA's first days wave machines gave it a seaside feel.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Agreed, in DCA's first days wave machines gave it a seaside feel.
    I kinda liked it. Quiet waves lapping against the restaurant below, stiff drink in hand looking out over the quiet, empty streets... every single day for an entire summer...

Was a hell of a summer. And a hell of a bar tab.

• Artistic integrity

How about a boat ride on a western river expedition?

should fit the theme of "California" just fine!

MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Grizzly River Run is such a generic raft ride, it feels like any other raft ride at any old amusement park. In fact, the raft ride at Great America here in the Bay Area is better than Grizzly. At the very least, it should have more theming unique to Disney. It's been talked about before here on another MiceChat thread, and I too feel the ride is lacking; it feels cheap and has no tie in to anything Disney. The addition of any forest Disney characters along the way as you go along on the ride would be nice, or even just non-character animatronic animals would be good.
    I love the rapids at Great America, but it's no where close to Grizzly Peak. It does lack on story but is in no way at all cheap. Grizzly Peak is a very beautiful land & the scenic route on the ride is way more than metal/concrete walls & a few trees. It would be considered a top Disney ride by many by simply adding a story & a few animatronics. I'm glad the ride has moved away from its extreme sports image as well, hopefully more changes will continue.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I kinda liked it. Quiet waves lapping against the restaurant below, stiff drink in hand looking out over the quiet, empty streets... every single day for an entire summer...

Was a hell of a summer. And a hell of a bar tab.
    Don't forget ROCKIN' THE BAY or did that start the following summer?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast