Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• How Peculiar

How Do You React When a Show Gets Cancelled?

*Disclaimer: I don't mean to bash or hate, I'm just sharing what I experienced.

So today I went to California Adventure and signed up for the AP viewing of World of Color-Winter Dreams. As the night came, APs were let into the viewing area, it was like any other World of Color showing. People got there early, sat at there spot until the show started, might I add that the little Mickey's Fun Wheel game is VERY enjoyable, and waited.

The show started with the 'Glow' segment and both the projections and audio stopped toward the last :30 seconds of that segment. Everyone in the crowd went "awww," when the bay went silent. Once Paradise Pier's lights went back on a good majority booed. I didn't really understand hearing, "wow, I want a refund," or "so much for being an annual passholder." A few minutes later they announced that they would resume shortly, and of course everyone complaining quickly hushed. The show started with 'Glow' once again and stopped at the exact same spot. Within moments they announced the show was cancelled. The amount of complaints that roared through the crowd was really weird to me. I understand the disappointment and frustration when you wait for something and it ends up not showing, but I don't know ..

Maybe it's just me, but everyone in the crowd was an annual passholder. I was just waiting for someone to say, "well lucky for you, you can come back any time you want!"

So my question is, how do you react when a show gets cancelled?
    Last edited by scotchtape; 11-23-2013 at 12:00 AM.
    Fighting just to survive but you taught me I can.

• Singing Drinker

Re: How Do You React When a Show Gets Cancelled?

It's an unfortunate fact of life. It sounds like your show got taken down by a technical glitch, but that's only one valid reason for a cancellation - the DL fireworks get cancelled because of weather frequently, I've seen Fantasmic cancelled for that and for what I'm guessing were likely technical reasons (single show cancelled with the later performance going off correctly).

It's not like it's something they can really expect to know is going to happen too far ahead of time, and in cases of inclement weather or such it's something that should be expected. So I guess I just don't get too stressed over it, even if it's something I'm likely never going to be able to see again?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• #bringevilback

It's disappointing, for sure, and can be frustrating, but especially for an AP crowd the response was overly dramatic! You want your money back? this is what gives pass holders a bad name. Seriously, pick another day, any day...

Haha I was in that crowd. It was definitely disappointing after waiting an hour and a half for a spot only for it to be cancelled and I was looking forward to seeing it for about 3 weeks. (I think they had problems with audio) I did kind of wish that they would invite us to another viewing. I did stick around to see the 10:15 from the bridge to see WoC WD for the first time. I know that as an AP, I can technically come back whenever I want, but the problem is finding another day out of my schedule and allocate the entire evening for a Disneyland day. I'm sure that everyone was frustrated with the situation but I doubt that many of them went down to city hall and actually filed a complaint. But these AP events are just privileges and perks of being an AP and aren't guaranteed rights. And these technical issues are not Disney's fault and I see why they cancelled the 9 PM showing so they don't run into the 10:15 show.

Anyways, anybody know the type of problem they had which resulted in a cancellation?

Name:  IMG_20131122_210015.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  248.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20131122_210615.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  231.5 KB
    Last edited by DonaldMissingPants; 11-23-2013 at 01:51 AM.

• Minion

It would be frustrating, you've probably organised your night around it and maybe even driven a couple of hours to get there then the show just gets cancelled. Those comments were probably just made in the of the moment, I doubt that anyone would seriously want their money back for their annual pass.

• The doctor is in

It starts with anger.
    Then it moves to disappointment.
    Then onto sadness.
    Then back to anger.
    Then realization that now you can walk around and do more stuff.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Hooterville, USA

When a show gets cancelled, I react strongly. Especially if it's the Billy Hill Show!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Just go on to what I was going to do next! What else can you do? Life is short and you are at Disneyland - think of all the worse places you could be...

It's disappointing, but I go on to something else. They don't like to cancel shows, so there's clearly a reason for it.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• No Disassemble!

Nowadays I just shrug it off and say "well, we can catch it next week".

Man, the annual pass has diluted me quite a bit.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• formerly very helpful

I go into a blind, violent rage!

Naw, just kidding. That would be pretty pathetic. This is when being an adult comes into play. Of course there is disappointment, but that is life. I remember waiting a couple of hours for Fantasmic when this happened. Yes, I let out a big "Awwwwww" like everyone else, but I know that this wasn't in Disney's plan, either. Such is life.

•   
    • Minion

I was there and I did the 10:15 show - I guess whatever was wrong was worked out by then...

When a show is cancelled I honestly shrug it off. I think if you have been waiting in line for a long time to see something, and then it doesn't happen, it's obviously disappointing and frustrating - but the way I see it, it's one of those things that you can't do anything about one way or the other. Disney doesn't want the show to be cancelled any more than I do. So I'll just add my voice to the "awwwww" but I'll never boo - I'll just shrug, walk out and find something else to do.

•   

If I'm working, I cringe and wait patiently for people to start screaming at me.

If I'm there as a guest, I feel disappointed and then I move on.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I feel disappointed and may groan or grumble quietly for a few seconds and feel like, "Why does this always happen to ME?" . And then I move on and make the best of what is left of the day.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by scotchtape View Post
    I didn't really understand hearing, "wow, I want a refund," or "so much for being an annual passholder."
    If I were a betting man I'd say most of these were failed attempts at bon mot.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast