Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

MiceAge Update, Mermaid and Alice

Glad that Mermaid and Alice are ostensibly getting some need refurbishments/upgrades, but not so sure about Mermaid's daily numbers , and the engineering of the Alice fix, as per the update:

Mermaid Fixes

Also planned for a refurbishment this winter is one of DCA’s newest attractions; The Little Mermaid – Ariel’s Undersea Adventure. After this attraction opened to mediocre reviews in 2011, then went under the knife in 2012 to replace the cheesy CGI animation and send Ariel back to the hairdresser, it’s been plugging away in Paradise Pier. Although it rarely has a line longer than 5 minutes, the massive hourly capacity of the Omnimover system means that Mermaid consistently pulls in 2,000 or more riders per hour very reliably for 12 to 15 hour days, for 25,000 or more riders per day.

. . .

It’s those big daily ridership numbers that helped make the case for WDI to go in and close the ride for a second time this winter, as they have more ideas to help with the lighting and overall art direction throughout the ride, particularly with the ride’s big Under The Sea musical production number. TDA’s industrial engineers salivate over the ridership numbers a modern Omnimover like Mermaid can provide a park, so WDI has been given the money for more fixes. Again.

I kinda doubt that Mermaid is pulling in 25,000 per day given that guests don't rush to get on this ride and that during many hours of the day the clamshells aren't being loaded to capacity, i.e. tons of empty calm shell going by. I also don't think that Mermaid is once again being reworked because it is an omnimover ride, but because the Under the Sea scene is pretty lackluster, and many of the ending scene appear to be unfinished, at least to my eyes.

Sure, Mermaid is an omnimover, but it sure isn't being used at full capacity.

Alice Fixes

Also, with regards to shortening Alice's outside track and moving it closer to the building . . . even shortening by half would produce a steep grade and make evacuations unsafe for guests! The outside portion that takes guests up to the second story is able to accomplish the one-story rise in elevation as it is relatively long, making the outside portion shorter would by necessity increase the slope/steepness of the ascent, more work/stress on the motor and unsafe for disembarking during an emergency. So, while I would be happy to hear that Alice is getting a refurb, I'll take this as a rumor as it seems TDA hasn't thought out the engineering involved with the outside track.

Name:  tumblr_ms4e9mx4aC1stc1mvo1_500.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  53.6 KB

The design/engineering is in the curved track, which provides better traction, as well as the length which provides for gentler slope, you can't just put a ramp going up at 45 degrees! They've also changed the track before, adding a second smaller outside portion, this is an older photo but provides a clearer shot of the serpentine nature of the track which is a clever engineering solution to getting guests to the show building area above Toad.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-12-2013 at 08:12 AM.

• The doctor is in

Re: MiceAge Update, Mermaid and Alice

There is already a MiceAge thread on this.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Indiana Scott

I don't really buy that Mermaid soaks up that many people either. I'm sure it could if it were more popular but it just isn't.
    I'm very happy to see more refurbs and enhancements for the older dark rides even though the payback may be minimal.
    To me this suggests Disney management cares at least a little bit about the park as a whole.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    I don't really buy that Mermaid soaks up that many people either. I'm sure it could if it were more popular but it just isn't.
    I'm very happy to see more refurbs and enhancements for the older dark rides even though the payback may be minimal.
    To me this suggests Disney management cares at least a little bit about the park as a whole.
    Theoretically, if the wait time was always five minutes, then there would always be guests waiting to board a clamshell, but the reality is that the ride is rarely running at full capacity. I think that another part of Mermaid's problem is that the minimalist paradise pier theme doesn't work too well, and it's easy to walk past the ride.

With regards to the Viva Navidad! promotion, that area of paradise pier has always been sparsely populated as well, seems like away to lure guests to this area of DCA.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    I do. I've sat out in front and eaten lunch and watched. It's a people eater - it's what omnimovers *do*. The provided figure is an average, and it's believable. In my experience when there is a decent crowd in DCA, there tends to be a steady backlog leading to a solid and fairly stable few minutes wait *most of the day*. That means a near full day where the ride's quite likely operating at the highest ridership and capacity in the park.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

So very glad the Fantasyland dark rides are getting makeovers. Toad, Alice and Pinocchio need them the most.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

I hope they don't ruin the Fantasyland rides.

Mermaid can only be improved, really.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    I hope they don't ruin the Fantasyland rides.
    If they completely remodel Mr. Toad I will be very upset. Those rides don't need fancy effects to be popular and it's obvious seeing that on any given day you wait in line for either Mr. Toad or Peter Pan.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• a wind to shake the stars

I'm excited for the refurbs on the dark rides. Remember what they did with Sleeping Beauty's Castle? It'd be nice to get some fresh life into those rides, as nostalgic as they are.

And yes, Mermaid really does eat that many people. As someone else mentioned, if the wait is 3 minutes at any time during the day then it's indeed doing the 25k riders number.

• Sock Puppet

I found it very interesting that the update said absolutely nothing about the Monstropolis expansion in the backlot. Obviously construction HAS NOT begun backstage as was reported and Im taking Miceages quietness on the subject as a sign that they got this one completely wrong. They fanned the flames all over the Internet and it will be interesting to see if they own up to it. So far, nothing that ANYONE has said about this addition has been true. From October announcements to construction beginning, nothing has panned out.
    I guess at least the online community will be happy this isn't happening and DLR will be getting nothing new for years.

I also refuse to Believe the Little Mermaid gets that many guests. Everytime I get on it is completely empty. You never see The Haunted Mansion empty and they both use the omnivmover

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo123 View Post
    I also refuse to Believe the Little Mermaid gets that many guests. Everytime I get on it is completely empty. You never see The Haunted Mansion empty and they both use the omnivmover
    Mermaid doesn't have an artificial line extension underground where the above ground wait becomes distorted. You're not waiting on the Ominmover - you're waiting on the elevators.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

On the busiest days Haunted Mansion can get between 31,000 and 33,000 riders per day.

On the busiest days, and with one fewer operating hour at DCA, Mermaid can get 25,000 riders per day. It shows up on the Efficiency reports as one of the most efficient rides at the Resort.

If Mermaid had the steady open-to-close demand that Mansion Holiday did, they could be getting 30,000 riders per day on the busiest days of the year (Christmas). But for now, Mermaid is maxing out around 25,000 riders per day on peak days.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    And yes, Mermaid really does eat that many people. As someone else mentioned, if the wait is 3 minutes at any time during the day then it's indeed doing the 25k riders number.
    Mathematically, the wait has to be 3 minutes (or any minimum amount) ALL day. Not just at any one moment.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo123 View Post
    When you are there to observe the Haunted Mansion you are only there because an elevator just let out 75 other people. When the Haunted Mansion sends empty buggies (and it happens a lot), you are not there to observe it because you are still in a crowded elevator waiting to get there.

If an Omnimover goes empty in the loading area, is anyone there to see it?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast