Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Should Disney Parks close on Thanksgiving Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    What I don't get is the insistence that I MUST see my family on that day. I see my family every other day of the year, what makes a Thursday in November all that much more important? Would I like to spend the day with them? Sure. But in all honesty, it is just another Thursday.

It's the same crap with valentines day. I tell my significant other that I love her every day of the year. Yet I get crap when we don't do something on Feb. 14th. Cause I have to tell her that I love her extra on that day while spending excessive amounts of money to do so...?
    Very well put.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Very well put.
    No it just means he or she doesn't get it.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    You know me better than that. When have I ever been agreeable to making things easier on Walmart?
    Just sayin....might be easier for Walmart to prove they're a "vacation destination" than an AP packed theme park in Orange County California

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Just sayin....might be easier for Walmart to prove they're a "vacation destination" than an AP packed theme park in Orange County California
    One more quip like that and no pumpkin pie for you, sir.

• formerly very helpful

I used to work at a newspaper which, due to the nature of the industry, was open every day, including Thanksgiving and Christmas. Funny thing is, it was often hard to work on those days, since many employees really wanted to work them. Some to avoid their families. Some for the overtime. Whatever the reason, not everyone wanted the day off.
    No business should be told when they can and can't be open. As a consumer, if you want to influence their decision and encourage them not to be open on those holidays, don't give them any business on those days. If they make less money on those days than they have to pay out in salaries and operating expanses, they won't be open on holidays anymore.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    One more quip like that and no pumpkin pie for you, sir.
    I am the pickiest pumpkin pie eater you will ever meet......undercook it by even a minute and I will find it inedible. Overcook it by even a few seconds and I will need a tub and a half of cool whip in order to choke down a thin slice.

Cook it just right and I can eat several big slices of it sans whip cream

• -

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    No business should be told when they can and can't be open.
    Within reason, yes. However just because the day happens to be someone's holiday is not a good enough reason to force a business to close.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I used to work at a newspaper which, due to the nature of the industry, was open every day, including Thanksgiving and Christmas. Funny thing is, it was often hard to work on those days, since many employees really wanted to work them. Some to avoid their families. Some for the overtime. Whatever the reason, not everyone wanted the day off.
    No business should be told when they can and can't be open. As a consumer, if you want to influence their decision and encourage them not to be open on those holidays, don't give them any business on those days. If they make less money on those days than they have to pay out in salaries and operating expanses, they won't be open on holidays anymore.
    I too once worked for a newspaper and yeah, there were always more people willing to work than slots available

Loved working the tiny Christmas Day edition....the giant, almost-as-big-as-a Sunday Thanksgiving paper wasn't nearly as much fun

• Minion

ORGOCH: It's just like livin' in a haunted house all yer sorry life an' then bein' expected ta celebrate Halloween on October 31st. Don't folks know there ain't nothin' special 'bout October 31st when yer already livin' like it's Halloween all the dang time! It's the same with Thanksgivin'. Ain't nothin' special 'bout it fer me--specially when ya has ta share it with two looney sisters like mine! Ev'ry year it's the same over-cooked, burned ta a crisp baked buzzard thanks ta Orwen's bad cookin'!!!!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I remember when stores were closed or had limited hours on Sundays. And you know what? It was better back then. People had nowhere to go so it forced families to be together instead of always separated which having establishments open on Sundays ultimately created.

Today, mom is out shopping for clothes, dad is at the Home Depot, the kids are hanging out with their friends at the mall. Families are no longer forced to stay together like they once were. And I'm not so sure this is a good thing.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Good points.

• Former Churro Jockey

But what about all the families who must suffer the absence of mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters ?

A lot of people get paid time and a half to work on those dates, so there are some people who actually like it and just celebrate with their family on a different date. It's not really up to the state to dictate that families must be together on a certain day.

There are also a lot of people who are alone who have no family, or whose family is too far away to visit, who very much enjoy going to a place like Disneyland on Thanksgiving or Christmas (or both).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

•   
    • Minion

I agree with those who say Thanksgiving is not an obligation. Some don't observe it at all (like my family), some observe it other ways. The businesses that are open on Thanksgiving get good traffic, so there are obviously a lot of folks who don't want to be forced to stay home.

Those who want to see their families generally do so, without a special day.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm always against the government telling businesses when to be closed. Heck, many workers want to work that day whether it be for the extra pay or not having a family to celebrate with. The government asking for a business not to make taxes a certain day? Preposterous!!

I know that Thanksgiving in my family is one of the less demanded of holidays. Every family is different on how they celebrate. We've resorted to just meeting up and doing lunch. If some of us don't make it, it's not a big deal. And usually me and my boyfriend end up at Disneyland at the end of the day!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast