Parking... user interface failure

What is with parking?
    Yesterday the downtown Disney lot, machines not dispensing tickets.. line of people pushing/pushing button, dangerously backing up in line to get into another line... an employee standing watching, I stopped to ask him, he said "don't worry, (something like?) out of tickets"
    Well dears, why not have someone directing people to pull in instead of the muddle of confused and worried guests...
    a note card taped to the machine?
    Three Sunday visits, month past, directed to "use all lanes" we find the far left lanes are not open, barricades funnel two lanes into the third.... people waiting don't want to let us over, three lines moving infinitesimally to one window while other lines enter... I sent a note to Disneyland, they act as if they had no idea... and don't understand why it is a problem... "you can use all lanes" well yeah, you just can't enter from all lanes.... define "use"

Earlier this year, cars being parked from the far end up so guests are streaming through the cars parking, next visit we are directed into a space the previous car parked far over the line, the cast member waving angrily her against the previous car, like "here here" as our driver parks in next space so we can open doors... I asked him to call his supervisor, I'd like to explain why getting out of the car is essential to a Disney visit... he moved on.
    Parking cast members standing in a group talking, backs turned, this driver not a regular visitor, hesitates, cast member waves angrily... everyone should just know where to go, right?
    have twice this year had parking cast members walk in front of car, seemingly not looking.

I used to think Disney was the most efficient organizers of humans in motion I could think of
    what has happened to the thoughtfulness (and common sense) that used to typify the process?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Parking... user interface failure

I used to think so too. But sadly it has been this way for years. I mark the opening of M&F as the moment Disney lost it's legendary efficiency of getting people to and from their cars and the park.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Sadly the solution for most efficient lot goes to Toy Story and the fact you are bussed in. I decided to park in M&F and I waited in that line for 45 minutes before getting to the ticket person. DtD had a 25 minute wait as I walk past.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Senior Minion

A longtime buddy of mine who was a DL Parking CM in the late 1960s and early 70s took his great-grandkids to DL last year -- he hadn't been there since several years before M&F opened. In telling me about his trip, he described in detail his M&F parking experience -- it was nearly identical to that of the OP. He said he was flabbergasted at the idiocy of the operation and outraged at the arrogance of the CMs, and said that if it were up to him he'd "fire those guys so fast they'd have to send FedEx back to pick up their teeth!"
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-19-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

The Downtown Disney lot is a sad joke that the resort refuses to upgrade. The ticket machines are always broken, and the computer system that is used on the exit literally runs on Disney's equivalent to Windows 98. That's not a department issue, it's a TDA-refuses-to-invest issue.

While I'm in no way defending the parking operation, I can say that it's more a victim of infrastructure, as the M&F structure and the DTD lots are very poorly designed. With that being said, coming from experience, I'd say almost always trust the CM. They're giving you a direction for a reason, and they most likely have more knowledge of the operation than the guest. If he was telling you to park next to the vehicle that was over the line, it usually implies that you can go over the line also. Every five spaces there is a two-foot gap in spaces that plays catch up.

As far as CM's "seemingly not looking," when working in RT&P, cars' presence almost becomes a sixth-sense. They know when to get out the way and have specific places to stand, in fact, the only instances of CM's being hit by cars tend to be the fault of the inattentive driver.

• Minion

Disneyland's original parking lot used to be a joy... the excitement from seeing glimpses of attractions such as the top of the Matterhorn, the train station on Main Street, or a passing Monorail added to the anticipation of the magic to come... each section of the lot named after a Disney character... the sleek tram gliding you quietly instead of requiring a lengthy walk... letting you off at the gates of magic... then when the evening's over and you're too tired to walk any more, that same tram gliding you quietly through the cool night air while the announcer names your section of the lot, leaving you mere steps from your car... it was all part of the show.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Disneyland's original parking lot used to be a joy... the excitement from seeing glimpses of attractions such as the top of the Matterhorn, the train station on Main Street, or a passing Monorail added to the anticipation of the magic to come... each section of the lot named after a Disney character... the sleek tram gliding you quietly instead of requiring a lengthy walk... letting you off at the gates of magic... then when the evening's over and you're too tired to walk any more, that same tram gliding you quietly through the cool night air while the announcer names your section of the lot, leaving you mere steps from your car... it was all part of the show.
    For what it's worth, that parking lot was also prone to SPECTACULAR malfunction. All it took was one or two tourist bus breakdowns and you were suddenly stuck in the parking lot for hours.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Former Churro Jockey

Also there were fewer people visiting Disneyland when they had just the original parking lot.

My big complaint with Disneyland right now is that they need to invest a lot more in infastructure. Parking gets backed up too easily, and it takes too long to get from the parking lots to the parks. Disney needs to build several more large parking structures, and then some kind of equivalent to the Ticket & Transportation Center (Maybe where the busses drop people off right now) where all of the parking structures are connected by People Mover. It can be a multi-story structure so that the People Mover is on the 2nd level while the busses from local hotels and ART busses can still drop people off. Yes it would cost a lot of money but in the end it would not only make room for more people to come to the existing parks it would also pave the way for a 3rd park if and when they are ready to build that.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html