Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Star Tours, wow!

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    In version one, everyone is involved with the story - you're part of the crew that's stuck on this. "We're all in it together".

In version two, you're not even a character in the story - you're an extra for the one person selected. If the Empire catches you, they won't care. You're extras. You have no stake in the outcome over than "I sure hope we survive being stuck in a cabin with the jerk from the Rebellion". You - the average rider - are just there to watch the show. Previously you were at least stuck with an insane captain together with everyone else - now, again, you're just an extra in someone else's adventure.
    But everyone is in the cabin together going through the same thing...all that's changed is the cause of the chaos, not the stakes. If there's a spy in your car and a bunch of gangsters come out to come get him, you're going to be just as scared as the guy they're after being in the same car as him and all.

Yeah, sorry Bog, but I'm not really getting your position here.

In ST1 and ST2, the riders play the same role: Tourist on a ride that goes haywire.
    In ST2, one of the riders gets given a role as a spy. But all the other riders remain tourists.

So, when you say that the riders play extras in ST2, but not ST1, I don't see it. You're playing extras in both, you're still "part of the crew that stuck on this." as you put it.

Sure, giving someone the role of the Spy makes them special. It also gives roles to the entire group they came in with (as the people who thought they knew their friend, but just found out that they didn't know something major). However, even with only 4-5 people having 'named' roles, everyone else is still caught up in the middle of everything, and, by the end, you've all gone through an experience of the Empire chasing you down, of receiving a message from an insurgent leader, and, eventually, joining the rebellion.

I'm pretty sure C3PO says something like, "We are all members of the rebel alliance now."

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Star Tours worked on its own. Everything you needed to know was right there. With Star Tours: The Adventures Continue you have to understand more than what is presented. There is no set up for this spy that us, all Imperial subjects, are suddenly smuggling and willing to die to protect. Failure to complete the objective also helped the resolve the stationary nature of simulators (the same reason Mission: SPACE became a simulator of a simulator).

As for the spy, there is a different level of engagement. Yes, we've been volunteered to be traitors to the Galactic Empire, but that is an assumed positive. There is little sharing of the "something has gone terribly wrong." The what goes wrong used to be the pilot, now it is this other person being a lousy spy. Yes the audience gets the common experience, but it is different. It'd be like going to a concert where the singer sings directly to one audience member the entire time. Yes, everybody still hears the songs, but it is a distinctly different than the singer not singing to any specific person.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Are you trying to tell me that the visuals to Indiana Jones are secondary to the attraction? Indiana Jones has some of the most impressive effects and immersive visuals ever. The visual effects are simply amazing. The Indy vehicles make you part of the action instead of slowly floating by it on a boat. The shaking on Indiana Jones is not a replacement of immersive environment, it supplements it. They work together, with Pirates you get a impressive sets. With Indiana Jones you get action and impressive sets.

Attachment 33696

As far as Star Tours goes, I think being a Star Wars fan increases the enjoyment from the attraction. However the Vader, Hoth, Naboo sequence is by far the best. I also like the Yoda transmission best.

For me, the whiplash and speed of the jeep... moves too fast to take in all the environment, I agree, the environment is fantastic on Indiana... but for a lot of it we fly past at such a speed with so much motion... it feels out of balance.
    I'd say instead of supplements it, it kind of supplants it... just too much motion...
    there is a submission for the "if you could do anything" I'd try Indiana at a slightly lower tempo... maybe I'd find out I was wrong...
    the Yoga transmission, I forget about that, yes, it was great, so was the smashing of the shuttle window, completely unexpected...

I'm pretty sure C3PO says something like, "We are all members of the rebel alliance now."

Well darn, there goes my peace... I was thinking, if they catch us, I can deny everything ;-)
    never met him before in my life..... just another face in the space port...
    these are not the droids you are looking for.....
    Last edited by GwenRowan; 11-19-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: add quote intended

edit: nevermind
    Last edited by AMUSIX; 11-19-2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: no reason for education

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    In version one, everyone is involved with the story - you're part of the crew that's stuck on this. "We're all in it together".

In version two, you're not even a character in the story - you're an extra for the one person selected. If the Empire catches you, they won't care. You're extras. You have no stake in the outcome over than "I sure hope we survive being stuck in a cabin with the jerk from the Rebellion". You - the average rider - are just there to watch the show. Previously you were at least stuck with an insane captain together with everyone else - now, again, you're just an extra in someone else's adventure.

Ya' know, I agree with you... I hadn't thought about it but when they did the "looking for this rebel"... something shifted... of course the shuttle is busy escaping and going into hyperdrive but...
    I didn't think further about it until I read your "extra in someone else's adventure"
    and I'm not prone to feeling "left out"
    if you are buying into the story, it makes a difference

I did have a giggle at "now we are all part of the rebellion"
    typical C3PO manipulation
    now WE are all in this together, OKAAAAYYYYY?
    uh huh....

• Evil is Sexy

I have a small sign I take with me and hold up, in case I ever get chosen as the spy that says "Double Agent, Sith Happens."

I like the new one better than the old one, I just wish they wouldn't mix the prequels with the originals in the sequences.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Selfie Expert

I prefer the new one. The only issue I have is that I really miss Rex (though that may be nostalgia talking), and I really hate the pod race sequence (though I just plain don't enjoy Episode I in general).

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

I love ST 2.0. I went many times on ST 1.0 and while it's been many years, the new version with the multiple sequences feels far superior.

I guess I don't get the hate about the rebel spy. To me this feels far more immersive because it directly involves the audience in the action. Every single time I rode, many in the audience laugh when the rebel spy is chosen, even if it's a stranger to them. It seems to be an element that most people really enjoy.

• Former Churro Jockey

Isn't the rebel spy always a kid? Every time I've been on I think it's been a kid. So it's extra special for the kid who is picked, and the rest of the audience still enjoys the ride. It doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the ride just because one person who isn't me got an extra special aspect of it that I did not. It is still a really fun attraction, and although I liked the original, it was past it's prime and it was time for something new.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• I'm from Canada eh!

ST 1.0 always (ALWAYS) mad me sick so I was unable to enjoy it. For me, I enjoy 2.0 more, for the simple fact that I do not feel as sick and I can enjoy it. That being said, I do not care too much for similators in general.

• "Always On The Move..."

The Rebel Spy isn't always a kid. My sister was the spy on our first time riding it after it opened and I've been on it a number of times when adults were chosen. It's always been a fairly even mix of of adults and kids all the times I've ridden it. As for which one I like better.. I like both versions equally the same. The only extra special thing about the new version is that when you go to Hoth, the snowspeeder pilot that talks to you is a good friend of mine in real life. So always a thrill seeing him.

ETA: The stormtroopers and the Imperial Officer that are the silhouettes in the que are from my 501st Garrison . Also a thrill to see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• 2013-14 Premium APer

One thing to point out - the "spy" isn't necessarily someone on the ride. 'Cause I'm pretty sure that there wasn't anyone riding in a Mon Calamari costume on my last ride, and our spay was one of those Ackbar types.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast