Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Does dlr have any answer to knotts and ush in 2014.

Knotts made major announcements that will definitely entice locals and USH has a new attraction opening in 2014, Despicable Me, which will give them another huge attendance boost after the huge gain they just received from Transformers.
    Does DLR have anything in store for next year?
    My other question is does anyone know if they have shut down the pointless now, Blue Sky Cellar? The last few additions have been ridiculous and if not willing to put in concepts for Orlando, Paris, Shanghai or Hong Kong, where new projects actually are, then they need to shutter that embarrassment.

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Re: Does dlr have any answer to knotts and ush in 2014.

No and nothing for 2015 as well except for some new entertainment offerings. Knotts will have no affect on disneyland making any kinda moves. Also, Harry potter will not be met with any new attraction as well, disneyland does not see them as a competitor.

• Sock Puppet

They better see USH with Potter as a competitor. Both for locals and for tourists. Also, with no new offering at the DLR, I think some locals will be enticed to take a look at what KNOTTS is offering.

• Minion

I can bet most of us don't know what Disneyland has planned for the future.

Locals already go to Knott's, as well as USH. I don't see the big deal in other theme parks taking some of Disneyland's attendance. Is that not a good thing?
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE View Post
    No and nothing for 2015 as well except for some new entertainment offerings. Knotts will have no affect on disneyland making any kinda moves. Also, Harry potter will not be met with any new attraction as well, disneyland does not see them as a competitor.
    Big mistake. Disney can go only so long relying on their brand to carry them. They didn't respond to IOA's Spiderman. Then ignored Harry Potter. Universal is going full bore while Disney pokes along with relatively mild projects.

Eventually Disney will have to actually make a MAJOR ground breaking attraction just to prove that they still have the ability to do so. While there may be little chance for other parks to catch up with, let alone surpass Disney's lead, the increased competition due to individual outstanding attractions WILL slowly erode Disney's perception of being the top attraction leader.

• Sock Puppet

No, loosing attendance is not a good thing, and I quite doubt Disney is hoping they lose some of their attendance to USH or KNOTTS. New attractions and expanded parks is what should be happening, not standing pat and hoping to lose guests to other parks to ease congestion.
    Also, of course we don't know what is coming in the distant future, but we definitely know there won't be anything of significance for the next 2 years, as construction would have already begun. The way Disney has been building attractions and lands, it is much more likely that nothing major will open in the parks for at least the next 3 years since nothing is set to begin construction anytime soon. That is insane!!!!!!!

• Under that tree again!

They build Carsland, and nobody responded in kind. DLR is ahead.

WDW is getting Avatarland not to mention all the money making things they've built in the last few year. They haven't been waiting for more money, they've been making it.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

People here keep saying they want less of a crowd at DLR. So with more people going to Knott's and Universal DLR crowds will thin.
    Now maybe people here on Micechat will be happy and won't be complaining about all the AP people going to DLR because maybe they wonlt renew and will go somewhere else.

• Senior Minion

I don't really think it will have a noticeable impact. The DLR has done a lot in the last few years, it's to be expected that it will be a while until the next big project. I've always thought that they wouldn't start any new major construction in DL until 2016. But hopefully they'll come through with some nice refurbishments before then.

The question I have is, when will DCA get something new? I don't like the Monsters idea, but I do think that area needs to be redone asap. The park needs another major attraction, there or elsewhere, and now has shown it can deliver visitors and could support more growth. If they launch a major project in DL it may be a long time until they are willing to spend money on DCA again. I hope not because the first project should show them that continuing to improve DCA will pay off.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    No, loosing attendance is not a good thing, and I quite doubt Disney is hoping they lose some of their attendance to USH or KNOTTS. New attractions and expanded parks is what should be happening, not standing pat and hoping to lose guests to other parks to ease congestion.
    Also, of course we don't know what is coming in the distant future, but we definitely know there won't be anything of significance for the next 2 years, as construction would have already begun. The way Disney has been building attractions and lands, it is much more likely that nothing major will open in the parks for at least the next 3 years since nothing is set to begin construction anytime soon. That is insane!!!!!!!
    USH and Knott's are WAY behind Disneyland. I'm sure Potter will boost USH's attendance by a significant amount. It's not like Disneyland is going to go out of business if its attendance drops. I don't know why people are making such a big deal about attendance. Plus, it's always great when ANY theme park's attendance goes up, not just Disneyland's or California Adventure's.

It's really not insane Disneyland won't be receiving something huge in the next three years, given the fact Disneyland hasn't received a new land and/or E-ticket in years. I'm not even going to talk about DCA... Cars Land is a little over a year old, not to mention other offerings.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Special Agent

USH is not a threat for DLR. In fact I seem to remember that when Potter opened in Orlando, WDW's attendance went up as more tourists were flocking to the area. When Potter opened in Orlando, WDW was in a more precarious position with their attraction line up than DLR is with Carsland.

If anything, Potter in Hollywood could end up BOOSTING DLR's attendance. No tourist bent on visiting So Cal theme parks would plan a trip to the area without visiting DLR.

I'm sure that DLR has a five year master plan outlining their attraction strategy for the next few years, and I sincerely doubt that Potter factors much into that. Mymagic+ and the growing AP problems need to be figured out long before more expansion can take place in Anaheim.

The theme parks dynamics in SoCal are different than in Orlando. DLR and USH are more like friendly rivals, and both resorts are even included in the SoCal Citypass. Historically, when one of them does well the other also does well. Usually it's KBF, SFMM, and SeaWorld that are left to fight over the leftovers.

My guess is that a theme park war between Disney and Universal could severely impact the lesser parks, and I wonder if somebody like KBF will even be able to survive post-Potter.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    If anything, Potter in Hollywood could end up BOOSTING DLR's attendance. No tourist bent on visiting So Cal theme parks would plan a trip to the area without visiting DLR.

I'm sure that DLR has a five year master plan outlining their attraction strategy for the next few years, and I sincerely doubt that Potter factors much into that. Mymagic+ and the growing AP problems need to be figured out long before more expansion can take place in Anaheim.

I live in Newport Beach and work in Irvine. Believe me when I say there is a HUGE tourist population in So Cal that never even consider going to Disneyland. There's a reason Newport/Laguna is filled with 5 Diamond resorts such as the Balboa Bay Club, the Island Hotel, Pelican Coast Resort, the St Regis Resort. They aren't there because of Disneyland. It's because they cater to a specific type of tourist who come here strictly for So Cal's beaches, shopping, and other non theme park offerings.

Folks, Knotts is the sleeping giant here. I remember the 1970s very well. I remember a number a years when Knotts actually had more guests than Disneyland! And if that is my mind playing tricks on me their attendance numbers were very close. If Knotts does the right things, which from the looks of it is beginning to happen, Disneyland can have a big threat on their hands especially if Disney does not do anything that would make it impossible for Knotts to keep up with. Sure, there is Mymagic+ but that is not guaranteed to work on the west coast (heck even at WDW there are delays in getting it rolled out). Disney needs to do something big and something quick. Mymagic+ just could be Emperor Disney admiring its new clothes. Come on Disney, you have to look at Knotts quick or the locals might just start seeing you for who you really are and start flocking to your competitors.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    They build Carsland, and nobody responded in kind. DLR is ahead.

WDW is getting Avatarland not to mention all the money making things they've built in the last few year. They haven't been waiting for more money, they've been making it.
    THANK YOU!

Soooo many people on here keep saying "Disney hasn't/isn't doing anything," but it simply isn't true. It's just that Harry Potter at the Universal parks has been getting a lot of press and hype (deservedly so), but people forget or gloss over CarsLand, World of Color, New Fantasyland, and the forthcoming Avatarland (which I'm not necessarily thrilled about, but it's still a major project).

The other major thing is that Disney is actually EXTREMELY efficient at making money (as swampymarsh alluded to), it's just that it comes in the form of new hotels, new vacation club buildings, and the like, whereas Universal's emphasis is more on the actual theme park attraction side. So from a consumer, pure enjoyment standpoint, I understand how some might say that Universal "has the lead" so to speak, but it's not like Disney isn't doing anything at all.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    USH and Knott's are WAY behind Disneyland. I'm sure Potter will boost USH's attendance by a significant amount. It's not like Disneyland is going to go out of business if its attendance drops. I don't know why people are making such a big deal about attendance. Plus, it's always great when ANY theme park's attendance goes up, not just Disneyland's or California Adventure's.

It's really not insane Disneyland won't be receiving something huge in the next three years, given the fact Disneyland hasn't received a new land and/or E-ticket in years. I'm not even going to talk about DCA... Cars Land is a little over a year old, not to mention other offerings.
    Well put jasmineray

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast