Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Wishing upon a star....

Christmas at Disney

I am worried about the crowds on 12/26-12/28. We are going these 3 days because it is my hubby's bday on 12/26. We are surprising him by flying out on 12/25. This is his 40th.

Are there ever years when crowds aren't that bad? Are they the types of crowds where you can't walk without being crushed?

I am interested in shows. How early should I arrive to line up for shows?

Any advice on how to best navigate this time of year and make it a great 40th birthday trip? I am pretty scared of the crowd issue. Not enough to deny DH this special birthday or cancel the plane tickets.

• Singing Drinker

Re: Christmas at Disney

It is going to be crowded. End of story. Barring a massive natural disaster and severe rain, you are going to be seeing insane crowd levels, likely park closures due to attendance levels, elevated waits across the resort etc.

I do not believe this period has been an "ok" period to attend attendance wise in decades. You are looking at not only the standard surge of crowds but also a larger than usual surge in brand new APs taking their shiny gifts out for test runs.

If you are referring to WOC, Fantasmic, etc., you might want to consider buying one of the 'premium dining/dessert' packages to ensure seeing the show, or just be OK with dedicating 1.5-2 hours before showtime to simply holding a spot. You won't be guaranteed a good one - there will be people showing up at open and rushing to NOS simply to grab rail spots for evening Fantasmic, and as soon as they are allowed doing the same for the fireworks.

Go with the attitude that you are mostly there to people watch, and only expect to get a very limited number of things done in a given day. As to how best to navigate, may I suggest light sedatives?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Wishing upon a star....

Thank you for the honest answers.

I hope we are still able to have fun.

I got a World of Color dinner package.

Do you think 2 hours before the parade is enough time for a bench and then just staying there for the fireworks 2 hours later?

I've been to both recent 24-hour events and New Year's Eve so, yes, it's possible to have fun in a jam-packed park. Anyway, even "off-season" can have crowds so nowadays it's good to know the typical drill to maximize time efficiency regardless -- be at the gates *before* they open, use any and all early entry times you can, strategize ride order (RSR, Peter Pan, E-tickets in the early AM, for example), become a FastPass ninja, three words: single rider lines, etc.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

The crowds that time of year are insane. Even the rain won't be enough to scare them away at the time you are going.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    The crowds that time of year are insane. Even the rain won't be enough to scare them away at the time you are going.
    That is somewhat untrue. In 2009 in rained during the first week of Christmas break and the crowds were very light. We got to walk on a lot of rides, and we even got the stretching room of HMH to ourselves in the middle of the day. However, this caused the next week to be even more jam packed with people who postponed their visit.

Same with my past visits last year. Whenever it rained crowds were pretty much nonexistent. Also I rarely go for Holidays, but when I went for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day, crowds were also very light. So I really think it's a hit or miss. Even when it is crowded, it's very possible to have a great time

• Blew By You

Quite crowded. There's almost always a day when the park gets over-crowded and it makes the news: "Disneyland closes gates" and people get interviewed about not being able to get in. About three years ago, I took my daughter on that particular day and surprisingly we had a great time. It was very crowded but my strategy was to stay in Disneyland, and even then stayed in just two lands, Fantasyland and Frontierland, since they were both connected by the Thunder Mountain walkway. We also entered via Monorail to avoid the security tent crowds and walking down Main Street. This may not work for you but you can come up with a plan that will work better for you. Too bad that a day at Disneyland has to be battle planned like D-Day.

• The doctor is in

With those dates all I have to say is good luck.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Minion

The 2014 Rose Bowl teams and their fans will be welcomed to DIsneyland on the 26th. The various bands that will be in the parade will perform, thus their performers and families will be in the park the 27-29. It is going to be crazy packed. ANd like every other year, we will be there. Be advised, rain rarely slows crowds down this week. (It does the week before and after the 1st, but not the week between Christmas and NYE.

If USC is in the game, the crowds will be slightly less.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Our first trip to DL was from December 26th thru the 28th in 2009. We felt like cattle most of the time. We have learned from this and will no longer spend money to go to DL during the park's busy time. It also rained the last day we were there, and that was no help. We still had fun, but the magic is mostly gone when you are shoulder to shoulder.

• Hooterville, USA

You can have fun no matter how crowded it is. I wouldn't even go if I thought we wouldn't have a great time!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    The 2014 Rose Bowl teams and their fans will be welcomed to DIsneyland on the 26th. The various bands that will be in the parade will perform, thus their performers and families will be in the park the 27-29. It is going to be crazy packed. ANd like every other year, we will be there. Be advised, rain rarely slows crowds down this week. (It does the week before and after the 1st, but not the week between Christmas and NYE.

If USC is in the game, the crowds will be slightly less.
    What does that mean?

• Nutty about Disney parks

Going the week between Christmas and New Years sounds like suicide to me.

I would highly recommend making reservations for all the places you plan to dine inside of the parks. Also get to the parks early as you can and if you need to leave that park for any particular reason (even to go back to your hotel) don't plan on getting back in for the rest of the day. In other words, if you plan to do Fantasmic and WOC you might wanna plan to have to stay in one park all day. Otherwise you might not be able to reenter that park later in the day if it reaches capacity.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Indiana Scott

That is the busiest time of the year with more than 70,000 guests. Disneyland Attendance Info - Daily Attendance / Queue Length - The Disneyland Linkage
    IMHO it's just not worth going to DLR when it's that crowded. You'll spend all day in lines and won't get to see much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast