Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• The doctor is in

Winter refub schedule updated

If the link is accurate, which it usually is, the 2014 winter refurb schedule has been updated. New additions include:

Pirates of the Caribbean: January 27th - February 14th
    Splash Mountain: January 21st - February 28th
    Alice in Wonderland: January 6th - May 22nd
    Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage: January 6th - September 26th

Mickey's Fun Wheel: February 3rd - 6th
    Soarin' Over California: February 18th - June 5th

It also lists Thunder Mountain Railroad opening on January 31st instead of February 14th.

http://media.disneywebcontent.com/St...rbishments.pdf

All I can say is my trip in February is going to suck. I'm going to have Pirates, Splash, and Alice closed. Add those on top of the annual refurb for Fantasmic. Plus, you never know which rides may break down or go up for sudden refurbs from now until then. I'm considering moving my trip now.

•   
    • Artistic integrity

Re: Winter refub schedule updated

Finding Nemo .. 9-10 month refurb?? .. that's a big surprise. I wonder what has to happen there.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Minion

It's nice to see Splash and Alice on this list.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

•   
    • Minion

I'm glad Splash is getting some TLC.

The Nemo refurb caught me eye though. That rehab is as long as the Matterhorn's was. I wonder what's up and what they might be adding or taking away.

Is Soarin down that long for the digital update?

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I am glad Nemo is getting some attention. It needs a lot of work. I wonder though way Storybookland going to be down for a week in a few weeks?
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Disney Geek wannabe

Dang my Jan/feb trip is going to suck. We always go jan 31st thru feb 5th. Both my husband and daughter have birthdays that week. Alice is one of her favorites. Oh well, at least they are being refurbished.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Finding Nemo .. 9-10 month refurb?? .. that's a big surprise. I wonder what has to happen there.
    As far as I know, Nemo has never gotten a major refurb, it's been in operation since 2007 without being shutdown for an appreciable amount of time. They used special ceramic paints made out of recycled glass so that it would last longer between big refurbs, and the electric subs don't need much maintenance. They might be replacing older projectors with newer ones which have an LED lights source which can last longer than the machine itself.

Finding Dory comes out in 2016, so 2015/6 will be a promotional year, and hence probably good to have the subs in top condition before this time arrives, perhaps with the tech in place to add some updates/tie-ins at the push of a button.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-21-2013 at 07:22 AM.

• Mistress of Evil

This is the downside of visiting in the off season. Most refurbs seem to take place in January/ February.
    I have had trips planned when some headliners were out of commission (OSHA April 2013 anyone??), and I still managed to have a great time. There is so much to see and do. You may end up taking the time to experience something new.

• The doctor is in

I was also a bit surprised to see Nemo pop up on the list, but like others have said it hasn't gone down for a major refurb since it opened. The last time I rode it the ride still looked pretty good, but that was over a year ago. They might be updating the digital aspects and/or draining the water to repaint and retouch everything.

• Special Agent

The sub's are one of the most expensive rides in the part to operate and maintain. Nine months carries the expectation that the lagoon will be drained and I would guess that they need to do maintenance on the electric induction system that powers the subs. That is not an easy or simple system to build and maintain. There are also lots of moving parts under the water that the on staff dive team wouldn't be able to fix (like track switches). It could also just be a general maintenance on the filter facility backstage that would require draining all the water.

Or it could all just be prep work for Star Wars land.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Hahahaha it states the second floor of the Starcade is opening up New Year's Day...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    The sub's are one of the most expensive rides in the part to operate and maintain.
    I'm not so sure about that at all! The Nemo Subs have gone since 2007 without a major refurb, that's savings right there, typically high maintenance attractions require extensive yearly refurbs. The Nemo Subs aren't diesel powered anymore, diesel engines have a lot of moving parts, not so with a battery powered electric motor system. And while people sometimes complain about Nemo's low capacity compared to rides like Pirates, the attraction hasn't had a major refurb in six years.

Also, projector bulb costs should no longer be an issue as digital projectors with LED light sources which outlive the projector's lifespan are now available.

Nemo is a "green" ride, IMHO, as it is electric, uses recycled glass for special paints, and with LED projectors will use a fraction of the electricity that it once did. It was built to be relatively low maintenance, and it seems to have fulfilled that promise brilliantly. In terms of filtering water, the thing is basically a big swimming pool.

Nine months carries the expectation that the lagoon will be drained and I would guess that they need to do maintenance on the electric induction system that powers the subs. That is not an easy or simple system to build and maintain.
    Inductive charging systems aren't difficult to maintain, and are relatively easy and cheap to build. There's aren't any moving parts, car manufacturers are looking at using them for home charging of electric vehicles, Nissan 2014 will have induction charging, and in the future inductive chargers might be put at intersections/Walmarts/home to continuously charge EVs.

There are also lots of moving parts under the water that the on staff dive team wouldn't be able to fix (like track switches).
    Not sure how many "track switches" Nemo has, but a lot, of the effects are continuously running, and there are more efficient ways to synchronize the subs effects with the location of the ride vehicle that don't involve mechanical switches.

It could also just be a general maintenance on the filter facility backstage that would require draining all the water.
    They probably have a list of stuff to work on, and will take advantage of the downtime to make repairs/upgrades on several systems/effects.

Or it could all just be prep work for Star Wars land.
    That's what the Simba parking lot is for ;-)
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-21-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Im glad subs are getting refurbished but what about Space Mountain?, that ride is in worse shape than the subs.

• Vidia's Minion

The subs have been the most expensive attraction to operate, I think it's slipped to #2 or #3 but it's still up there it's a shame that it has such a low hourly though put for guest capacity.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast