Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: MiceAge Update, Mermaid and Alice

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo123 View Post
    I also refuse to Believe the Little Mermaid gets that many guests. Everytime I get on it is completely empty. You never see The Haunted Mansion empty and they both use the omnivmover
    Haunted Mansion seems to have more people riding it for a few reasons:1) The stretching room effect limits the number of people that can come down into the attraction at any one time, meaning there is a steady pulsing of people onto the omnimover belt, but never a consistent line.2) The Mansion slows and stops a ridiculous amount to load/unload guests with disabilities, as well as stops and slows related to the normal operation. Mermaid stops and slows a lot less, thanks to the longer load belts.3) Mermaid's Clamshells are bigger than a Doom Buggy or a Buzz Space Cruiser and can hold more guests in the same space. There's a reason the hosts say, "3 to 4 per clamshell".4) Mermaid has a decent chunk of queue space inside the building, hiding whatever line they have inside.5) Mermaid allows re-riding without getting off the ride, so they have more people riding the ride but not in line than the other omnimovers do.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

While the queue at Mermaid has never been what I waited in during AP previews, I have only "walked onto" the ride once, and it was an off day during the ever-shrinking off season. Otherwise, there is at least always a line that is outside, so I would say that almost every time I ride I wait 3-5 minutes. It's anecdotal, but I am at the park 2.5 times a month on average, based on the total visits on my AP page at Disneyland.com.

I don't want to rehash off topic arguments, but the fall protection stuff IMO has gone way too far.

My biggest question, though, is: How are they going to retrofit Soarin' to digital IMAX? I know it has been mentioned on here before, but Digital IMAX is much different than IMAX. Unless they have fixed this, Digital IMAX projects onto a much smaller screen. According to Wikipedia, Soarin' has an 80 foot omnimax style screen, which is about the height of IMAX. Conversely, digital IMAX (sometimes referred to as LieMAX) projectors are meant to project onto a much smaller screen that sits much closer to the audience (it was designed as a retrofit for existing IMAX theaters that wanted to go digital).

Here is an example of the difference from Slash Film (here, fake IMAX is digital IMAX):
    Name:  ZZ68ECE699-550x256.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  44.4 KB

So if they just project it onto the same 80ft screen at the same viewing distance, there are going to be some major pixelation issues, right?

I wonder what the fix for this will be.

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post

My biggest question, though, is: How are they going to retrofit Soarin' to digital IMAX? I know it has been mentioned on here before, but Digital IMAX is much different than IMAX. Unless they have fixed this, Digital IMAX projects onto a much smaller screen. According to Wikipedia, Soarin' has an 80 foot omnimax style screen, which is about the height of IMAX. Conversely, digital IMAX (sometimes referred to as LieMAX) projectors are meant to project onto a much smaller screen that sits much closer to the audience (it was designed as a retrofit for existing IMAX theaters that wanted to go digital).

Here is an example of the difference from Slash Film (here, fake IMAX is digital IMAX):
    Name:  ZZ68ECE699-550x256.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  44.4 KB

So if they just project it onto the same 80ft screen at the same viewing distance, there are going to be some major pixelation issues, right?

I wonder what the fix for this will be.

Disney is probably going to utilize several digital projectors to project the ride film on the imax dome screen instead of using one large digital projector (which I don't believe exist yet for that large a scale?)

Today, I feel like driving through a cursed temple, taking a tour of a haunted antebellum mansion, plunging down a waterfall in a hollowed-out log, bobsledding down a famous swiss mountain, traveling through the darkest recesses of space, and watching fireworks explode over a fantastical castle.

Yeah, that sounds fun.

• Closed Account

Alice and Pan has the most potential for redone FX, projection mapping and upgraded AAs. Maybe even Pinoc. Toad is iffy. That ride DEPENDS on flats and over exaggerated caricatured human flats.

• Foolish Mortal

We ride Little Mermaid every visit, as it is usually no more than 5 minutes. My biggest beef with the ride is that when you get into the main show area, you can see across the way to the other guests on the ride, basically facing each other. I suppose HM is similar in Madam Leota's room, but it is dark, and it is easier to focus on her.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    We ride Little Mermaid every visit, as it is usually no more than 5 minutes. My biggest beef with the ride is that when you get into the main show area, you can see across the way to the other guests on the ride, basically facing each other. I suppose HM is similar in Madam Leota's room, but it is dark, and it is easier to focus on her.
    Plus, to be fair, you're at a *seance* with the rest of the people in the room and Leota's the medium contacting the boundless realms yadda yadda. There's a reason you can see everyone - it's not quite holding hands, but it IS supposed to be the circle. Even the track design and facing of the cars reinforce this.

Mermaid... uh... everyone likes singing fish, so let's see everyone enjoying it?

I don't know. I got nothin'.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post

Alice Fixes

Also, with regards to shortening Alice's outside track and moving it closer to the building . . . even shortening by half would produce a steep grade and make evacuations unsafe for guests! The outside portion that takes guests up to the second story is able to accomplish the one-story rise in elevation as it is relatively long, making the outside portion shorter would by necessity increase the slope/steepness of the ascent, more work/stress on the motor and unsafe for disembarking during an emergency. So, while I would be happy to hear that Alice is getting a refurb, I'll take this as a rumor as it seems TDA hasn't thought out the engineering involved with the outside track.

Attachment 33605

The design/engineering is in the curved track, which provides better traction, as well as the length which provides for gentler slope, you can't just put a ramp going up at 45 degrees! They've also changed the track before, adding a second smaller outside portion, this is an older photo but provides a clearer shot of the serpentine nature of the track which is a clever engineering solution to getting guests to the show building area above Toad.
    They could put in a loop on the outside track right against the wall.
    (sorry just wanted to say it before someone else did).

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    I found it very interesting that the update said absolutely nothing about the Monstropolis expansion in the backlot. Obviously construction HAS NOT begun backstage as was reported and Im taking Miceages quietness on the subject as a sign that they got this one completely wrong.
    I hope that's the case! I for one really, really didn't want any Monsters stuff there. Hopefully TDA will move back in the right direction and give it a California relevant theme.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

I don't know why people aren't that find of the Little Mermaid ride, or at least complain about it here on MiceChat so much. I think it's a great dark ride based on a great movie, and the new animatronics are awesome.

I think The Little Mermaid is a great ride. They really need to add some more "real" water to some of the scenes. The Alice ride outdoor portion is very bland for me. Not sure how to explain it, but there is no excitement leading up to that final indoor scene. That portion reminds a little bit of the Peoplemover ride. If they do decide to put a E-Ticket ride in DCA, it must exceed that of Radiator Springs Racers. They need this in order to make more people want to come to DCA first.

• Heavy Breather

I would like to see more updates done to Mermaid. Haven't ridden it in person yet, but from all of the videos I have seen, the ending is very rushed. Ursula turns Ariel human, She and Eric keep stalling their kiss, Ursula is "conveniently disposed of" while Ariel and Eric kiss. Then that's it. No battle with Ursula. Most of the dark rides had some sort of conflicting run in with the main antagonist, but here, you don't get that.

• The doctor is in

I don't see why Little Mermaid needs a refurb. It isn't outdated, it tells the story, and is a fun ride. Not to mention there is never a line.

I must agree that the end is rushed, though. The way the ride is designed just focuses more on the fun, light-hearted aspects of the story and not the real villain conflict. I don't think you could change that without completely redesigning the ride.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

As a sailor for King Triton I can assure you that those numbers are very close to what the attraction can do.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I would like to see more updates done to Mermaid. Haven't ridden it in person yet, but from all of the videos I have seen, the ending is very rushed. Ursula turns Ariel human, She and Eric keep stalling their kiss, Ursula is "conveniently disposed of" while Ariel and Eric kiss. Then that's it. No battle with Ursula. Most of the dark rides had some sort of conflicting run in with the main antagonist, but here, you don't get that.
    that is my main beef with the ride. the ending feels totally rushed.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo123 View Post
    that is my main beef with the ride. the ending feels totally rushed.
    To be fair, that's a heritage it shares with the other dark rides. Snow White - she's dead! She's not? Wait, lighting? Out you go. Pinocchio - who's this weird blue chick? Wait! He's alive! He's a puppet of a boy? Er.

It's just not something they've conveyed well consistently. I mean, I love it, but... Toad?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast