Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Artistic integrity

Re: Does dlr have any answer to knotts and ush in 2014.

I'm, personally, in no hurry seeing new construction for new things for 2014 or 2015 ... if it means "Star Warsing" Tomorrowland into oblivion.

If there are factions within the co. fighting tooth and nail .. to hold on to the concept of Tomorrowland .. and wait it out .. for better ideas ... then I'm perfectly fine TL remaining the way it is ... through DL's 60th anniversary.

There is also that rumor of enhancing Fantasyland's 5 dark rides.

And if they were to put Frontierland and Hollywoodland at the head of the game, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post

WDW is getting Avatarland
    You'll be 4 years older by the time that gets finished and opened to the public. That's a long way off! Too long.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• 1 man can make a difernce

Are you really comparing Knotts to Disneyland? Disneyland could not add anything to the resort for the next 3 years and still blow Knotts out of the water. Knotts just doesnt have the attention to detail or service for that matter anymore.
    Not anxious to die Sir, just anxious to matter.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jediz28

• Sock Puppet

I live in Canada, and take my family to Disneyland every year. I'm not saying this to boast, it's just something we really enjoy as a family, and I have been blessed with the means to do it.

Most of our holidays include a day trip to each of; Knotts and Universal... and we enjoy both of those parks as well.

I'm going to make the assumption, that I represent the majority of 'out of town' travellers, who are considering going to SoCal for a (theme park) holiday, in that;

1. The trips are planned around Disneyland. It is the main focus of the trip.
    2. I can easily spend a minimum of three days at the Disney parks, and not get bored.
    3. Although Knotts and USH are fun, they are each a one-day event, and we're done with them.

I guess my point is that; I can't imagine planning a (theme park) trip to SoCal, that didn't include going to Disneyland... however, we've gone a few times, and skipped both Knotts and Universal, and nobody complained. I can't imagine the response, if we went for a week and skipped Disneyland...

I'm not bashing the other theme parks. I genuinely like them. We were at both Knotts and Universal last summer, and I was impressed by both of them. Each has its own 'flavor'. My point is that after a day at each of these two parks, I felt satisfied, and didn't have any urge to go back for a second or third day. Whereas Disneyland / DCA can keep me entertained for days.

• The doctor is in

They haven't been waiting for more money, they've been making it.
    This.

I don't think Disney has ever seen Universal as a dangerous competitor. It's a very different kind of park with different attractions. I have still never stepped foot inside a Universal park because whenever faced with the choice, I always choose Disney. I think it's the same for a lot of people. Even with USH doing the Harry Potter park I don't think it will draw people away from Disneyland.

Also bear in mind that Harry Potter doesn't open in Hollywood until 2016. Who knows what Disney will announce between now and then.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by 123jimmydee View Post
    I live in Canada, and take my family to Disneyland every year. I'm not saying this to boast, it's just something we really enjoy as a family, and I have been blessed with the means to do it.

Most of our holidays include a day trip to each of; Knotts and Universal... and we enjoy both of those parks as well.

I'm going to make the assumption, that I represent the majority of 'out of town' travellers, who are considering going to SoCal for a (theme park) holiday, in that;

1. The trips are planned around Disneyland. It is the main focus of the trip.
    2. I can easily spend a minimum of three days at the Disney parks, and not get bored.
    3. Although Knotts and USH are fun, they are each a one-day event, and we're done with them.

I guess my point is that; I can't imagine planning a (theme park) trip to SoCal, that didn't include going to Disneyland... however, we've gone a few times, and skipped both Knotts and Universal, and nobody complained. I can't imagine the response, if we went for a week and skipped Disneyland...

I'm not bashing the other theme parks. I genuinely like them. We were at both Knotts and Universal last summer, and I was impressed by both of them. Each has its own 'flavor'. My point is that after a day at each of these two parks, I felt satisfied, and didn't have any urge to go back for a second or third day. Whereas Disneyland / DCA can keep me entertained for days.
    As a fellow Canadian with typical travel habits I concure with the above.

Knotts is a fun park and has charm, USH is great and is building it's brand with Potter and Transformers (both personal favs) but disney simply does it better.

• #bringevilback

As a local, I currently have both a Knotts SP and a DLR AP. The Knotts one I will not be renewing, DL I probably will, maybe take a few months off between like I did this year. I live about equal distance between the two but go to DLR way more frequently! Knotts is more for my young niece, which does make the new camp snoopy appealing. Once she needs to buy a DLR pass my sister and her might do Knotts instead, but I'll likely end up with both again. When potter opens I'll probably end up getting a USH pass as well, but trips there will be less frequent, due to the distance...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    THANK YOU!

Soooo many people on here keep saying "Disney hasn't/isn't doing anything," but it simply isn't true. It's just that Harry Potter at the Universal parks has been getting a lot of press and hype (deservedly so), but people forget or gloss over CarsLand, World of Color, New Fantasyland, and the forthcoming Avatarland (which I'm not necessarily thrilled about, but it's still a major project).

The other major thing is that Disney is actually EXTREMELY efficient at making money (as swampymarsh alluded to), it's just that it comes in the form of new hotels, new vacation club buildings, and the like, whereas Universal's emphasis is more on the actual theme park attraction side. So from a consumer, pure enjoyment standpoint, I understand how some might say that Universal "has the lead" so to speak, but it's not like Disney isn't doing anything at all.
    This. Exactly. People need to chill out. How about we just wait and see instead of immediately stating nothing is going to happen in the next few years?

I'm so looking forward to Potter. I will definitely be renewing my USH pass for the next years to come. That said, I'm excited about DL's 60th as well, whether we get something new or not.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Singing Drinker

They build Carsland, and nobody responded in kind. DLR is ahead.

WDW is getting Avatarland not to mention all the money making things they've built in the last few year. They haven't been waiting for more money, they've been making it.
    Transformers. And next year, the Despicable Me clone. Plus the newly constructed "Central Plaza" if you're the kind that counts infrastructure (like the WDW bathrooms).

*IF* you believe the MC updates, WDW complex took a sizeable, measurable hit from the WWOHP which is likely to only get worse as they continue to expand.

USH *may* absorb a chunk of Disney's locals - if you're on the "good" side of the Orange Curtain it's just as easy and cheap to get to USH by private or public transit as it is to get to Disneyland, and Uni's been pricing their top of the line APs at about 1/6th Disney's for a while now.

But overall, chalk me up on Disneyland Resort Complex having to do something to respond SOON. USH isn't stopping at WWOHP - the "Vision Plan" recently got another 1.2 billion dumped into it as they've expanded and received approval for new ideas in it. There's additions coming to the Studio Tour, more attractions for the park, and a fair amount of expansion for the Studio itself.

It's a good time to be a SoCal theme park junkie. I just hope Disney doesn't put someone in charge of the parks that thinks "Hey, themed bathrooms are legitimate attractions!".

Oh.

Wait.

Uh oh.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, despite all of the improvements, Knotts doesn't even hold a candle to Disneyland. People love the new log ride, and view it through the lens of "for a Knott's Berry Farm ride, it's amazing." But the new animatronics that they put in the log ride look like they're technology from 50 years ago. They don't compare at all to Splash Mountain. HOWEVER, Knott's doesn't cost the same as Disneyland either. I actually am going to get a Knott's season pass next year and not get an AP for Disneyland, not because I think Knott's is better, but because is $300 cheaper, and Knott's is pretty darn good. USH has a long, long way to go to ever compare to Disneyland with rides. The one thing they have going for them is that they are a working studio. The Transformers ride is impressive, Jurrasic Park is prety good, but that's really it. The Harry Potter land will attract people to see it by itself, but when they leave Harry Potter to see the rest of the park, they won't find much there.

Now USF is a different story. IOA is an amazing park, and I thought that even before the Harry Potter expansion, it could hold it's own against most other Disney parks. Disneyland is fine. WDW might want to start looking over their shoulder.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

^^^Potter and Despicable Me aren't the only things coming to USH. Universal has an entire plan that will completely change the park. It's going to look different in the next two to ten years.

• Sock Puppet

jasmineray, I understand your opinion, but for what I am arguing, people like you don't matter. Everything Im arguing is based upon continuing the advancement of DLR into a bonfide destination resort worthy of DTD expansion and a 3rd gate. They have made a huge step in that direction and should be pushing forward. Everyone keeps making their arguments based upon USH based upon its passed and current existence. When Potter comes, USH will exist in a completely different way and attract throngs of guests that have never even set foot in the park. This WILL effect what I would like to see the DLR become, unless there is a sizeable counter to match, in some way, the unbelievable press that USH will get over the next few years.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    jasmineray, I understand your opinion, but for what I am arguing, people like you don't matter. Everything Im arguing is based upon continuing the advancement of DLR into a bonfide destination resort worthy of DTD expansion and a 3rd gate. They have made a huge step in that direction and should be pushing forward. Everyone keeps making their arguments based upon USH based upon its passed and current existence. When Potter comes, USH will exist in a completely different way and attract throngs of guests that have never even set foot in the park. This WILL effect what I would like to see the DLR become, unless there is a sizeable counter to match, in some way, the unbelievable press that USH will get over the next few years.
    Dismissing someone's opinion because "people like you don't matter" is terrible, just fyi.

DLR is already a bonafide destination resort. It's the only destination resort in SoCal. USH and Knotts are trying to play catch-up at this point. Fact is over the past few years, Disney has put a ton of money turning DCA into a respectable second gate, with Cars Land and WoC being the major focus, while USH has added Transformers and a new King Kong section to the Tram Tour, and Knotts has upgraded TMLR. DLR is operating from a position of near-absolute power in the SoCal market, which means they can take their time in announcing new projects for DLR and focus company money in other spots like WDW, where the competition is having a bigger effect.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    Dude, I agree with pretty much everything you said. I'm not saying, nor have I ever said the DLR shouldn't continue to expand. I also never said Disneyland won't have to build something new. But this constant question "What is Disneyland going to do next?!, what do they have planned?!, Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, Disneyland has nothing planned for the next three years!" is just ridiculous. Why are you freaking out so much? You're constantly bringing up the same question, as if Disneyland will vanish if they don't build something within the next three years. Disneyland doesn't ALWAYS need to be in the spotlight. Everything is going to be okay. We should be praising USH for their accomplishments. It's great that USH will be receiving press attention in the next few years! USH and the DLR aren't competing with each other, and this goes for all the other theme parks in SoCal. Relax.

What do you mean people like me don't matter?

I can't think of any announcements made by Knotts in recent years that would warrant a response from Disneyland. This last one, a refurb of Calico and Snoopy is barely news by comparison. Disney does this on such a regular basis that we don't even notice any more.

Harry Potter at USH will require a response, and that response will be Star Wars Land aka Tomorrowland.

I love Blue Sky and would hate to see it go. I'd very much welcome updates from park around the world. I would have liked to have seen concept art and progress reports from Mystica Manor for example.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Even with USH doing the Harry Potter park I don't think it will draw people away from Disneyland.

Also bear in mind that Harry Potter doesn't open in Hollywood until 2016. Who knows what Disney will announce between now and then.
    I agree with most of what you said, but Harry Potter will most definitely need to be answered. With Potter, Universal is showing an intent, or at least willingness, to compete with Disney on the themed land field. Orlando has shown that Universal can design an environment as immersive as anything found at Disneyland.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast