Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Should Disney Parks close on Thanksgiving Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    A lot of people get paid time and a half to work on those dates, so there are some people who actually like it and just celebrate with their family on a different date. It's not really up to the state to dictate that families must be together on a certain day.

There are also a lot of people who are alone who have no family, or whose family is too far away to visit, who very much enjoy going to a place like Disneyland on Thanksgiving or Christmas (or both).
    Two very good points!

I recall back in the 70's when I was a young kid and nearly every store (and even most gas stations) were closed on Christmas. The little ma and pa grocery store in my neighborhood stayed open.....the lady who ran it didn't have family living nearby and having the store open was her way of actually enjoying the holiday. Remember she once told me the only things she sold on one Christmas day was beer and batteries.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    Blue Laws went away in the late 18th century. This writer wants to take us back to then..?

Welllllll, actually I remember 'blue laws' and I assure you I wasn't around in the 18th century. When I was a kid all stores were closed on Sunday. Restaurants were open because I remember going out to lunch after church, but that was about it. Disneyland was open on Sundays (I was a 'local' back then), but IIRC 'blue laws' were city laws so it would have been up to Anaheim as to whether they had blue laws & any exceptions.

I can tell you that Sundays were pretty boring 'back then'. Not much to do & no where to go. No movies, no shopping, nada. And it's not like families sat around holding hands and singing 'Kum ba ya' or something because everything was closed. Dads watched sports on TV, moms took naps or relaxed, kids complained that there was nothing to do (LOL). Disneyland was pretty much a 'special occasion' place back then, too. Even for locals it was something special to do once or twice a year, not the 'drop in' place it is now.

Bottom line IMHO is if you don't want to shop on black whatever-day, don't. Let the maniacs, er people, who do go right ahead. And there have ALWAYS been people who have had to work on holidays/weekends, even during 'blue law days'. Hospital personnel, public safety, transportation, etc. If it's super important to you that you don't work on a holiday you need to take that into account when you choose your career. I never had to work a holiday or a weekend due to my career choice, but my husband had to every so often & we just planned our celebrations around his shift.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    No it just means he or she doesn't get it.
    Please explain to me how I "do not get it".

• formerly very helpful

Angry Re: Should Disney Parks close on Thanksgiving Day?

Quote Originally Posted by cbrittneyb View Post
    I know that Thanksgiving in my family is one of the less demanded of holidays. Every family is different on how they celebrate. We've resorted to just meeting up and doing lunch. If some of us don't make it, it's not a big deal. And usually me and my boyfriend end up at Disneyland at the end of the day!
    I'm jealous. I'll spend the day at my brother's place being verbally abused.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    I think he met the part of your post that follows "what I don't get".....
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I remember when stores were closed or had limited hours on Sundays. And you know what? It was better back then. People had nowhere to go so it forced families to be together instead of always separated which having establishments open on Sundays ultimately created.
    Looking at it from a positive person’s perspective, having these business running on Sundays and holidays creates more opportunities to do stuff as a family. Families can go to Disneyland or the movies or clothes shopping or to the zoo or out to lunch together as a family. They don’t have to be cooped up in the house with each person watching a different TV. They can go out and have fun together.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

From a business stand point I completely understand why Walmart and Target and the rest open on Thanksgiving, if people would not get in line and wait 3-4 hours to buy something then they would not open.
    It all goes back to the consumer if they stop going they will close, and good luck telling people not to go.
    Also the people who make the decision are so high up the totem pole they aren't working those days and they really don't care if other people do as long as they can still make their money from all the sales.
    This is going to be the new thing now, open on Thanksgiving evening. Families will just have to plan on lunches instead.
    Besides other people do work on Thanksgiving and Christmas maybe they should let everybody have the holidays off.....think carefully about it, that would mean no more football on those days......So don't football players want to spend time with their families? So let's do it, no more work on Thanksgiving, no football, no stores open.....

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Looking at it from a positive personís perspective, having these business running on Sundays and holidays creates more opportunities to do stuff as a family. Families can go to Disneyland or the movies or clothes shopping or to the zoo or out to lunch together as a family. They donít have to be cooped up in the house with each person watching a different TV. They can go out and have fun together.
    I understand what you are saying. But what the OP is saying is they can't go shopping or go to lunch or Disneyland as a family on thanksgiving or Sundays because their family member is the one working.
    It is the people that have to work that are asking for the places not to be open.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I'm jealous. I'll spend the day at my brother's place being verbally abused.
    You're welcome to come to my house where all I'll do is force you to eat too much and drag out your embarrassing baby pictures/videos* to show your boy- or girlfriend.

Seriously, I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. I wish there WAS something I could do to help. Families can be the pits at times. Hopefully in the future you'll be able to find a better, happier place to celebrate the holidays.

*so you'll have to supply them AND the boy- or girlfriend.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I remember when stores were closed or had limited hours on Sundays. And you know what? It was better back then. People had nowhere to go so it forced families to be together instead of always separated which having establishments open on Sundays ultimately created.

Today, mom is out shopping for clothes, dad is at the Home Depot, the kids are hanging out with their friends at the mall. Families are no longer forced to stay together like they once were. And I'm not so sure this is a good thing.
    You sound French!

wiki thanksgiving, has dates of 1863 and Nov 1941 plus other interesting tidbits.

According to Charles Dickens business were open Christmas Morning for folks to purchase their fresh meat and bread. Everyone is working Christmas Morning from what I read. Sure this is a Thanksgiving thread but someone has always had to sell on the holidays.

• Singing Drinker

Disney used to consider it worth their while to close at least one day a week simply for maintenance and basic park work. Profit drove that out. I can't see them letting go of any of the Holidays unless forced under court order, refused appeal, refused escalation, and refused appeal of escalation. Maybe a few more appeals in there.

It kinda comes down to what we as a society want. Right now, the right of the individual to yell "whee" on the teacups - and the hefty profit Disney makes off them - trumps anything as far as whether you should give any consideration of the effects of the holiday or anything else.

Oh.. and no blue laws? Try buying a shot from a local Anaheim bar at 3 a.m.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

What I don't get is the insistence that I MUST see my family on that day. I see my family every other day of the year, what makes a Thursday in November all that much more important? Would I like to spend the day with them? Sure. But in all honesty, it is just another Thursday.

It's the same crap with valentines day. I tell my significant other that I love her every day of the year. Yet I get crap when we don't do something on Feb. 14th. Cause I have to tell her that I love her extra on that day while spending excessive amounts of money to do so...?
    This post is dripping with cynicism about holidays, and for some people, they are significant, which is why we celebrate them every year. Either for sentimental, religious reasons. For old traditions and making new ones. Seeing people you haven't made time for and realizing: we should do this more often.

That's not always the case, for everyone. Some people don't see their spouse every day and make a special point of doing something special together on Valentine's. Maybe Halloween or Christmas brings out the inner goblin or baker in you. Holidays, in short, aren't just any other day. They don't seem important until you don't have them; ie living abroad as a student and seeing Halloween and Thanksgiving go by without notice.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Very well put.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    No it just means he or she doesn't get it.
    (see above)

Today, mom is out shopping for clothes, dad is at the Home Depot, the kids are hanging out with their friends at the mall. Families are no longer forced to stay together like they once were. And I'm not so sure this is a good thing.
    I agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Good points.
    Jeff, you seem to be agreeable to both sides here.

I think it's clear what I meant now

• -

Quote Originally Posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
    I understand what you are saying. But what the OP is saying is they can't go shopping or go to lunch or Disneyland as a family on thanksgiving or Sundays because their family member is the one working.
    It is the people that have to work that are asking for the places not to be open.
    Again, they are not working the entire day. Plan things around the work shift.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Again, they are not working the entire day. Plan things around the work shift.
    That's not always a simple feat. You're talking about a holiday that tends to feature large, heavy prep meals that a) have multiple guests coming in who may not be up for dinner at 8 a.m. and b) frequently involve trips to someone else's house.

It really boils down to how important do you hold the ability to celebrate a holiday with your family or loved ones should be. Screw the holiday? Sure, make'em work. Holidays are precious? You should be able to be with those close to you.

Oddly enough I come at this from the point of generally detesting holidays. I don't like the way we as a society "celebrate" them. However I do feel you should have the right to celebrate with your family if you wish.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast