Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Re: Does dlr have any answer to knotts and ush in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    There is only a small percentage of people that care about theming and execution, and that includes people on discussion boards such as this one and others. The general public doesn't care about stuff like that. They're going to see WWoHP as an amazing experience and flock to it. They're not necessarily going to think about place making and theming and whatever else. If most people thought this way, USH would be mostly empty on a daily basis, and it's not. All these people are going to be thinking about is getting themselves to the park, getting in line for the attractions and sipping their butterbeer.

I don't know about Hogsmede but apparently the Great Hall has been confirmed. We'll see in the next few years.
    Honestly, after seeing USH's recent additions and the themeing and care put into them, I'm pretty sure Uni's putting a lot of work into placemaking.

Transformers is a modest example - the theme doesn't necessarily stop at the entrance to the building. It's hella weak, but it's still in the outdoor queue in the form of munitions and supplies labeled for NEST along with signage and such that are more decorative than informative/functional.

Despicable Me's clone is another example - they're not content with a well themed building and interior experience, they're adding in a "mini land" themed to DM's theme park.

Both of these are things that Uni's previously never really been big on. In CA the closest to anything along that line is the Simpson's surrounding area, but that honestly is a modestly themed ride structure with one themed building and a massive traffic snarl at the head of the escalators and quite honestly is not exactly a welcoming nor well designed area. But now, for whatever reason, they're apparently embracing the themed area approach. It's a big part of why I'm looking forward to the rest of the "vision plan".
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

Folks, Knotts is the sleeping giant here. I remember the 1970s very well. I remember a number a years when Knotts actually had more guests than Disneyland! And if that is my mind playing tricks on me their attendance numbers were very close. If Knotts does the right things, which from the looks of it is beginning to happen, Disneyland can have a big threat on their hands especially if Disney does not do anything that would make it impossible for Knotts to keep up with. Sure, there is Mymagic+ but that is not guaranteed to work on the west coast (heck even at WDW there are delays in getting it rolled out). Disney needs to do something big and something quick. Mymagic+ just could be Emperor Disney admiring its new clothes. Come on Disney, you have to look at Knotts quick or the locals might just start seeing you for who you really are and start flocking to your competitors.
    If Knott's even experiments with original themed attractions, Disney is going to be in deep trouble for all those years of indulging with IP based concepts. It all comes down to who has the most memorable attraction currently, and I think with the help of Garner Holt, they can steal Disneyland's thunder away if they start creating things on the level of Mystic Manor.

The unfortunate reality for Disney is that Carsland, even though popular at the moment, is a dud when it comes to leaving an impression on people. Most people I know think RSR is a mediocre attraction wrapped in a pretty mountain structure and that the surrounding attractions are a joke.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 11-21-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    I agree that wizarding world of Harry potter is amazing. The theming is incredible. Only one ride is new, the other two are rebrands and olivanders wand shop is charming but not worth redoing though.

Wizarding world of Harry potter only occupied me for an hour and a half to two hours though. And the rest of IOA was reasonably bland. I found the 2 Florida universal parks as half day parks really.

If they did the whole park to the standard of WWOHP then it would be different. I think the new diagon ally will make it closer but still not as much of a cohesive experience as the disney parks. Hogwarts castle and the forbidden journey at USH will not be enough to make that park comparible to Disneyland in theming and execution. They haven't even confirmed if there will be a hogsmeade have they? I thought they only confirmed the castle and the ride so far
    They are getting Hogsmeade. This past week, Universal held a community meeting inside the Globe Theater at the park. For those in attendance, there was a model of Hollywoods WWOHP on display. Everything that is currently in Orlando, Hollywood is getting minus Dragon Challenge and Diagon Alley. Also Hollywood will be getting the Great Hall Restaurant, that will have both theme park and City Walk access.

• -

It has been well documented that the Chinese don't like thrill rides. That's why Hong Kong Disneyland doesn't have many and why whenever they talk about Shanghai Disney they talk about "attractions targeted at the Chinese market"
    Where has it been well documented? Please point me to any anthropological studies you are relying upon for the stereotype you were trying to insinuate.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    Everyone I've met that has gone to HP at Florida says nothing in any Disney park can compare to it.
    I would definitely agree with this, but only in the way that it is a completely new and different type of thrill ride. HP's Forbidden Journey is an INCREDIBLE ride. But that doesn't mean it's my favorite ride. I will also note that as amazing as it is, all three people in my party felt slightly nauseous when we got of it. The point being is that yes Disney, or anyone else for that matter, doesn't having anything (yet) that compares to Forbidden Journey, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best ride, or anyone's favorite ride. I admit that Shindler's List is an exceptionally well made film, but that doesn't mean I have any interest in watching it over any of my personal favorites. Get what I mean?

I think Disneyland is preparing for the 60th celebration instead!

It has been well documented that the Chinese don't like thrill rides. That's why Hong Kong Disneyland doesn't have many and why whenever they talk about Shanghai Disney they talk about "attractions targeted at the Chinese market"
    If it's been so well documented, please cite your sources. You saying it does not equal "well documented."

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Transformers. And next year, the Despicable Me clone. Plus the newly constructed "Central Plaza" if you're the kind that counts infrastructure (like the WDW bathrooms).
    Let me correct something. USH got a Transformer Clone, and is getting a Despicalble Me Clone.

DLR got a whole new land, and upgraded a lot of park. It also got the original show, WoC, and original ride, LMAU which was cloned.

A problem at USH is they let the rest of the park slide, and what they are doing makes USH look like DCA 1.0. They are fixing and expanding like DCA did. Playing catch up to DLR.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Let me correct something. USH got a Transformer Clone, and is getting a Despicalble Me Clone.

DLR got a whole new land, and upgraded a lot of park. It also got the original show, WoC, and original ride, LMAU which was cloned.

A problem at USH is they let the rest of the park slide, and what they are doing makes USH look like DCA 1.0. They are fixing and expanding like DCA did. Playing catch up to DLR.
    Incorrect - USF got the clone. The Hollywood version is the original. The Despicable Me "Clone" comes with a themed mini-land expansion not part of the FL version. And if you've been there in the last few months, it's hard to argue that they're letting the rest of the park "slide" - most of it is currently behind walls being rebuilt. Not joking here - there's probably more construction wall than regular wall at the moment. The entire back half of the upper lot by Shrek is gone. The area around T2 and the Coke area is behind walls. There are stretches that extend along the former carnival game alley.

Whatever else they can be faulted for, their current commitment to build and maintain can't be questioned - when confronted with customer vandalism of internal Transformers deco, they didn't leave it damaged. They cleaned it and fixed the deco to prevent further abuse. Jurassic Park's effects keep getting repaired.

USH has some major structural issues that will likely keep it from ever truly being able to dislodge Disney in the CA market - space alone prevents that. But they're committed to making the park a credible threat in the market.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Nothing at Knotts is appealing, no matter what they add to it. People go to check it out and forget about it in a month. Universal is definitely an awesome theme park, there aren't many rides, but the ride quality and entertainment are what keep people attention. Although their expansions are cool, i still think people kind of get bored with it after a few months. The Harry Potter add-on will probably bring in tons of attendees, but i feel like people might be disappointed comparing it to Floridas.

But anyways, i wouldn't mind fewer crowds at Disney f

I wouldn't mind fewer crowds at Disney for a little*

Iphone probs...lol

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by boglurch View Post
    incorrect - usf got the clone. The hollywood version is the original. The despicable me "clone" comes with a themed mini-land expansion not part of the fl version. And if you've been there in the last few months, it's hard to argue that they're letting the rest of the park "slide" - most of it is currently behind walls being rebuilt. Not joking here - there's probably more construction wall than regular wall at the moment. The entire back half of the upper lot by shrek is gone. The area around t2 and the coke area is behind walls. There are stretches that extend along the former carnival game alley.

Whatever else they can be faulted for, their current commitment to build and maintain can't be questioned - when confronted with customer vandalism of internal transformers deco, they didn't leave it damaged. They cleaned it and fixed the deco to prevent further abuse. Jurassic park's effects keep getting repaired.

Ush has some major structural issues that will likely keep it from ever truly being able to dislodge disney in the ca market - space alone prevents that. But they're committed to making the park a credible threat in the market.
    This.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cbrittneyb View Post
    Nothing at Knotts is appealing, no matter what they add to it. People go to check it out and forget about it in a month. Universal is definitely an awesome theme park, there aren't many rides, but the ride quality and entertainment are what keep people attention. Although their expansions are cool, i still think people kind of get bored with it after a few months. The Harry Potter add-on will probably bring in tons of attendees, but i feel like people might be disappointed comparing it to Floridas.

But anyways, I wouldn't mind fewer crowds at Disney f
    That is your opinion, not a fact. Knott's is very appealing to lots of people, including my sister who refuses to take her kids to Disneyland and always takes them to Knott's. If people forget about Knott's why is it still operating? Same goes for Universal, if people always get bored with it, how do you explain the number of APs the park has?

In regards to Potter, I bet most West Coast people haven't even visited IoA to compare the two. Potter will be popular here.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Incorrect - USF got the clone. The Hollywood version is the original.
    Singapore's version opened first, so I wouldn't really say USH's was the original.

It's a shame that USH is so pressed for space because otherwise they would have the potential to draw 10+ million visitors/year due to its location. With so little room to work with I feel what they put in has to be better than what's in Florida. I hope USH's version of Forbidden Journey is upgraded from the original, or else that would be a lost opportunity. The worse thing that can happen is if USH gets a budget version like they did with the Mummy ride.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
    Singapore's version opened first, so I wouldn't really say USH's was the original.

It's a shame that USH is so pressed for space because otherwise they would have the potential to draw 10+ million visitors/year due to its location. With so little room to work with I feel what they put in has to be better than what's in Florida. I hope USH's version of Forbidden Journey is upgraded from the original, or else that would be a lost opportunity. The worse thing that can happen is if USH gets a budget version like they did with the Mummy ride.
    Technically they were announced and built more or less concurrently, Singapore opened a few months before the Hollywood version - it's probably more accurate to say they cloned each other? They're not varying between the builds substantially in any case.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast