Spring Break Paranoia

I was planning a trip to Disneyland the week of march 10-14. I was hoping I would be just ahead of the Spring Break crowds, but now I'm not so sure. Someone I know told em they think it will be really busy that week for Spring break. I also checked some school calendars, and while many of them have their spring break scheduled the following week, there were a few that have spring break the week we want to go.

Any advice? Should it probably be pretty low on crowds and I shouldn't worry, or am I running a pretty big risk and maybe want to reschedule? I'm also concerned about a lot of attractions being down while we are there. I don't mind a few here and there, but it sounds like there may be more than a few down...

I'm just so bummed, I wanted to be there on my daughter's birthday. :-( I know I've asked about this before and the answer I got was that it should be alright, so sorry to bring it up again, haha!

Disney trip planning stress is consuming me.

Another question really quick, how long can you get away with dressing up? I read somewhere that the cut off is age nine, and that is partly why I want to take my daughter now before she passes that age. Someone I know told me I shouldn't worry about that because you can dress up a lot longer than age nine? I'm just curious because if that is the case, I may be more open to putting the trip off a couple years from now. So instead of an 8th birthday trip, an age ten or eleven birthday trip.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Spring Break Paranoia

Best to just go expecting crushing crowds, long lines and all the negatives that follow......then, if somehow they don't appear you'll be pleasantly surprised
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

It will technically be spring break, but the "peak" of spring break season usually is the week before and the week after Easter, which is late in 2014 (April 20). So while there will be some crowds you'll probably miss the mad crush.

As for rides being down, there are no confirmed refurb schedules but the word on the street is they need to be done before March 20 so they are trying to get them refurbed well before then, so you shouldn't have more than 1 or 2 down the week you're there.

Thank you guys! That eases my worries a bit. And yes, lowering expectations is always helpful, lol
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• Minion

Well, it's "common knowledge" that there's no off-season any more so make sure you know the typical drill regardless -- be at the gates *before* they open, use any and all early entry times you can, strategize ride order (RSR, Peter Pan, E-tickets in the early AM, for example), become a FastPass ninja, three words: single rider lines, etc. And keep in mind that even if it's crowded, spring break is merely crowded. Grad Nite is crowded *and* unruly, so there's that small mercy.

• Selfie Expert

Spring break in AZ is March, and a lot of Arizonans vacation in DL... I, personally, would try to hit late February or very early March.

I have managed to hit the mysterious off season in late January-February, April, and September and early October, all within the last year, with very low crowds and walk on waits. Those times you risk hitting refurbs, though, plus shortened park hours so it's give/take. Whether or not someone labels it as "off season" is pointless, there are times of higher and lower crowds that are predictable, just never expect a ghost town.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Totally understand the planning anxiety. The reality is, you can buy all the books, ask all the smart questions, check the calendar, assess all the conditions, make all the "right" choices and still encounter unanticipated circumstances...rides that are down, soggy (or scorchin') weather, crowds or special events. The trick with March is that you might be able to avoid So Cal Spring Break, but the adjacent states don't tend to align with that.

As for the dressing in costume, my advice would be to not let it drive too many of your decisions about when you go. Most of the costumed kids I've seen in the parks seem to start shedding them in favor of more comfortable clothes pretty early in the day anyway.

Whether you go now or 2 years from now should really be decided based on when you think you're all ready to go. I went for the first time when I was 7 (decades ago!); and cliche tho' it sounds, it was absolutely magical. It seemed like kind of a perfect age -- old enough to tromp around all day without crying, but still young enough to be awestruck and enraptured by absolutely everything. My personal opinion would be if you can swing it now (and it sounds like you're already on the planning path), go for it. And don't 2nd guess yourself too much. It's true, these days there will be crowds now matter when you go. If you can avoid those maximum density weeks, all the better. But if you allow enough days to see it all, even crowds are manageable.

Hope some of that helps. You'll have a blast no matter when you go, and no matter what you wear.

• The doctor is in

Last year I went from March 12-16 and it was perfect. There were some Spring Break crowds, but it still wasn't overly crowded. The only college attire I noticed was Arizona State and Brigham Young. I think the longest we waited for any ride during the whole week was 35-40min. The nighttime shows, like Fireworks and Fantasmic, ran nightly and the park was open until midnight each night. DCA was open until 10 or 11 each night.

However, that was before the DCA construction was finished. I don't know what effect Cars Land will have on the Spring Break crowds so even in early March you might have some additional traffic I didn't experience last year. Even with that said I think you would be perfectly fine during the days you are planning. Just be prepared for rain and cooler weather because it is a big possibility. It poured rain on the last day of my March trip.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.