Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Should Disney Parks close on Thanksgiving Day?

A recent story in the LA times got me thinking.....

The cure for retailers ruining Thanksgiving: A federal blue law - latimes.com

If a federal blue law were to be enacted banning retailers from opening their doors on the last Thursday of November should or would that law include theme parks
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: Should Disney Parks close on Thanksgiving Day?

I would think Disney would figure out how to get a special exception. There are a significant enough amount of people who prefer to spend holidays outside of their home that it is apparently worth it to Disney to keep their doors open on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• -

Within reason, neither Disneyland nor any other retailer should be told when and when they cannot be open for business.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    There are a significant enough amount of people who prefer to spend holidays outside of their home that it is apparently worth it to Disney to keep their doors open on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    All the more reason (according to the LA times) for them to be closed.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Within reason, neither Disneyland nor any other retailer should be told when and when they cannot be open for business.
    But what about all the families who must suffer the absence of mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters ?

What Big D said.

If we didn't go to businesses on Thanksgiving, they wouldn't open. The reason Disneyland and other businesses open that day is because we demand it.

These kinds of Op/Eds annoy me. It's full of sentimentality, half-truths, and severely lacking in logic.

Lots of us remember the days when stores weren’t open on Thanksgiving or Christmas. Heck, plenty of us remember when no one was open on Sunday. And somehow, America survived — both consumers and capitalists.

Now, some have written that they don’t enjoy the holidays much, that family time is overrated. To them, I say: Get a grip. Get a better family. Get a hobby. Get out and take a walk. Read a book. Unplug. Undress. I don’t care.

But for everyone else, go ahead and call me Don Quixote, but I’d like to tilt at this all-shopping-all-the-time world we live in now. How about we just say no?

...Radical? Yes. But it’s also a bipartisan no-brainer...I’m telling you, the votes are there. All we need is a champion or two.

So how about it, Ted Cruz and Nancy Pelosi: Are you with me?

Blue Laws went away in the late 18th century. This writer wants to take us back to then..?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    But what about all the families who must suffer the absence of mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters ?
    They're not gone the entire day. Plan the meal around the work shift. My family did that when I was in college and working on holidays. What's the big deal?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    [SIZE=2][FONT=arial]
    [/I]
    Blue Laws went away in the late 18th century. This writer wants to take us back to then..?
    Isn't taking us back to the late 18th century (give or take) what Disneyland is mostly all about

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

They're not gone the entire day. Plan the meal around the work shift. My family did that when I was in college and working on holidays. What's the big deal?
    No big deal actually. I am just kinda playing the devils advocate here until someone who actually supports this idea can take over the argument.

• #bringevilback

I work in a hospital...we don't close for holidays so we simply plan our family gatherings around them. While Disneyland is not comparable to a hospital in terms of necessity, I have no problem with it being open on holidays. I am not a fan of the changing of Black Friday to thanksgiving afternoon, but that's more for personal reasons as I put family time over shopping and miss a good Black Friday rush, with camping out and running from store to store, finishing ith a nice breakfast and nap...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think places people go on vacation would be exempt.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I think places people go on vacation would be exempt.
    So a Walmart with two dozen RV's in their parking lot with license plates from at least two states away might gain an exemption?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Jeff, stores are closed after dark and on Sundays in France, yet Disneyland Paris is open whatever hours they want. So if the company can get through FRENCH red tape, I'm quite certain they would get an exemption here. Where Disney has even more clout. And where there is a more pro-business model. And where there is virtually zero chance of closing businesses on Thanksgiving.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    So a Walmart with two dozen RV's in their parking lot with license plates from at least two states away might gain an exemption?
    You know me better than that. When have I ever been agreeable to making things easier on Walmart?

• The Tomorrowland One

What I don't get is the insistence that I MUST see my family on that day. I see my family every other day of the year, what makes a Thursday in November all that much more important? Would I like to spend the day with them? Sure. But in all honesty, it is just another Thursday.

It's the same crap with valentines day. I tell my significant other that I love her every day of the year. Yet I get crap when we don't do something on Feb. 14th. Cause I have to tell her that I love her extra on that day while spending excessive amounts of money to do so...?

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast