Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• world class bilge rat

Re: Should Disney Parks close on Thanksgiving Day?

Are you crazy???!!? Close DL on one of the busiest days of the entire year???

That would mean either reduced bonuses for management or a price increase to maintain the ever-increasing obscenity of executive compensation.

Wonder which one it would be......

Seriously though, I doubt it would be a good idea to force modern families to spend a whole day together. The likely result would be a sudden increase in the population of nearby jails.

•   
    • Minion

Many places have rotating holidays, ie, if you work, say, Thanksgiving, you don't work Christmas. When I worked somewhere that was open every holiday I actually did that...since my family does not recognize Thanksgiving I would always volunteer to work it, enjoy the time and a half pay, and have Christmas off. Some people WANT to work those days.

And for a lot of people, the holidays are stress...lots of money, lots of travel, and perhaps seeing people they don't actually want to be around. If we like our family we usually try to be in touch more than one special day, right?

On a side note. Knott's berry farm has always closed on Christmas Day.
    They seem ok with being closed on what could be their busiest day of the year.
    Yes it started when Mr. & Mrs. Knott owned them, but it still continues even though they are owned by Cedar Fair.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post

Jeff, you seem to be agreeable to both sides here.

I am honestly torn...... Personally, I would like it if more businesses closed on Thanksgiving(voluntarily; I am actually against government mandating something like this{as you very well know}) but I can understand why others may not wish to celebrate the holiday the same way I would like to.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    Blue Laws went away in the late 18th century. This writer wants to take us back to then..?
    Heck, go live in Bergen County in New Jersey. Today.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    I am honestly torn...... Personally, I would like it if more businesses closed on Thanksgiving(voluntarily; I am actually against government mandating something like this{as you very well know}) but I can understand why others may not wish to celebrate the holiday the same way I would like to.
    If you brought me here to show me your real-world debating skills, I'm sorely disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Heck, go live in Bergen County in New Jersey. Today.
    Yea than we wouldn't care if Disneyland was closed on Thanksgiving, it would just be too long a commute to visit anyway.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I remember when stores were closed or had limited hours on Sundays. And you know what? It was better back then. People had nowhere to go so it forced families to be together instead of always separated which having establishments open on Sundays ultimately created.

Today, mom is out shopping for clothes, dad is at the Home Depot, the kids are hanging out with their friends at the mall. Families are no longer forced to stay together like they once were. And I'm not so sure this is a good thing.
    Any kind of forcing is worse than choice. Both economically and spiritually.

Just as no business is forced to be open on Thanksgiving or all Sundays or Saturdays, no business should be forced to be closed on arbitrarily determined days.

And now there will be more businesses opening Thankgiving evening in advance of Black Friday. I won't be attending. In fact, I plan to purchase all gifts this year online. (See how long that lasts.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Welllllll, actually I remember 'blue laws' and I assure you I wasn't around in the 18th century. When I was a kid all stores were closed on Sunday. Restaurants were open because I remember going out to lunch after church, but that was about it. Disneyland was open on Sundays (I was a 'local' back then), but IIRC 'blue laws' were city laws so it would have been up to Anaheim as to whether they had blue laws & any exceptions.

I can tell you that Sundays were pretty boring 'back then'. Not much to do & no where to go. No movies, no shopping, nada. And it's not like families sat around holding hands and singing 'Kum ba ya' or something because everything was closed. Dads watched sports on TV, moms took naps or relaxed, kids complained that there was nothing to do (LOL). Disneyland was pretty much a 'special occasion' place back then, too. Even for locals it was something special to do once or twice a year, not the 'drop in' place it is now.

Bottom line IMHO is if you don't want to shop on black whatever-day, don't. Let the maniacs, er people, who do go right ahead. And there have ALWAYS been people who have had to work on holidays/weekends, even during 'blue law days'. Hospital personnel, public safety, transportation, etc. If it's super important to you that you don't work on a holiday you need to take that into account when you choose your career. I never had to work a holiday or a weekend due to my career choice, but my husband had to every so often & we just planned our celebrations around his shift.
    The original text I had written had the caveat that there are some blue law holdovers, such as no car sales on Sundays in certain places, as well as dry laws that are a holdover from prohibition. But I figured most would recognize that as a whole, they pretty much went away, so I decided to shorten my reply and take that out.

As far as the last paragraph, I completely and wholeheartedly agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Disney used to consider it worth their while to close at least one day a week simply for maintenance and basic park work. Profit drove that out. I can't see them letting go of any of the Holidays unless forced under court order, refused appeal, refused escalation, and refused appeal of escalation. Maybe a few more appeals in there.

It kinda comes down to what we as a society want. Right now, the right of the individual to yell "whee" on the teacups - and the hefty profit Disney makes off them - trumps anything as far as whether you should give any consideration of the effects of the holiday or anything else.

Oh.. and no blue laws? Try buying a shot from a local Anaheim bar at 3 a.m.
    So wait--you don't really like that we focus on individual rights?

As I explained above, there was actually language in what I originally wrote that recognized that there are holdover blue laws and holdovers from prohibition, but that pretty much blue laws as a whole went away a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    That's not always a simple feat. You're talking about a holiday that tends to feature large, heavy prep meals that a) have multiple guests coming in who may not be up for dinner at 8 a.m. and b) frequently involve trips to someone else's house.

It really boils down to how important do you hold the ability to celebrate a holiday with your family or loved ones should be. Screw the holiday? Sure, make'em work. Holidays are precious? You should be able to be with those close to you.

Oddly enough I come at this from the point of generally detesting holidays. I don't like the way we as a society "celebrate" them. However I do feel you should have the right to celebrate with your family if you wish.
    No one is forced to work on a holiday so they can't celebrate with their family.

It's funny that people only complain about this when it is A) people who make a low wage, and/or B) it's not something they need.

No one talks about the police, fire, doctors, paramedics that have to work on holidays, nor do they feel bad for the gas station attendants or grocers that stay open. But if in principle someone thinks that people shouldn't have to work on holidays, then no one should. But the people that believe this think some should, so then it just becomes a game of what people think is needed, which isn't a principled way to go about this.

There are lots of occupations where you don't have to work on a holiday.

• Rock Star Minion

When I worked in retail, holidays were paid time-and-a-half. So, for part-time, I was going to want to work a time-and-a-half day more often than a regular-pay day.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
    Yea than we wouldn't care if Disneyland was closed on Thanksgiving, it would just be too long a commute to visit anyway.
    There are probably closer ones. I just know that one from a friend who lives there.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

If you brought me here to show me your real-world debating skills, I'm sorely disappointed.
    Nope.

I already got my "fair enough" from you today

• Singing Drinker

Well, not "forced" as in "you can always go try to find a job in the next three days that will pay you enough by the end of the month to make rent, or you can work the holiday". That's not explicitly forced.

I'm 100% behind those necessary for civilization to continue be required to work on a holiday. Without them, house fires would be town fires. Small fights would be riots. The cost to society is too high... and to compare that level of service to society as a whole with a Disneyland ride operator is absolutely comedic. But that's also why those jobs frequently come with "no strike" clauses and all and Disney jobs don't.

I'm not even honestly on board 100% with requiring the parks to close on holidays. I just want the workers who want the time with their families to be guaranteed that right without facing recriminations from their employers. In other words, just as much as the parks should have the right to be open, the employees should have the right not to work it. The park should at that point make it attractive enough to the employees to do it willingly and without coercion.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Nope.

I already got my "fair enough" from you today
    Fair enough (again)

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Fair enough (again)
    Right back at you (seriously, you rock )

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast