• Blew By You

That ol' Disneyland spirit

has taken a beatdown recently. The new DAS card, the news about the CM Christmas party cancelled, Toys for Tots program lagging in donations, the neverending talk about making a Christmas party a ticketed event. And the Teflon on Disney seems to be working better than ever. Getting back to the ol' spirit is proving more difficult this year. In the scheme of things though, this ought not be a difficulty or a concern. We're doing well, have a good family thing going, a good job, etc. Just feel that Disney is getting too "big for its britches".
    Rant over.

• Greetings, Program!

Re: That ol' Disneyland spirit

Ironic isn't it? Walt has built a company that is now trying to kill the spirit that he stood for.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• The doctor is in

I don't think you can necessarily include the replacement of the GAC as ruining the "good ol' Disney spirit." It was a program that was abused and taken advantage of so the company updated it. Period.

As for everything else, it is unfortunate that they are straying away from the Christmas spirit and making it all about money. But that's the name of the game these days, isn't it?
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

•   

How is DAS is ruining the Disneyland spirit?

• Donald's #1 Fan

The DAS card thing is the best move management has done in years. Finally!

The rest of your complaints...well, yeah

• 2013-14 Premium APer

The DAS program has no effect on my enjoyment of the park because I've never had to personally utilize it. I did visit the parks some years ago with my Sister in Law's family and at the time she had a broken leg, we were able to go as a huge family (we're talking about 8 people IIRC) on all the rides with front of the line privileges. But that was a one-time thing.

As for the "Disney Spirit" I've often said that if Walt were still alive he probably would not have gone for many of the changes in the entire Disney company. I seriously doubt Walt would have partnered with Lucas and Marvel. Henson yes, but I don't think that what I know of Walt he would have approved of Star Wars and the Marvel Super-Heroes.

Then again, what do I know. He died a couple years before I was born.

BUT the thing is he did leave a legacy that seems to be eroding year in and year out. THe parking fees are outrageous, the single day one park ticket is way too high, and the state of several areas of both parks (though DCA not so much anymore) is pathetic.

I always think back to the opening speech for DL and I try to envision how the current management is adhering to that statement, and sadly most days I don't think they are. That said, I think that there are people in place (i.e. Lasseter and the Pixar folks) who DO understand Walt's spirit and are actively trying to keep it alive.

It's the internet and forums like MiceChat that are killing the Disneyland spirit.

Twenty-four hours a day non-stop complaining.
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 11-17-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Removed personal attack.

• Not the Hawkguy

The DAS comment moved you from a good post to needless complaining.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Usul831 View Post
    It's the internet and forums like MiceChat that are killing the Disneyland spirit.

Twenty-four hours a day non-stop complaining.

Yet you are a member of this board and it is is you who are contributing to it just by this post alone.
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 11-17-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Removed personal attack.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

MiceChat keeps Disneyland close to my heart, when I cannot be there in person.

Believe me, if I thought this place was as bad as some posters claim, I'd doubt, I'd spend as much time here as I do.

I have always appreciated the honest opinions of everyone here, both on the positive side, and the negative side. I can then make up my mind for myself, having heard both sides of every issue, and over these many years, I believe we have discussed every issue.

I'm not sure I understand how those disparate puzzle pieces equate a diminished spirit at Disneyland.

Honestly, I think that spirit has always been in the hands of the people who come to Disneyland, not the corporation who runs it. I think it's fair to say that most of us have very special feelings about the place, a sense of nostalgia and magic and childlike joy. But that's not something they built -- that's something we create, something we bring to the experience.

We live in a very different world than the one in which DL was originally built -- to expect the same experience is like expecting schools to be the same as they were in 1955, movies, families... The same challenges -- economic, cultural, social, technological -- that have impacted the world we live in can't help but complicate the dynamic at Disneyland. But the minute you give them ownership of your joy, of your Disney spirit is the minute it'll evaporate.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by emwhysee View Post
    I'm not sure I understand how those disparate puzzle pieces equate a diminished spirit at Disneyland.

Honestly, I think that spirit has always been in the hands of the people who come to Disneyland, not the corporation who runs it. I think it's fair to say that most of us have very special feelings about the place, a sense of nostalgia and magic and childlike joy. But that's not something they built -- that's something we create, something we bring to the experience.

We live in a very different world than the one in which DL was originally built -- to expect the same experience is like expecting schools to be the same as they were in 1955, movies, families... The same challenges -- economic, cultural, social, technological -- that have impacted the world we live in can't help but complicate the dynamic at Disneyland. But the minute you give them ownership of your joy, of your Disney spirit is the minute it'll evaporate.
    Very well put! Our Disneyland experience is what WE make it, not what TDA tries to make it.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Selfie Expert

1. The DAS program seems to be a success

2. The Christmas event being ticketed is still a rumor, and is not occurring this year as far as I've heard.

3. The CM party didn't occur last year either did it?

I guess I choose to continue to keep a positive spirit with Disney, and have found myself enjoying every trip there and anxiously awaiting the next. Much like Christmas Spirit, it is what you make it to be. I'm sorry your's has been tarnished!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Usul831 View Post
    I think you are onto it. It's the internet. DL is still the Happiest Place on Earth.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.