Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Does dlr have any answer to knotts and ush in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Folks, Knotts is the sleeping giant here.
    hmmm...mostly just sleeping I think.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    I agree with most of what you said, but Harry Potter will most definitely need to be answered. With Potter, Universal is showing an intent, or at least willingness, to compete with Disney on the themed land field. Orlando has shown that Universal can design an environment as immersive as anything found at Disneyland.
    I kinda figured Harry Potter was more of a response to DCA 2.0, which completely stole any thunder Transformers had created for USH.

• WDW & Universal in Sept!!

Sure UHS and KBF have somethings planned in the close future but I think Disney isn't to worried. Its not the first time in history that this has happened.

Take a look at these numbers: List of amusement park rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

UHS doesn't even come close to attendance and KBF isnt even on the list. Sure their attendance will grow but I think can never be a threat. If anything it will help attendance at DLR. IMO

Everyone has memories of going to Disneyland growing up. Everyone with children make sure to take them to Disneyland at an early age. Not taking their kids to UHS, atleast i dont know of many people that talk about UHS in their childhood memory or just HAVE to take the kids their. Hope you get where im coming from . . ..

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    I kinda figured Harry Potter was more of a response to DCA 2.0, which completely stole any thunder Transformers had created for USH.
    I'm not certain any "thunder" was stolen.

Having heavily attended USH during the year after Transformers opened, it had an effect. A very pronounced one. The summer season regularly saw 90-120 minute waits on Transformers and across the park waits were up as well.

I think they would have experienced a MUCH more pronounced "bump" if they'd opened a larger themed area (as they're doing with both Despicable Me's "miniland" of Super Silly Fun Land as well as the much more expansive WWOHP), but from personal observation as well as talking with friends who work on a couple levels - Transformers did exactly what was expected. It drew in tourists, it drew in locals, and it kept drawing them in at a level that started to make the park uncomfortably full... moreso once the construction walls in the upper lot went up.

USH's two big problems are footprint and neighbors. The "vision plan" addresses the first to a moderate degree, and the fact they got the plan approved AT ALL along with the unprecedented use of the backlot for a late night VERY noisy HHN area argue that they've made strides towards addressing the second. They're going to have continued layout problems so long as they continue with the "upper lot/lower lot" divide in the theme park, but my hope is that they eventually subdivide into "theme park/studio park" at some point.

I'm really looking forward to where they go next, both in terms of what it will do to USH as well as what Disney is going to be required to do in order to keep up.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    hmmm...mostly just sleeping I think.
    Knott's needs either massive capital investment to concentrate it's parking to free up more expansion area or to reach an agreement (which may not be possible) to buy the holdout land on their southern border. Both are going to require potentially more resources than Cedar Fair has, let alone are willing to spend.

I'm also a little concerned over the KBF "upcharge" policies lately. They seem to have adopted the "everything available for just a little extra" on some disturbing levels - "spin to get a front of the line pass" etc.

It's an effective monetizer, I guess - but it's also a bit tacky and the in-park application looks really cheap. It's also not the only weird thing along that line.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

USH's new attractions are nothing. Despicable me and transformers are just 3D movies with a little motion. This is ok for one ride in a park but it seems almost every ride at USH is going this way. Nothing compared to the quality of RSR. Harry Potter and the forbidden journey is alright but still you're just sitting in front of a screen most if the time. AA'a over 3D movies any day. USH and Knotts new attractions are answers to the improvement of DCA

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    USH's new attractions are nothing. Despicable me and transformers are just 3D movies with a little motion. This is ok for one ride in a park but it seems almost every ride at USH is going this way. Nothing compared to the quality of RSR. Harry Potter and the forbidden journey is alright but still you're just sitting in front of a screen most if the time. AA'a over 3D movies any day. USH and Knotts new attractions are answers to the improvement of DCA
    Totally agree with your aversion to simulators. I think they're awful, and lazy, and too cheap, and completely miss the point of a themed environment. But Disney has shown a willingness lately to go down this road too (Star Tours, Soarin, the new Iron Man attraction).

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Star Tours is one of the first simulator rides and soarin was a break through. And the iron man ride is because the Chinese don't like thrill rides

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by disneygeek24 View Post
    Sure UHS and KBF have somethings planned in the close future but I think Disney isn't to worried. Its not the first time in history that this has happened.

Take a look at these numbers: List of amusement park rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

UHS doesn't even come close to attendance and KBF isnt even on the list. Sure their attendance will grow but I think can never be a threat. If anything it will help attendance at DLR. IMO

Everyone has memories of going to Disneyland growing up. Everyone with children make sure to take them to Disneyland at an early age. Not taking their kids to UHS, atleast i dont know of many people that talk about UHS in their childhood memory or just HAVE to take the kids their. Hope you get where im coming from . . ..
    I imagine USH breaks 6 million this year, but they're still getting beat out by DCA in terms of annual attendance, let alone grabbing 1/3 of the attendance Disneyland gets every year.

I think Harry Potter will be a good thing for USH, but I don't think it effects DLR like others believe it will, simply because the SoCal amusement park market is much more different than the Florida market in that it is much more local-based.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    They build Carsland, and nobody responded in kind. DLR is ahead.

WDW is getting Avatarland not to mention all the money making things they've built in the last few year. They haven't been waiting for more money, they've been making it.
    Carsland had groundbreaking rockwork, but beyond that, the attractions weren't anything significant.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    USH is not a threat for DLR. In fact I seem to remember that when Potter opened in Orlando, WDW's attendance went up as more tourists were flocking to the area. When Potter opened in Orlando, WDW was in a more precarious position with their attraction line up than DLR is with Carsland.

If anything, Potter in Hollywood could end up BOOSTING DLR's attendance. No tourist bent on visiting So Cal theme parks would plan a trip to the area without visiting DLR.

I'm sure that DLR has a five year master plan outlining their attraction strategy for the next few years, and I sincerely doubt that Potter factors much into that. Mymagic+ and the growing AP problems need to be figured out long before more expansion can take place in Anaheim.
    It's not an issue about attendance, it's about Disney maintaining (regaining?) their lead in top level attractions. Yes, Universal's addition of top new attractions may boost Disney's attendance, but, for example, my last trip to Orlando was JUST to see Harry Potter. And I didn't visit ANY of Disney's parks that trip.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    It's not an issue about attendance, it's about Disney maintaining (regaining?) their lead in top level attractions. Yes, Universal's addition of top new attractions may boost Disney's attendance, but, for example, my last trip to Orlando was JUST to see Harry Potter. And I didn't visit ANY of Disney's parks that trip.
    That's a WDW problem, though. For the SoCal market, even with the addition of Harry Potter, DLR still blows USH out of the water in terms of top level attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Knott's needs either massive capital investment to concentrate it's parking to free up more expansion area or to reach an agreement (which may not be possible) to buy the holdout land on their southern border. Both are going to require potentially more resources than Cedar Fair has, let alone are willing to spend.

I'm also a little concerned over the KBF "upcharge" policies lately. They seem to have adopted the "everything available for just a little extra" on some disturbing levels - "spin to get a front of the line pass" etc.

It's an effective monetizer, I guess - but it's also a bit tacky and the in-park application looks really cheap. It's also not the only weird thing along that line.
    Remember, Matt Ouimat is now in charge of Knott's. His influence could enhance the park quite a bit.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    I imagine USH breaks 6 million this year, but they're still getting beat out by DCA in terms of annual attendance, let alone grabbing 1/3 of the attendance Disneyland gets every year.

I think Harry Potter will be a good thing for USH, but I don't think it effects DLR like others believe it will, simply because the SoCal amusement park market is much more different than the Florida market in that it is much more local-based.
    I'm watching the AP prices to see how much USH is going after DL's local market.

Right now the prices for premiums are $159/$669 USH/Disney - USH at a little under a quarter of Disney's pricing. If they stay at that level, I'd say they're gunning for the local market.

The real question is how big that market actually is. Disney's yet to hit saturation point if figures are to be believed - the number of APs keeps increasing in the face of constant price hikes and limited new investment in the property. It's entirely possible that USH may draw a dedicated and growing AP crowd without even denting Disney's attendance in a significant way. Heck, it may be possible to completely oversaturate USH with new APs without doing that. We just don't really know other than the comparison of Disney's announced AP totals (which don't really break down local vs. out of area) compared to the overall population of the LA basin.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    Remember, Matt Ouimat is now in charge of Knott's. His influence could enhance the park quite a bit.
    A good chunk of the micromonetization is happening under his watch. It may be that the "spin to win" and the eighty bajillion upcharge pricepoints for Haunt are the price he's having to pay Cedar Fair for the expansions he wants, but it still leaves the park much closer to maxed out development without massive capital expenditure for either consolidation or land purchase.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast