Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Micechat Update: DAC, No X-mas Parties for awhile,

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I think they mean stingy from Disney's point of view. When I had my pass I would often go to DL and only have dinner, so I was spending money, but compared to someone who bought a 1-day ticket who pays for lunch, dinner, a couple of bottled waters, a churro, a t-shirt, mouse ears, some kind of glow thing, and an ice cream, and I guess by that standard I'm stingy to a Disney exec. I can't spend as much money in the parks as a day guest for the simple fact that I'm only there a few hours as opposed to the whole day.
    Don't like stingy at all. We're on a rather strict budget and cannot spend freely. It's Disneyland with one meal. That's how the recession has affected us, despite raluso saying that the recession never existed in the first place.
    As far as DAS is concerned, I was pleasantly surprised that the process went well, despite the klunkiness of waiting for a hand written time. Come on, this is the digital age where you can connect to China in an instant.
    So Disney has managed to piss off disabled folks, the United States Marine Corps, Salvation Army, and Walt's Ghost all in one calendar year.

•   
    • Minion

I'd point out that the "stingy" APs give Disney between $270 - $600 in admission fees for the year, while they might just be getting one-time admission of $92 or $137 from each of the day guests.

I'd also point out that even if an AP only spends $10 per visit, if they visit, say, twelve times over the course of a year they've spent $120, which also probably puts them above the money spent on food and merch in one day by a day guest. Plus, considering how many APs go for pin, Vinylmation and other collections, it's probably safe to say that most of them spend more than $10/visit. I know that I usually drop about $50 every time I visit.

• Chief Troublemaker

I think it's kinda unfair to lump APs (I'm not one) all in one big pile & label them as 'stingy'. Some local APs may buy the pass, visit often, & spend little money but there are also some AP visitors that include onsite stays, meals & merch, and visit 2 or more times per year for 4-6 days per visit (that's about where you'd break even on AP vs Hoppers) . They may spend almost as much as those of us who go once a year, stay onsite, & spend a significant amount in meals & merch during that one stay.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Senior Minion

If anyone thinks the "stingy" label is unfair, blame Disney Corp. Management has griped for years about how much less APers spend on merch and food compared to day ticket purchasers -- conveniently ignoring the fact that they have only themselves to blame for a ticket program that keeps trying to turn Disneyland from a world-class tourist destination into a hangout for a million+ locals.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

^this
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Former Churro Jockey

I wonder how much actual data they have on how much an APer spends at the park vs. a day or multi-day ticket holder. Maybe that's why the CM's are so good about asking me whether I'm a annual passholder so I can get my discount every time. Maybe Disney encourages it for the sake of being able to track my purchases and they are willing to give up the 10% or 15% or whatever it is in order to be able to do so.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Banned User

Management can complain all they want, but the laws of finance doesn't change. Neither will converting locals to day trippers. Thus, they haven't gotten rid of the AP program for the simple reason that making more money is better than making less money. Anyways, I wonder of management done the job of analyzing those that buy the day passes. Not every local buys an AP.
    Last edited by StevenW; 11-13-2013 at 03:37 PM.

• Of Two Minds, or More

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    This kind of rubbed me the wrong way, maybe I'm on my MANstral cycle, lol.
    Once Thanksgiving Day arrives however, and all the Passholder blockouts kick in, the daily attendance declines by 30,000 or more and the parks become noticeably less busy, while per capita guest spending skyrockets compared to the stingier Annual Passholders.

Not sure I would have worded it that way. As an APH and frequent park visitor, of course I can't binge spend. But our money is still spent in the parks, while it might not be lets just say $300 in a day, maybe it is $300 spread out through the course of the year. Does that make my wife and I "stingy"?
    I'm definitely with you on that. My honey and I spend an average $100 per visit. We usually go 10 times a year. That adds up. I'd love to see the numbers on how that compares to a tourist family of two visiting the park once a year.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWally'sNiece View Post
    I'm definitely with you on that. My honey and I spend an average $100 per visit. We usually go 10 times a year. That adds up. I'd love to see the numbers on how that compares to a tourist family of two visiting the park once a year.
    Our five night stay at the Grand Californian (a Disney property) alone (never mind the tickets and all the food and souvenirs) laps your anecdotal evidence.

fwiw
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Under that tree again!

Look at it this way. Year ago Disney stated it made more off guests in park spending than the ticket, 125%. So we could assumer a day guest spends roughly $225, $100 on the ticket, $125 on food and souvenirs.

The average day guest does not stay on Disney property overnight, they drive in. The average overnight guest stays off property. So we can say the average hotel rate Disney could get, from a weekend night in regular season is 440+370+280 divided by 3. (GCH+DLH+PPH)/3 is $330. Take the $330 divide it in half because only half of guests stay overnight, and divide it in half again and because only half stay on property. Your down to $82.50, but then divide it by the number of guests conservatively 3 guests per room. Now you get another $28.

So a typical day guest spends $225+$28 for a total of $253 per person, assuming they are adults.

This is a pretty high estimate as multiday tickets do make up a good part of visits and the spending spreads out a bit. I'd also bet as ticket prices went up, the ticket/food-souvenir proportion tipped toward even.

In the end I as a Passholder spend the same $28 on a hotel as I sometimes spend the night on property. I probably don't spend $125 but guess it to be more around $60 on food and souvenires. So $88 a day times about 40 days. And also that $600+ pass. Sorry for clogging up the park and being so stingy with those $4000.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Math is your friend. $300 / 12 = $25. Not so stingy, plus parking. So $40 per trip?
    I counted two of them. So, per guest, it's $12.50.
    Smart AP'ers buy one annual parking pass for WAY less than parking for 12 days (main cause of the parking nightmares, btw, as it lowers the number of guests per vehicle and thus increases the number off vehicles ceteris paribus).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Look at it this way. Year ago Disney stated it made more off guests in park spending than the ticket, 125%. So we could assumer a day guest spends roughly $225, $100 on the ticket, $125 on food and souvenirs.

The average day guest does not stay on Disney property overnight, they drive in. The average overnight guest stays off property. So we can say the average hotel rate Disney could get, from a weekend night in regular season is 440+370+280 divided by 3. (GCH+DLH+PPH)/3 is $330. Take the $330 divide it in half because only half of guests stay overnight, and divide it in half again and because only half stay on property. Your down to $82.50, but then divide it by the number of guests conservatively 3 guests per room. Now you get another $28.

So a typical day guest spends $225+$28 for a total of $253 per person, assuming they are adults.

This is a pretty high estimate as multiday tickets do make up a good part of visits and the spending spreads out a bit. I'd also bet as ticket prices went up, the ticket/food-souvenir proportion tipped toward even.

In the end I as a Passholder spend the same $28 on a hotel as I sometimes spend the night on property. I probably don't spend $125 but guess it to be more around $60 on food and souvenires. So $88 a day times about 40 days. And also that $600+ pass. Sorry for clogging up the park and being so stingy with those $4000.
    You are forgetting the cost of goods sold. Revenue <> profit when buying actual goods. Cost is probably 50% of price. Buying a ticket, which are nearly limitless and has very little cost of creating it and selling it, is probably 99% profit. (Lots of fixed costs in operating Disneyland. They'd have to be allocated by an knowledgeable expert.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

We are out of state and have been going once every couple years with 5 day park hoppers. During that stay we pick one park treat a day. We eat outside the park for every meal. The only dinner we eat in the park is on our last day. We also only buy one souvenir each and we do that on the last day. So we are pretty stingy on in park spending I'd say, and we don't have APs.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I counted two of them. So, per guest, it's $12.50.
    Smart AP'ers buy one annual parking pass for WAY less than parking for 12 days (main cause of the parking nightmares, btw, as it lowers the number of guests per vehicle and thus increases the number off vehicles ceteris paribus).
    When one person spends money for 2 and you count it as "per guest" spending, it implies the guests are stingy. I guess I understand why the stingy argument gets out-of-hand. It is a ridiculous situation.

Disney is lucky to get any customers in this situation.

What's so stingy about one guest of a couple who buys an AP that costs about $300 each, and then spends $300 over a year and parking. That's a lot more than if they bother to go for one day on day pass.

Smart customers may very well buy the parking pass, but not everyone wants to pay for these things upfront because they might not know their schedule in the months ahead. You can't presume it.

• Disneyland Dreamer

If Pirates is closed we are going to be P-I-S-S-E-D the heck off. Alice is a huge disappointment as well. Splash being down would ruin a family tradition as well (oldest and I get a pic with us in the front of the log on every trip)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast