Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

What is the value of live performances vs. new rides?

I often see mentioned in posts about the future that more live performances are needed in new or redesigned areas. I am curious to better learn individual reasons for this.

My question would be what makes you want more live performances versus using the space for a new attraction?

Dont get me wrong, I love billy Hill and some of the street performers but would much rather use precious space for attractions rather than stage shows. To me they make more financial sense and bring more utilization to the area. As an example, the Big Thunder Ranch area to me would be better served for new attractions rather than another stage show. That at is just my opinion.

Thoughts?

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: What is the value of live performances vs. new rides?

Unsure why you believe one comes at the expense of the other.

Disney can provide live shows and new rides.

Live shows can be produced much faster though which is why they seem 'easier' to do compared to a ride.

A ride takes many many years of planning.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

•   
    • Minion

I think there's room for both. There's a huge market for live Disney shows both in and out of the park.

In line with Disney's mission as a family park, there's a wide variety of ages and abilities that come through the gates. Maybe Grandma and Grandpa and Little Kid don't want to - or maybe they're not able to - go on every thrill ride, but they will enjoy sitting down and watching a show together, for instance.

And I think that the park itself gives Disney the opportunity to do shows they couldn't necessarily do outside of DLR. Fantasmic! for instance would probably be a lot tamer if it were on a conventional stage. World of Color? Not happening at all...

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, since I had to stand in the same spot for 8hrs a day at Disneyland and not go on any rides, I definitely learned to appriciate the value of live performers. Look at New Orleans Square. For a lot of people, it is their favorite land at Disneyland, and it only has two rides (granted, maybe the two best rides, but still). It's the detailed theming that makes it so good, and part of that is the performers. My favorite ODV wagon to work on was the popcorn wagon in New Orleans Square because that meant I'd get to watch the performers at the French Market as well as all of the different strolling musical acts. For a time, the Side Street Strutters used to do 8 - 10 performances a day right next to my wagon, and they had a guy (the "mayor" of New Orleans Square) come out with a parisol and dressed in old French cajun clothing and he'd dance a little bit and hand out mardi gras beads to all the kids in the crowd. Those are the most favorite because they have the illusion of spontinaity for the guest, and they're interactive.

An actual stage show in a building is less interesting for me because I like the interactivity, but Disney has managed to do some really good stand-alone live performances. The Power of Blast was always my favorite just because I've never seen anything like it and I was so impressed of the talent of the performers. Finding Nemo at Animal Kingdom is probably my favorite Broadway style show that Disney's ever done. Aladdin is also quite good, and the old Pocahontas show at the Fantasyland Theater was also quite good. My favorite was always the Festival of Fools show at Big Thunder Ranch, partly because it was more interactive then a traditional stage show.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Unsure why you believe one comes at the expense of the other.

My thinking here was that the park can normally hold only a ride or performers in one physical space. Typically you have to choose one or the other to be built in that spot of land.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    My thinking here was that the park can normally hold only a ride or performers in one physical space. Typically you have to choose one or the other to be built in that spot of land.
    Not 100% true - you can put a stage and the limited support structure necessary for it in a MUCH smaller footprint than any decent ride.

Sure, you could swap Jumpin' Jellyfish or a similar limited footprint carnival ride in place of most stages. With the queu (and not including the one or two "big" footprint stages like Hyperion and the Wonderbra) you are looking at close comparison in size. But really, is swapping out a stage show that can be changed up and completely replaced without more than cosmetic mods to the structure for a themed carnival ride a "positive"?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

We (me and my wife) have gone to DLR many, many times just to watch the performers. We will buy dinner or a snack and just enjoy the amazing talent.
    Lately we have been going to watch Mad T Party a lot. We even follow all the Mad T Party performers on FB.
    We will be going this weekend just to watch Tomasina as well as Scott Bruce (as well as watching a few sets of Mad T too!)(we really like the T)
    We really enjoy watching the very talented people at DLR, more so than any of the rides.

• Rock Star Minion

It is all about the investment required and the return on said investment.
    Attractions usually have a very high initial investment, and the actual return on an ongoing basis is very difficult to estimate, if it's even possible. Number of riders of the attraction divided by the total number of attraction riders for the day times some percentage of the admission revenue of for the day,...
    They are also more difficult to close down because of poor quality, due to the high start-up costs and the amortization schedule of said costs.

Live shows have the same issue with determining the return on investment, but they're usually a lot cheaper to create, and instead have a little higher ongoing costs (gotta pay the entertainers and backstage folks).
    Easier to close down because of poor quality, as there is less amortiazation of start-up costs.

HEY, WAKE UP! I'M TALKING BUSINESS HERE!!!!!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    HEY, WAKE UP! I'M TALKING BUSINESS HERE!!!!!
    Too late -- this is a Friday, TDA's suits went home after lunch.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Down Pluto!

Don't worry. They are not listening to guests anyway. They know what is best - just ask them... If you could.

Cowards.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Don't worry. They are not listening to guests anyway. They know what is best - just ask them... If you could.

Cowards.
    Really? Who is this comment for?

My vote is for live entertainment. All the streetmosphere/site-specific stuff is what makes Disney stand out IMO. Sure, people are not going to come in droves just to see the Dapper Dans, but entertainment like those guys is what keeps the entertainment going from place to place.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post

My vote is for live entertainment. All the streetmosphere/site-specific stuff is what makes Disney stand out IMO. Sure, people are not going to come in droves just to see the Dapper Dans, but entertainment like those guys is what keeps the entertainment going from place to place.
    Thank you - I KNEW I'd forgotten a piece of the puzzle.

Stages are one thing - already said my piece on that. The other "live" entertainment can make an area truly shine. DCA's got the Buena Vista residents that really bring the opening quad (street, hubette, cluster, have we got an official ruling on what it is yet?) to life. Knott's has it's gunfighters and such that do the same there and they're easily one of my favorite things about the park. USH's also on board - New York street has brownstone residents and cops (and occasional others) that banter back and forth, "London" has Bobbies and an occasional Buckinghamesque guard etc.

They're outsized characters to be sure, but theme parks are kinda outsized to begin with. They feel........ right?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Jeez - do I need to quote everything ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Too late -- this is a Friday, TDA's suits went home after lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post

Cowards.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    As an example, the Big Thunder Ranch area to me would be better served for new attractions rather than another stage show. That at is just my opinion.

Thoughts?

A lot of people complain about the shows and want rides instead. Get rid of The Magic Eye Theater, the Muppets Theater, Aladdin, and didn't want Mickey and the Magical Map.

Those attractions have huge capacity. They are big people eaters with small footprints when compared to BTMRR or Pirates. So why trade them out? They have a big following.

The Big Thunder Ranch doesn't draw big crowds to its shows, but is a multipurpose area. It is used for many special events, and some private parties It's far from sitting there unused, wasting space.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• film975

Another reason to consider is that rides take much longer to design and build than live entertainment does. Needless to mention, they're much more expensive as well. But live and atmospheric entertainment is one of the things that sets Disney's parks from all the others in the industry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast