•   

Cast member Recast during training

hey
    Last edited by dingodyno; 11-16-2013 at 05:51 AM. Reason: delete

• Production Designer

Re: Cast member Recast during training

It's usually not a good idea in any job position (Disney or not) to say you don't think you will do well... especially within the first week. That tells management that you don't like to be challenged and they may second guess on why they hired you. Remember, you are replaceable. Granted you may not like the current position, but if you keep at it you will be able to move up. Especially in Vacation planning (which is essentially a sales position). There are A LOT of people wanting to get into the Disney company. Hopefully they will give you another position... but it's all on management's decision.

•   

yeahhh
    Last edited by dingodyno; 11-16-2013 at 05:52 AM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    It's usually not a good idea in any job position (Disney or not) to say you don't think you will do well... especially within the first week.
    Good advice.

It's also not a good idea to post information on social media that would allow any Human Resources department (Disney or not) to easily narrow down who you are (e.g. hire-in date range, quit date-range, manager's gender, areas of interest, etc.).

To the OP's question, I think that continuing to look for work elsewhere might be a good idea.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-16-2013 at 03:11 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by dingodyno View Post
    on day 3 i wasnt really feeling the position and asked to be recasted because i didnt think i was goin to do well in it, so the manager of the department told me that they will put in the paper to do so but there might not be any positions left to recast me so he told me to hang on to my Disney ID and they would give me a call back soon
    Seriously? Day three and you decided that the smart thing to do, would be to tell the boss that you 'weren't feeling the position'?

As with previous advice left by others... I'd recommend that you start looking elsewhere. You blew it.

When someone says; "they'll give you a call back", that usually means; "good luck to you, we'll never give you a call back"

• Minion

By the time you get to the third day of OJT there's already been a full week or more of training and "on-boarding" completed. You've been to a full day of Traditions, you went to a full day of Welcome To Park Ops, you went to 4 hours of Our California Story, got an overview of your department, etc. Trainers were scheduled into shifts with you, supplies were ordered for you, costumes were pulled and issued, nametags and ID cards made for you, etc., etc.

Disney already spent a lot of money getting you ready to go and into your OJT. Telling the manager you "weren't really feeling it" in the middle of your OJT week isn't a good career move, to be honest with you.

dingodyno,

you might get a call back, otherwise they would have asked for your ID back. the trainer may have had the same thought but didn't want to cut you yet. being honest about it is better than going through the full training, getting scheduled then bailing on them or getting fired. that would have been burning a bridge.

• ^_~.

Three days generally isn't enough time to figure out whether a position is right for you or not. Beginning any new job is a huge adjustment, and it can take several weeks to adjust to a new environment, new responsibilities, and new co-workers and management. It's perfectly normal to feel like you're in over your head at first, or that the job isn't going to work out, but if you hang in there, you might find it's the best job you've ever had!You might not, of course, but only time will tell.
    I definitely agree with other posters that it's never a wise career move to tell your company that after three days of orientation, you'd rather be put somewhere else because you don't think you'd do a good job there. For one thing, confidence is key to job success. No employer wants to hear that their employee has decided to throw in the towel before their actual job even begins because that employee has already made up his or her mind that they're going to do a bad job. That's definitely not going to get you far in the workforce.

Also, one thing a lot of people don't realize is that changing positions within a job isn't something a lot of companies just do upon request, especially if you're a brand-new hire. They hired you into a specific position for a reason, whether it be your skill set or the company's availability. You can't usually just request to move to another department, especially if there is no current opening in that department. In my experience, if you want to move, you first work your hardest at the position you currently have. Let people see that you have a good attitude and a strong work ethic, and wait and see if a position in your desired department opens up. Then when you apply for the position, people will be able to see all of the hard work you've done, and good things you have already brought to the table, and will be more likely to hire you into the new position (assuming you qualify). I don't know how Disney works specifically, but that's how people moved from department to department where I have worked.

I hope everything works well for you. Best case scenario, you get the job you want, and have a great time. Worst case, at the very least you can let this be a learning experience.